Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
[SOLD] Misc items (flash, filters, XD card)

Clearing out the drawer

1. Starblitz 3800DFS flash. This is older thyristor/TTL flash with bounce and swivel capability. It has also another smaller flash that you can tilt upwards for another fill-in light. It has dedicated Pentax hotshoe adapter (DP-1) and the head has manual zoom. Flash has 5 automatic settings, TTL setting and manual setting. Please note that I was unable to get this flash synchronized with my DSLR. It is probably good for use with film cameras or with wireless triggers (though I do not have any to test it). It does fire, charges and all the leds are working though. Sold

pic1
pic2
pic3

2. Fujifilm 512MB xD card. Do not remember how I got this one but have no use for it. Comes with the plastic case. Sold

3. OEC 72mm Grad ND filter. Used once on my new lens but either I do not like the effect or I do not know how to use it. Comes with plastic case. Sold

4. Tiffen 52mm UV filter. Comes with generic case. Sold

pic1

5. Tiffen 52mm 80A filter. I have no idea what this filter does but it is blue in color (see picture). Sold

pic1

All prices plus actual shipping via USPS. Payment via PayPal (no extra fees). Open to reasonable offers for 2 or more items or take all for $22 plus shipping.

See more items in thread.

Thanks.

Last edited by drabina; 04-15-2008 at 09:41 AM.
04-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
80A is for shooting under Tungsten lights I believe.

D.
04-11-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
Are you saying that the camera can't trigger the flash? If the camera can't do that I doubt remote triggers will.
04-11-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Matjazz: Camera does trigger the flash (I can see it going off) but I think there is a problem with synchronization. So like I said, it will work just fine film cameras and probably with the wireless triggers.

04-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #5

Feedback Score: 24 (100%)
PM for flash coming.....
04-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
Matjazz: Camera does trigger the flash (I can see it going off) but I think there is a problem with synchronization. So like I said, it will work just fine film cameras and probably with the wireless triggers.
Well, I see there's a PM on the flash, so it probably doesn't matter, but for people's edification since the question has been raised:

Cameras through the *istDS2 functioned with old TTL (a few cameras including digitals D through DS2, as well as the last-generation film cameras, had old TTL as well as new P-TTL systems). Old TTL used "off the film" (or digital sensor) during-exposure metering, telling the flash to stop once enough light had hit. New P-TTL has a pre-exposure flash to determine amount of exposure in advance.

I believe all cameras since K10/100 on have only new P-TTL. There is no physical meter to read off sensor itself during exposure for old-style TTL to work. With these cameras, old flashes (at *least* when set to TTL--not sure what happens if set to manual) will have their flash triggered in the pre-exposure phase (the flash mistakes the pre-exposure cue as the cue to flash, or something like that), and thus will have already fired before the actual exposure.

For wireless trigger, I'd suspect the same issue would arise but I don't know this. Seems to me last time I tried my Bronica studio flashes, they were being triggered by the pre-exposure P-TTL flash and failing to synch too, but maybe a smarter slave trigger would somehow "understand" & communicate between the P-TTL-based camera and an old-style flash to get them to synch.

Search threads on the forum for more, but in a nutshell, that's my understanding of the compatibility or lack thereof.

Just remembered I still have one of these, with an Olympus adapter. Out of blind curiosity (and with reckless abandon), I threw it on my K10 to see what would happen. It synchs! It's own "auto" mode exposes...well, pretty consistently, though it seems to vary by subject (dark subject consistently underexposed by the same amount, as if it were reading ambient light rather than reflected, magically). To be really crazy, I set it to "Manual/TTL" mode and had the switch on the Olympus adapter set to "TTL". It still synched. Probably because the Olympus TTL connections are different from the Pentax ones, so the flash isn't triggered by the Pentax P-TTL signal. Likewise, set to TTL it fires fully, again since it wouldn't receive a signal to stop firing. Okay, I'm taking it off my camera now before I burn out the K10's flash circuitry with the mis-matched electronics (what a stupid gamble I just took!). But this is a neat flash with the two flash heads, and option to mix direct & bounce flash in one. Maybe I should figure out whether this OM mount is actually safe to use on a K10D... This could be fun--if it's not wrecking my camera!

Last edited by David Whiteley; 04-11-2008 at 04:36 PM.
04-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info David.

I have another flash (thyristor/TTL) that does synch with the camera even the flash is not P-TTL. So I guess it is just some of the flashes that do not work with DSLRs.

I have not received PM from Tdo0003 so the flash is still available.

04-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All items are sold.