PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Paul C. Buff White Lightning 10,000 strobe monolights

Asking Price
200 USD for two lights

Item Location
Indianapolis (United States)

Item Description
I'm selling some extra strobe lights that I no longer need. When I first built my home studio, I was using four of these White Lightning 10,000 monolights by Paul C. Buff. I've since upgraded my two main lights to newer White Lightning units, but I still use two of the 10,000's for my background and supplemental lights. I've kept these other two as spares, but these things are so reliable I think I may as well sell them so somebody else can enjoy them.

These lights would be perfect for the hobbyist who has been curious about experimenting with studio flashes, but did not want to spend a lot of money. Although newer lights have more features, such as finer adjustments, you can basically do almost anything you want with these lights. I've included some sample shots below showing some scenarios using one or both of the lights.

Click on any of the images below for a larger version

Sample Shots
After each photo of the soldier, the following picture shows how the shot was lit.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
$20 US, International varies

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
Returns only for item not as described

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

06-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 38 (97%)
What are you triggering them with, or are these constants?? I would really like to have them but don't know if its in the cards at the moment.
06-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
Are the umbrellas and stands included?
06-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
What are you triggering them with, or are these constants?? I would really like to have them but don't know if its in the cards at the moment.
I'm using an inexpensive wireless trigger/receiver set from eBay, similar to this set on eBay for $15.69:

Outdoor Studio 4 Channel Wireless FM Radio Remote Flash Trigger Kit | eBay

If you look at the pictures, you can see the receiver hanging from the back of one of the strobes. I only use the receiver on one of the strobes, and the other strobe is triggered by the optical "slave" sensor. You could trigger them both with the slave sensor using the flash on your camera if you wanted to, but then you have to be worried about your camera's flash interfering with the lighting.

---------- Post added 06-07-13 at 08:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Are the umbrellas and stands included?
No, I don't have any extra stands or umbrellas, but that stuff is pretty cheap on eBay and Amazon. Here's a pair of stands on Amazon for $18.69 + $7.99 shipping:
Amazon.com: PBL Light Stands Photo Video 6'6" Stands Set of Two with Bags: Camera & Photo
And here's a pair on eBay for $26.90 shipped.
2pcs Heavy Duty Air Cushion Spring Photo Studio Stand Tripod Photography | eBay
And here's a selection of photography umbrellas on Amazon starting at $2.61 + $3.98 shipping:
Amazon.com: photography umbrella - Camera & Photo: Electronics
And here's an umbrella on eBay for $5.06 shipped:
33'' 83cm Studio Flash Translucent White Soft Umbrella Photography Lighting | eBay

---------- Post added 06-07-13 at 12:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
are these constants??
No, they're not constants. They do have modeling lights that are constantly on, and you could use them as "hot lights", but you would have to have the ISO boosted quite a bit on your camera.

These are strobe lights, and when the strobes flash they are incredibly bright. All of the pictures below were taken with the aperture set very small.

06-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #5

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
This may be a dumb question, but how do these attach to the light stands? (I've only ever used small speedlights on stands before)
06-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kromwell Quote
This may be a dumb question, but how do these attach to the light stands?
That's actually a good question. I don't know how people usually attached these particular lights, but this is what I used to attach them to stands when I was using them as my main lights:

Here they are on Adorama for $4.99 each:

Smith Victor 500UM Universal Adaptr Replacement Block 401971

If you look at the pictures of the lights, you'll see that the flat metal bracket has a small hole in the center. You stick the threaded stud from the above block through the hole on the bracket, and then you tighten the nut down on top. Then you can slide the block onto the top of a stand and screw the thumb screw down to tighten it. Here's a picture to help demonstrate:

I suppose you could also just bypass the mounting block, and instead just use a nut, as long as your stand has a little threaded stud on top of it. But the mounting blocking makes it easier to take the lights on and off the stands since it has a thumb screw. But if you found the right size wing nut, then that would probably work well too.

---------- Post added 06-14-13 at 10:36 PM ----------

The strobes have been sold for the asking price. Thank you to those who expressed interested.