Item for Sale
Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.8 macro 1:1 w/ 'A' setting in original case

Asking Price
240.00 USD

Item Location
Denver (United States)

Item Description

Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 manual focus 1:1 macro, 'A' version. $240 + $15
shipping/insurance to U.S. destinations. (Inquire about international, but it will be significantly more.)

Legendary lens made by Kino/Kiron that was available under several names other than this: Lester Dine, Rikenon, etc. I believe it is really a f/2.8 lens -- they liked to play games with these to make the different versions seem like they were actually different (they weren't). It will will show as f/2.4 on your DSLR rather than f/2.5. Has 'A' contacts, so you don't need to use green-button metering, and you get multi-segment metering, can use all camera modes, easy flash exposures, etc.

This lens is very well-known, so not much to say about it -- plenty of reviews out there. It is heavy, all metal-build. Sharp from wide-open, although can purple fringe at widest apertures on some high-contrast subjects. Stop down to f/5.6 or more and it might cut you. This copy is gorgeous, virtually no wear, and comes in original case which is also in great condition. Glass is flawless and it works perfectly. (Any dust you see in pics is just on the surface.) Aperture snappy, no internal dust that I can see, it really doesn't look used. There are a few tiny marks/nicks around the mount. Focus smooth -- huge throw as you can see. Once you get past 1:2 heading to 1:1, the resistance changes slightly but is still easy and precise. This is typical of many older manual focus macros, plus the grease probably needs to be worked a bit since it hasn't been used hardly ever from the looks of it.

Comes with original front cap and generic rear cap as shown (front cap has some minor scuffs).

One other issue that really isn't an issue anymore: When I received this lens, the 'A' setting read the wrong aperture range on any body I put it on. Specifically, it read f2.8-f16 (rather than f2.4-f32 like it is supposed to), which is the "default" on these A lenses if there are no conductive contacts under the pins. So even though the mount has 3 metal conductors in the correct places, for some reason it wasn't conducting. I don't understand how this was even possible (since they are clearly metal, and not recessed -- it was making contact), and I cleaned them, etc, but still it didn't work. So I ended up removing the mount and using a "conductive pen" (using for fixing circuit boards and such) to put conductive material on these conductors -- I took off the mount so I could put some on the underside as well. (I did an experiment with foil tape first to see if it would work from the underside.) And lo and behold, the lens now reads fine and works perfectly. I did put some material on the front side too, but I was afraid it was rub off over time or come off with cleaner or something so I ended up physically scratching those up a bit so that material is mostly gone. It occurred to me (too late) that may have been an easier solution that would have worked in the first place without removing the mount. But I don't know -- it may also have needed the extra conductivity to the metal next to it which it wasn't getting for some reason.

So anyway, if you look closely at the picture of the mount, you'll see the 3 contacts are a bit scratched up, and that's why. But the 'A' setting does work absolutely correctly now and there is no reason to think that problem will reoccur. Possibly those contacts not working right until now is the reason this lens is so pristine.

Asking $240 + $15 shipping U.S. Delivery to your PayPal verified address only! International destinations or other arrangements possible if you have good forum feedback and I get good vibes. Just inquire -- shipping will be significantly more for outside U.S.. Denver locals are welcome to inspect lens in-person and pay cash (and avoid shipping charge). PM me if interested or have questions!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
15 USA

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Will accept return if not as stated. Please notify within 3 days of delivery.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

Last edited by vonBaloney; 12-08-2013 at 11:56 PM.
12-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Somebody snatch this up. A very good price for a good macro lens.
12-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
Yeah really! Get it quick! Its too bad this lens always seems to appear when I am completely broke. You'd be hard pressed to find a better macro lens than this.
12-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #4

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
PM

you sir, have a PM!

12-09-2013, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 60 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
You'd be hard pressed to find a better macro lens than this.
Unless you find a rare Voigtländer 125mm to buy... which will be about $2000 more!
12-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
I did say hard pressed LOL! I'd also put the pentax 100mm up there with the vivitar. Both are really superb macros. I think I know which one I would buy though.
This copy is beautiful. I'm shocked nobody pounced on it yet. Wanna take a payment plan? LOL :P
12-09-2013, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 63 (100%)
Original Poster
Sold!

Last edited by vonBaloney; 12-09-2013 at 10:58 AM.