Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
Traded! F-50/1.7

A trade has been made, thank you Pentax Forums!

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
F-50/1.7

Asking Price
200 USD

Item Location
Seattle, WA (United States)

Item Description
Here is a clean copy of the highly regarded F50/1.7 autofocus lens. I bought this lens on ebay, where it was listed as "minty" or "near mint" or something like that. I rated according our guidelines as best as I could. I am not the expert that some of you are, so if you have a specific condition concern, I'll be happy to look or photograph what I can at your direction. Autofocus is quick on my K5ii and not nearly as loud as suggested, maybe because it acquires so quickly.

EDIT: When I took the photo of this lens, in Lightroom I noticed the small chip @ 1:00 on the edge of threads. I looked back at the eBay photos and it was visible in the last one of them too. I went back and looked at the lens and it's hard to see with the eye, but very clear in the photos. The lens came to me with a UV filter and I'll include it, this is probably why I didn't notice it before. It's VERY small when not magnified, but it's there.The threads are not broken as are many of them.

It takes terrific pictures. I screwed up my lens buying strategy a bit and it directly competes with my K55 for time and as much as I like it, I like the K55 better. I also have another plastic AF lens around this focal length, so one needs to go. If not I would keep it and love it.

F50 1.7 - a set on Flickr
Flickr set with the eBay pictures on it, because they're really thorough (did I buy this from one of you guys?), but I've added some of my own so that you know I have it. I have also added some photos I took with the lens. Please ask any questions on your mind and I'll be happy to answer. I took photo above with the current issue of Seattle Magazine.

TRADE THOUGHTS:
First of all, I assume that this will sell and I will shop for the next lens, which is fine, but I'm open to trades and here are some things that might work. Some of these, I would need to add cash to make you whole and would of course. Because I'm not an established forum marketplace member, if you are, I might make an inequitable-for-me trade with you, if it's close (see below). I plan to stick around Pentax Forums and am willing to invest in reputation because I'm new.

* Primes in the 70-85 range. I'm likely going to shop for an SMC-M 85/2 or DA 70 ltd or similar, so I'd consider trades. Only interested in primes in this range and would need to be no slower than 2.8. MF or AF, if it's one that has good MF behavior.

* I could also use something that reached into the 200-300mm range, could be a prime or zoom. It's a lower priority to me and I can't say for sure what I would want badly enough, but I'll keep an open mind.

* I would also consider a lens that got me a 1.4 aperture, even if it were a 50. Having a 50/1.7 and a 55/1.8 didn't make since to me after a while, but I would try life with a 50/1.4 along side my K55/1.8. Here's an area where I would consider trading down in value with a good forum member without necessarily looking to be made whole. K/M/A 50/1.4 or the current model autofocus 50/1.4, in good condition. I chose this F50/1.7 because the pictures look better to me compared to these lenses, but it didn't win time on the camera away from my K55. I seem to take pictures in a lot of dark rooms, so maybe that extra 1/2 stop would be worth carrying a second lens around for.

MORE COMPLICATED SCHEMES:
* If you've got a Sigma 30/1.4 that doesn't have focus issues, but maybe you need something less dreamy and more all-purpose. I might be willing to trade the F50 and my DAL 35/2.4 for it. I actually really like the DAL, much more than I thought I would, which is one reason the F50 got bumped out of rotation, but again, I could use the 1.4 for some things that I do. It's a stretch, but I'll throw it out there.

* If you've got a 43/1.9 ltd that you haven't made friends with, I'd be willing to consider a multi-lens swap that might even include my beloved K55/1.8. It would definitely displace both my 35 and my 50. It's the only thing I would consider parting with my K55 over.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling or Trading

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
North America, I won't rule out shipping elsewhere, but we have to discuss.

Shipping Charge
Free in CONUS, we can talk about fees beyond

Shipping Services
FedEx, UPS, USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
This is my first sale here on Pentax Forums, so I'll be very liberal about making sure that you're happy in the end. I would prefer not to get the lens back once you buy it, but explain your issue and I'll be biased toward peaceful resolution.

If you say "I changed my mind", probably not, but if I described it poorly or something happens, I'd value my reputation over the transaction. I plan to be around here for quite a while.

How's that for a return policy?

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

---------- Post added 05-23-13 at 04:42 PM ----------

Taken with this lens today:

---------- Post added 05-24-13 at 05:41 AM ----------

I found a coupla of shots with this lens from last month that showed a bit of it's character too. I didn't quite nail the focus on the flower shot, but I liked it so much for that it almost was that I kept it anyway.

Last edited by troika; 05-27-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added pictures, expanded trade ideas, fixed spelln'
05-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
F-50/1.7 - Reduced

Okay, I'm going to drop my price once, then resort to eBay.

$200 all in, shipped CONUS, will consider shipping elsewhere, if you cover the difference in cost and it feels right. (Reduced from $220)

Still open to trades. Thanks for the one offer so far. It was tempting, but not quite right.

I'll add to my already extensive trade list the generic "manual primes". I've learned to catch in focus and...wow, a whole new world has opened up to me.

Last edited by troika; 05-26-2013 at 05:22 PM.
05-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
I have an SMC M 50 1.4 that is in very good condition considering it's age. There is some loss of paint on the lens cap lettering and that is really the only noticeable impairment. If you are interested let me know how much you would like me to add to accomplish a trade. Hoping to hear form you,

Jeff
05-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
PM Sent, jeff.

05-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 136 (99%)
Hi, I have some 1.4 prime lenses on the market right now, including M 50/1.4, S-M-C Takumar 50 1.4 and super takumar 50/1.4 early 8-element version, incase you are interested in.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/225939-sale-s...-50-1-7-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/225935-sale-s...wing-78-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/225934-sale-t...t-version.html
05-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
PM Sent, grahame
05-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 45 (100%)
Pm sent
05-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's not, it's gone. Sorry if I didn't close it out right. It went off in a FedEx box today in exchange for a couple of old primes that cover things that I was missing.

It is a fine lens, it was just kind of a solution in search of a problem in my lens lineup.

07-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #9

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
very nice prime lens
I am lucky to have one!!