Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 41 (100%)
Holy I did not know that such an epic lens had its home here in Vancouver. Good luck with the sale sir!

01-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
Original Poster
I know of two other FA star 600mm F4 lenses in greater Vancouver. One of the two guys has both the K mount and the 645 600mm F5.6.

Let me know if you want to meet up to try it out. Probably going to Reifel Saturday morning.

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Holy I did not know that such an epic lens had its home here in Vancouver. Good luck with the sale sir!

---------- Post added 01-25-2014 at 01:26 PM ----------

Met up with EarlVonTapia from the forum at Reifel Island this morning. There was a lot of fog, so not optimal conditions to shoot the 600. He did get a good look at it, and we even tried out his Q10 which looks ridiculously small on the 600. That's an interesting picture, which I will post tomorrow after I get home. Thank you again Earl for taking the time to come out and look at the lens. Too bad that we had so much fog.

Last edited by pureluck; 01-24-2014 at 09:52 AM.
01-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 41 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by pureluck Quote
Met up with EarlVonTapia from the forum at Reifel Island this morning. There was a lot of fog, so not optimal conditions to shoot the 600. He did get a good look at it, and we even tried out his Q10 which looks ridiculously small on the 600. That's an interesting picture, which I will post tomorrow after I get home. Thank you again Earl for taking the time to come out and look at the lens. Too bad that we had so much fog.
Indeed we did. It was a pleasure to meet you. It's always nice to meet up with fellow members and local Pentax shooters. And thank you for bringing my attention to the Reifel Island Bird Sanctuary. I will definitely go back there.

I was asked via. PM from a fellow member/prospective buyer from out of town to check out the lens pureluck was selling and make sure it was real and functional and in the condition as described. This is understandable since it is such a huge purchase, and pureluck has no marketplace feedback on the forums. And I would want another member to do the same for me were I in the position of making a massive purchase for a lens without being able to check it out in person.

Pureluck asked me to post my observations in this thread since he has been getting questions from prospective buyers as to whether or not the lens he is selling even exists. I said yes.

The lens does indeed exist. I saw it today and was able to handle it myself. It was unfortunately a foggy morning, but we did manage to get some shots in.

The lens body shows cosmetic wear, as described and shown in the pictures posted by pureluck earlier in the thread. The two-part hood was snug but firm, and that's probably preferable to it being more loose. There are also a few chips off the paint in various parts of the body, but nothing major.

The glass is exceptionally clean. There are a few tiny specks, but nothing out of the ordinary (in fact, I would say it's extraordinarily clean), and certainly nothing that will affect image quality.

We tried it out with his K3. Autofocus is smooth and snappy. The lens is screwdrive, so it produces that screwdrive noise. There is an AF/MF clutch on it (similar to what is found on the Tamron 90 Macro) that must be engaged/disengaged in addition to the AF/MF switch on the camera body. MF was also smooth. No tightness at any point.

There is a drop-in slot for filters. We didn't use any, but he showed me how to put one in. It looked fine.

We did not try out any of the teleconverters.

The Wemberley gimbal head that is accompanying the lens worked quite well too. It allowed for smooth motion and operation of the lens with body attached. It seemed secure at all times, and was easy to adjust.

I was also given the chance to test it out with my Pentax Q. The crop factor of the Q is 5.5, making the F*600mm an effective 3300mm lens.

So there ya go. I hope that helps out pureluck and any prospective buyers.

Keep in mind a few things:

- I have never seen or used an F* 600mm before or a Wemberley gimbal head, so I have nothing to compare to my experiences today. Everything seemed fine, but I have no idea if I had a typical experience with these items.
- My writeup is accurate as of the time of this post. Something may or may not happen to the lens from now, but if so, it's after I saw it.
- From this point on, unless I am specifically asked of something by the seller or a buyer, I am no longer involved with this deal.

Good luck with the sale pureluck and to all prospective buyers. Stop asking him if it's real. It is.

EDIT: Attached some pics. In order going down:

1. F*600 with hood fully extended and K3 attached on Wemberley gimbal head.
2. Closeup of the F*600 decal on the lens body.
3. F*600 + Pentax Q (using 3rd party Q - K converter) = 3300mm lens!
4. F*600 + Q in action.
5. Shot taken with previously mentioned combo. Please keep in mind the weather conditions at the time + my (lack of) skill.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SGH-I747M  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SGH-I747M  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by EarlVonTapia; 01-25-2014 at 09:10 PM.
01-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Earl thank you again for posting about the lens. I will put up some of my pictures when I get home later tonight.

01-25-2014, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Attached are some of my photos from this morning. I'm working with the jpgs, and minimal processing to give you a feel for what's actually coming from the camera.
I have simply used the Photoshop PS4 auto contrast, and resized the image to make it appropriate for upload. No cropping or other editting has been done.

1. Q10 and Earl. Image of my 600 F4 with Earl's Q10 attached, and Earl.
2. We shot this cattail from about 20 feet away. The lens can focus down to less than 15 feet.
3. Cat tail approx from 50 feet away.
4.A duck from about 40 or 50 feet.
5. A shot showing the conditions we were shooting in. Lots of fog to deal with.

Earlier someone compared this lens to the new Pentax 560 F5.6. A reasonable thought.
This lens is a true full frame lens. The 560 is not.
This lens has a 150mm front glass. The 560 is a 112mm front lens.
The 560 does have a SDM motor for focus, so that would probably be faster and quieter.
This lens is an F4, The 560 is F5.6
Both are great lenses, and each will have it's uses.
I don't know if the 1.4XL teleconverter will work with the new lens.

If anyone has any further requests for information, or specific test photos, please message me. I would be happy to do any tests you need.

---------- Post added 01-25-2014 at 10:48 PM ----------

One more comment. On the last image. The bark that is visible on the Q10 screen is from the angled tree on the left side of the image. Probably 100 feet away across a slough.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-25-2014, 11:55 PM   #21
Kiwi Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by pureluck Quote
1. Q10 and Earl. Image of my 600 F4 with Earl's Q10 attached, and Earl.
Earl's cover is blown :-)

Thanks for all the information and images. A really lovely lens. As a Q owner, I can appreciate the appeal of attaching it to the F*600.
01-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 56 (100%)
Thanks, Earl, you have done us a great service!
01-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Damn....why do I have to see this now? I`m just in the process of buying a house... (drools, weeps and grabs a bottle of whiskey to erase this add from memory...)

01-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 25 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Damn....why do I have to see this now? I`m just in the process of buying a house... (drools, weeps and grabs a bottle of whiskey to erase this add from memory...)
LOL! Just raise your mortgage with 10K$ more and you'll be able to buy it at a fair mortgage rate! (better than personal rates)

01-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
LOL! Just raise your mortgage with 10K$ more and you'll be able to buy it at a fair mortgage rate! (better than personal rates)

Plus he can write the interest off on taxes - at least in the states.
01-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Plus he can write the interest off on taxes - at least in the states.
Those days are long gone overhere...
01-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #27
Kiwi Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Those days are long gone overhere...
Well....I suppose that Kickstarter could be another alternative for you, you just need to tell a good story
01-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)

Been there, done that.
01-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Offer accepted, pending negotiation of the details to complete the sale. Thank you to everyone who participated.