Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
I picked up a mint DA*55 off Craigslist for $500, and it is extremely sharp even from f1.7. I was happy with the price, and it's turned out to be a very nice portrait lens. I also like that it's WR and has silent AF. (Though I do love my FA 43, the noise from that screwdrive is godawful!) The manual focusing on these SDM lenses (16-50, 50-135, and now this 55) is adequate, certainly much better than either the FA 50/1.4 or FA 50/1.7 I've owned, but the manual focus on say, the DA 35 Macro Ltd or D-FA 100 WR, feels much better. Be that as it may, I've found that the DA*55 autofocus is dead on, no Custom Menu AF adjustment required at all, at least on my K5ii. I do find the hood to be kind of bulky, and so it makes a much larger package than anything such as DA 15 Ltd, 35 Ltd, FA 43, etc. KEH is a good way to go, and their condition ratings are very reliable, perhaps even a bit conservative. The 35 Ltd I bought from them was a very good deal, but was rated only "EX+" (rather than "LN"), merely because it did not come with a pouch or box. If prices are close, I'd certainly opt for KEH and have the return policy and condition ratings, rather than deal with Craigslist. I can tell you my purchase experience with Craigslist was definitely a hassle. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by NeverSatisfied; 01-09-2014 at 06:33 PM.
01-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
Original Poster
@NeverSatisfied, thank you for the feedback.

I just bought Lee's DA* 55 for $ 535 including shipping insurance and signature confirmation to my confirmed address. I asked for and received better images of the lens and it's like new by appearance. No oil or dust on the blades or any nicks or dings.

I'm excited, but my fingers are crossed…
01-09-2014, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
Original Poster
@Wired's perfect focus suggestion

@zbrueningsen, since starting to use @Wired's perfect focus suggestion at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...ml#post2508511, my OOF shots have dropped dramatically and my rapid shooting zips by very quickly.

What's attached is just quick stuff during Drusus' first swim this afternoon. No PP. These are the first 3 of 6 and while not sharp, sharp; they're darn better than the half-shutter I've been dealing with for years. Further, I blasted through 83 quickies like these from various angles and heights and they all came out reasonably clear. My old style shooting would had me lucky to get 2-3 good out of them.

I'm still learning and experimenting. Ciao!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo