05-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
Pentax DA 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF]

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax DA 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF]

Asking Price
$385, including shipping in Australia, and including Paypal fee. USD or AUD, either is fine. USD

Item Location
Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Item Description
The lens for sale is the Pentax DA 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF].

The lens is in excellent condition, really is mint/excellent and could easily be described as "like new".

The glass is spotless, front and back, certainly no fungus etc. Snappy blades, focus ring rubber spot on, nothing to fault it. No issues with focusing and there is basically no wobble in the tubes even at full zoom.
I have not handled one of these lenses before, so I did notice the zoom creep. From the reviews this is standard for this lens. The fact that it has a focus lock (for use at 18mm) built in indicates that zoom creep was too be expected.

I purchased this lens second hand as part of a package. I was really after the body attached to the lens as a back up to my K-5 and the total package price was too good to pass up.
I don't need any more lenses! (heard that before?). I already have the 18-135 and 55-300, so a Super Zoom covering 18-250mm is not what I "need" next in my kit.
The camera it came off had less than 700 clicks...which I think explains why this lens is in such great condition.

The lens is original Australian stock...it came with the original receipt from Ted's Camera House...purchased from them September 2009.

Included with the lens is the original PH-RBB 62mm Lens Hood, the original Pentax front lens cap, original box, manual, warranty card with matching serial number and the original receipt (why not?).

The only thing missing is the original rear lens cap. I can include a Sigma K mount rear cap or a third party K mount cap...branded with Pentax but purchased off eBay and not a smooth fit like the original Pentax caps.

If you have any questions or concerns let me know.
Cheers
Dean

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Mint

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Shipping Included within Australia, Signature on Delivery Satchel. For International Shipping please contact me for a quote.

Shipping Services
Australia Post, or as you request at your expense.

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
I'm happy to except return within 7 days of you receiving the lens, if the item does not match the description.
I will refund the cost of your return postage if there is a genuine issue with the lens not being as described.
I will only accept Paypal, for both of our security. This is my first item listed on Pentax Forum, so I think Paypal will be best.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
Zoom creep is normal for this lens.

Optically, it is surprisingly good. I'd take this one over the 18-135 anytime.

Last edited by Bramela; 05-15-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Price comment not per regulations.Edited.
05-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 45 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Zoom creep is normal for this lens.

Optically, it is surprisingly good. I'd take this one over the 18-135 anytime. Great price.
This is indeed a fine lens. It's a staple for me. In the great outdoors, this lens is king.
05-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm...
Maybe I should be testing it more...I've only had it for a few days. I figured if I got it on the Market Place quickly I wouldn't be tempted to just keep it
I basically justified my purchase of the kit based on selling this lens
Thanks Class A and EarlVonTapia for the input/feedback.
Cheers
Dean

05-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 45 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
Hmmm...
Maybe I should be testing it more...I've only had it for a few days. I figured if I got it on the Market Place quickly I wouldn't be tempted to just keep it
I basically justified my purchase of the kit based on selling this lens
Thanks Class A and EarlVonTapia for the input/feedback.
Cheers
Dean

Whaaat?!

My friend you need to take that lens out for a spin! Despite it being an older lens, it's consistently rated as tops or near tops in its class based on discussions around the web.

I acquired it in very similar circumstances to yours: A local was switching from Pentax to Canon, and was selling off a body and this lens. I was honestly just going to flip them for some $$$, but after taking the lens for a spin, I decided to keep it. I used to roll with an 18-55 + 55-300 kit, but I had a terrible situation where a switch in the field caused giant blobs of hair to stick onto my sensor that almost ruined a weekend worth of shots.

The 18-250 solves the switch issue since it can adequately take the place of both. Now the 55-300 is long gone, and in its place is the 18-250, and I'm extremely pleased with my choice. Every morning as I'm heading out the door, I randomly pick a lens that will be my "lens for the day", and though I've never actually tracked it, I've had many many days where I go "damn I wish I brought the 18-250" instead of whatever other lens I chose for the day. It's to the point now where I would buy this lens (or its newer cousin) in a heartbeat should my 18-250 die/get lost/stolen somehow.

The 18-250 vs 18-135 question is a little more tougher, since the weather sealing is very attractive. Here's how I answered it. As someone who bought into Pentax largely for the weather sealing features, I found that I ended up clamoring for the nearly double reach more times than I wanted some extra weather sealing. I would say that only if you're an avid kayaker, or plan to go white water rafting, or are an army soldier stationed in desert conditions, then the weather sealing would come into play more. Otherwise, the reach trumps it.

So if I were in your shoes, I would keep the 18-250, sell the 18-135 and 55-300, and enjoy the extra cash in pocket and the simplicity and elegance of a one-lens catch-all solution.

And perhaps this will entice someone to buy the lens before you decide to keep it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
05-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
I had used one for very long time, great performer and very pleasant to use.
last MAY there was one "old stock" new with 12 months warranty ( so lucky!) , it was expensive but... it is mine now.
sold the "old" one and purchased new DA18-270 and the latest Sigma 18-250 MACRO HSM and now I have a real problem!
some photos with DA18-250:
Pentax DA 18-250 - a set on Flickr
it is a keeper!
05-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #7

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
PM sent.

05-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K3v1n5 Quote
PM sent.
Responded to PM

Cheers

---------- Post added 05-17-13 at 06:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I had used one for very long time, great performer and very pleasant to use.
last MAY there was one "old stock" new with 12 months warranty ( so lucky!) , it was expensive but... it is mine now.
sold the "old" one and purchased new DA18-270 and the latest Sigma 18-250 MACRO HSM and now I have a real problem!
some photos with DA18-250:
Pentax DA 18-250 - a set on Flickr
it is a keeper!
Hi i_trax
You know you're not making this any easier!
Certainly sounds like there is a high level of appreciation for this lens...but I'm going to stick with my plan, mostly for the WR on the 18-135.
Thanks for your comment and good luck deciding on which 18-250/270 to keep!

Cheers
Dean