Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #1

Feedback Score: 104 (100%)
[SOLD] FS: Vivitar 100mm f3.5 Dedicated Macro PK-A Lens with 1:1 Matching Adapter

For sale one Vivitar 100mm f3.5 Dedicated Macro PK-A Lens with 1:1 Matching Adapter.
Near Mint Condition. With all original caps, box, packaging, instruction and documentation.
Asking $140. SOLD

This is the much discussed Cosina-made 100mm Macro. It has been reviewed in the Pentax section of photozone.de . It is almost universally widely praised for its image quality as maligned for its plastic construction. Optically, it is the same lens as the Pentax FA100mm f3.5 Macro, a well regarded macro lens. Like the Pentax version, it does 1:2 without any accessories. Unlike the Pentax version, Vivitar decided to include a 2 element multi-coated matching close-up adapter which when screwed on to the front, does a perfect 1:1. This adapter is much higher quality than any other close-up lens I have seen. (Oddly enough, it is even better than the lens itself, as it is made of metal )

This lens is in excellent condition. Multi-coating is perfect. Almost no dust. All the lettering is perfect. Diaphram is very snappy and the aperature ring clicks solidly. In fact the only flaw is one tiny nick on the metal mount which affects nothing. The barrel is perfectly solid, no wobble.

It has the "A" setting for automatic aperature control on camera. This is essential in macro photography if you want to use flash (which you will find to be very important unless you are trying to capture inanimate objects).

This is the Manual Focus version. Personally, I have tried both and I find the manual version much better than the autofocus version. The reason is that in the autofocus version, in order to accomodate the autofocus, the focus ring turns only about 1/2 of a turn. This one turns almost a full turn allowing much finer focusing. Also the focus ring is wider, allowing for a better grip, quite smooth and well damped unlike the much complained about loud autofocusing from the AF version of this lens. Most long-time macro users prefer to use manual focus because good focusing is critical especially with such shallow depth-of-views in macro photography.

I am the original owner. I am only letting this lens go because I recently came upon a good deal for a DFA Macro and no sense holding so many lenses.

For a first-time macro user. This is the lens I would recommend. You won't find a cheaper 100mm dedicated macro lens that still has 1:1 capabilities and excellent image quality.

Shipping for this lens is:

$10 inside the US
$30 international

Insurance is included in the shipping price.

I have excellent ratings here in this forum and 100% on ebay. Contact me if you need references.

Last edited by Youngster; 03-10-2008 at 09:18 AM.
03-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
PM sent for purchase.
03-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
image is way too big!!!!!!!