PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6

Asking Price
50.00 USD **** Dec 6th, 2013 : $40!

Item Location
Minden, NV (United States)

Item Description
Up for grabs here is my full frame Sigma 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 super zoom lens. It is a K-mount lens with a screw driven focus. Front and rear caps are included. The front of the lens does not have filter/hood threads. A thread adapter is included that mounts like a bayonet. If you had the right bayonet mounting style hood then you can mount that instead. I used a simple collapsable rubber hood which was screwed onto the thread adapter. No hood is included here.

There are no visible signs of fungus, haze, or external scratches. However, this is what appears to be one blemish (smudge?) on the inside front element. You can almost see it in the photos. It's pretty small and being in the front it doesn't affect IQ. The zoom barrel operates well but there is an ever so slight increase in rotating stiffness as you approach 200mm. I think it's more because the amount/rate of extension seems to increase as you zoom further out and this increase translates to a bit more stiffness.

IQ is generally good for this older super zoom. The lens can flare a lot without a hood. I used a simple 72mm rubber hood (not a WA hood) and it made a big difference. Any vignetting from the standard hood must have been cropped out by the APS sensor because I did not see this effect. Images are a little soft in the corner when the aperture is wide open as should be expected. Stop it down from f/8 to f/13 and you will get pretty sharp images. Colors are natural without being saturated. Metering was generally spot-on with my K-30 with only an occasional need for compensation.

I've heard people call this a "vacation lens" and I would agree. Take this lens with you when you want to capture the moment vs. capture a work of fine art. IQ will still be plenty good enough for prints if that's what you want but will lack if you pixel-peep at 100%-200% zoom-in. You will quickly learn the lens' strengths and weakness. Once you do it will work well for you. This lens seems to pop up under other name brands as well: Quantaray, Tamron, and even Pentax. I'm not sure what the differences are. Coatings, maybe? I recently got the same lens under the Pentax name brand with the SMC coatings and matching OEM hood. So, this Sigma lens is a duplicate for me.

I am attaching a scaled down shot I made with this lens of a creek near my work. You can see the full size image on my flickr account.

Price is $50 plus shipping to anywhere in the world. US address will probably be around $8 or so. Maybe $10. International will be more.

I'd like to be paid via PayPal.

I would like to offer a 48 hour evaluation period. Try the lens. If you don't like it then mail it back and I will refund you the cost of the lens.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling or Trading

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge

Shipping Services
US Postal

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
48 hour evaluation. Ship the lens back and I will refund the cost of the lens.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo   

Last edited by 6BQ5; 12-06-2013 at 09:24 PM.
12-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 44 (100%)
Original Poster
Sunday bump!
12-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 44 (100%)
Original Poster
Price drop to $40!
12-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 35 (100%)