Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 68 (100%)
Tom, I asked a question. I wasn't looking for additional assumptions placed on it. But thank you for answering the question.

01-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #17

Feedback Score: 30 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Gifted, yes. Bought and sold to another person, no. And saying the first to cover the second is fraud.
What is the basis of this statement? I can find no support for it in the manufacturer's warranty, the extended warranty, or elsewhere. Aside from that, it seems impractical that Pentax would set up a system in which it would be required to make a factual determination as to whether a camera was purchased or gifted in providing warranty coverage.
01-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by freerider Quote
What is the basis of this statement? I can find no support for it in the manufacturer's warranty, the extended warranty, or elsewhere. Aside from that, it seems impractical that Pentax would set up a system in which it would be required to make a factual determination as to whether a camera was purchased or gifted in providing warranty coverage.
It came directly from Pentax. PM them for yourself.
01-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #19

Original Poster
It came directly from Pentax. PM them for yourself.
I'll believe it when I see it in the warranty. And if in fact you are correct, which I doubt, the warranty is misleading and should be changed.

Last edited by freerider; 01-27-2014 at 11:32 AM.
01-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
just for curiosity went to ricoh's warranty page.

the one year basic warranty says nothing about non transferability

only the EXTENDED warranty explicitly states "non transferrable" with several mentions of "original purchaser'

so one COULD conclude that the basic one year warranty follows the product as long as a valid receipt showing original purchase date is included in the transaction.

RICOH IMAGING products originally distributed by RICOH IMAGING CORPORATION, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202, have a limited One-Year Warranty starting from the date of purchase. This limited warranty covers any defects in original factory materials and workmanship. If your RICOH IMAGING product malfunctions due to such a defect within this one-year period, RICOH IMAGING CORPORATION will repair it at no charge within a reasonable amount of time. This warranty does not cover any damage caused to the product, including, but not limited to: impact, moisture, liquid, sand, excessive temperature, battery leakage, chemical corrosion, mishandling, operation contrary to operating instructions, tampering, modification, or servicing by an unauthorized repair shop. RICOH IMAGING shall not be liable for any consequential or incidental damages, such as memory cards, batteries, travel expenses, loss of time, etc. This warranty only applies to RICOH IMAGING photographic equipment originally distributed in the United States by RICOH IMAGING CORPORATION, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202

there's the ENTIRE disclaimer

Product Repair & Service - RICOH Imaging

there's the web page
01-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
just for curiosity went to ricoh's warranty page.

the one year basic warranty says nothing about non transferability

only the EXTENDED warranty explicitly states "non transferrable" with several mentions of "original purchaser"

Product Repair & Service - RICOH Imaging

there's the web page
A close reading of Pentax's extended warranty indicates to me that "original purchaser" refers to the original purchaser of the warranty not the original purchaser of the camera.
01-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'll believe it when I see it in the warranty. And if in fact you are correct, which I doubt, the warranty is misleading and should be changed.
In that case, show me where in the warranty it says you can do it. Two can play that game. As I said, I got the info directly from Pentax USA a couple years ago when the question came up. Maybe Ricoh changed it since then. As I suggested, contact them yourself and see what they say.

01-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
So outside of warranty is the camera still available?

JJ
01-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
So outside of warranty is the camera still available?

JJ
Yes the camera is still available. I will respond to Tom's most recent post later tonight.

---------- Post added 01-27-14 at 08:12 PM ----------

In that case, show me where in the warranty it says you can do it. Two can play that game. As I said, I got the info directly from Pentax USA a couple years ago when the question came up. Maybe Ricoh changed it since then. As I suggested, contact them yourself and see what they say.
I base my understanding of the warranty on the language of the warranty. I don't think there can be any reasonable dispute that the warranty itself creates Ricoh's repair obligations, and controls over a two-year old email issued by Pentax to a single consumer. Below is what Ricoh has posted on its website about the extended warranty. The website is essentially the same as the extended warranty card that I purchased along with my K-5II in December.

The RICOH IMAGING Extended Limited Warranty includes one complete check-up to be provided anytime during the warranty period. The inspection covers all camera functions to ensure each meets factory specifications. You must keep a copy of your extended warranty card along with a copy of your original purchase receipt to receive warranty service.

For Factory Service, please send to:
RICOH IMAGING SERVICE DEPARTMENT:
250 N. 54th Street
Chandler, AZ 85226

In your package, please include the following:
A. A copy of the Extended Warranty Card.
B. A copy of your dated proof of purchase (sales receipt, charge slip, etc.).
C. A note describing the problem with a complete return address.
D. All necessary items, such as batteries or other items related to the problem.
E. Any sample pictures. Please include your memory card with images that show the problem.
F. A check or money order in the amount of $19.95 to cover shipping and handling.
NOT VALID IN FLORIDA, THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW

Extended Warranty Statement
1. The extended limited warranty is registered with RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION. It is not refundable or transferable and is only valid if received at the same time as the purchase of a new RICOH IMAGING Camera, which is covered by a RICOH IMAGING New Product One-Year Limited Warranty. This extended warranty applies only to the RICOH IMAGING Cameras distributed solely by the U.S. distributor, RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600 Denver, Colorado 80202 and purchased from a RICOH IMAGING authorized dealer.

2. RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION warrants to the original purchaser the product, once registration is completed, to operate according to factory specifications for a period of three years from the original date of purchase (one-year standard + two-year extended). This warranty is limited to the repair, adjustment or replacement of defective parts at RICOH IMAGING's option.

3. Furthermore, RICOH IMAGING will provide, at no charge, one complete check-up at any time during the warranty period. This includes inspection of all camera functions to see that they meet factory specifications.

4. This warranty shall NOT apply if it is shown by RICOH IMAGING that the defect or malfunction was caused by damage resulting from operation of the product contrary to instructions contained in the owner's manual, or any misuse or abuse of the product. Also, this warranty does not cover any defect which has occurred as a result of any modification or servicing performed by anyone other than RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION. Routine cleaning and normal cosmetic and mechanical wear are not covered under the terms of this warranty, except as described under #3 above.

5. RICOH IMAGING's sole responsibility is as set forth above. RICOH IMAGING SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES (such as damaged memory cards, processing, travel, batteries, etc.) RESULTING FROM ANY BREACH OF WARRANTY, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, APPLICABLE TO THIS PRODUCT. Since some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of consequential or incidental damages, this limitation may not apply to you.

6. If this product needs service, pack it carefully, using ample packing material to prevent damage during shipment, and mail it to the RICOH IMAGING Service Center, postage prepaid and insured. NOTE: RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION will not assume the responsibility for damages or loss encountered in transit, but will assist the sender in processing any claims whenever possible.

NOT VALID IN FLORIDA,THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. THIS U.S.A. EXTENDED WARRANTY IS ONLY VALID WHEN CAMERA IS SENT TO RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION.

A plain reading of the extended warranty statement establishes the following: 1) the extended warranty is registered with Ricoh; 2) the benefits of the extended warranty extend to the "original purchaser," once registration is complete; 3) in order to receive service under the warranty, a warranty holder need only meet the requirements set forth in steps A through F.

Although Ricoh doesn't define "original purchaser," I understand this language to mean the original purchaser of the warranty. This reading is supported by the registration requirement, which clearly applies to the extended warranty. Significantly, there is nothing in the statement to suggest that one must be the original purchaser of the camera in order to purchase a valid extended warranty. This makes sense in view of the statement that the extended warranty is non-transferable. If Ricoh intended to make its extended warranty available only to original purchasers of the product, it sure didn't make that clear in the warranty. Moreover, there is no requirement that the proof of purchase bear the name of the original purchaser of the camera, nor is there any distinction between receiving the camera as a gift or through sale from the original purchaser of the camera. To make service contingent upon additional, undisclosed requirements would be highly misleading, and probably unlawful. If you have authority to the contrary, I'd be interested in seeing it.
01-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

If you are so sure, are you willing to warranty the camera for the extended period if Ricoh/Pentax refuses to?
01-28-2014, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Here's my question to and the reply, direct from Ricoh/Pentax:

Your Email:
Someone has a new K3 they just bought a couple weeks ago and didn't register it. If I buy this from them, is it still covered under the 1 year warranty? Also, can I still purchase the extended 2 year warranty?

Thanks!

Thank you for contacting RICOH.

The manufacturer's one year warranty and the 2-year extended warranty are available only to the original purchaser of the K-3. RICOH/PENTAX warranties are not transferable. Extended warranties must be purchased by the original owner within 30 days of the camera purchase date.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION
PHONE: 800.234.0276 / 800.877.0155

Any futher discussion should be taken up with Ricoh, as I believe the above is quite plain.

Last edited by Tom S.; 01-28-2014 at 07:20 AM.
01-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #27

Original Poster
Here's my question to and the reply, direct from Ricoh/Pentax:

Your Email:
Someone has a new K3 they just bought a couple weeks ago and didn't register it. If I buy this from them, is it still covered under the 1 year warranty? Also, can I still purchase the extended 2 year warranty?

Thanks!

Thank you for contacting RICOH.

The manufacturer's one year warranty and the 2-year extended warranty are available only to the original purchaser of the K-3. RICOH/PENTAX warranties are not transferable. Extended warranties must be purchased by the original owner within 30 days of the camera purchase date.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION
PHONE: 800.234.0276 / 800.877.0155

Any futher discussion should be taken up with Ricoh, as I believe the above is quite plain.
I would say that Pentax/Ricoh's response is contrary to the language of its own warranty, misleading, and should be the subject of a consumer class action.
01-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #28

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
Hello,

Here in France, the warranty is fully transferable. The warranty sticks to the product.

Regards.

Malsi
01-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #29

Original Poster
I would say that Pentax/Ricoh's response is contrary to the language of its own warranty, misleading, and should be the subject of a consumer class action.
I just spoke to Randall on the phone. He essentially repeated what he wrote you in his email. When I asked him to direct me to any language in the warranty that supported his understanding he was unable to do so and started back peddling, saying that there are different warranties for different countries and different states within the U.S.

He also directed me to the warranty policy in the K-3 manual. When I informed him that there was no language supporting his understanding in the warranty policy section, he again had no answer.

Here's a link the K-3 manual: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3.pdf. Check out page 104. Please let me know if you find any support for your position in the manual.

---------- Post added 01-28-14 at 10:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Malsi Quote
Hello,

Here in France, the warranty is fully transferable. The warranty sticks to the product.

Regards.

Malsi
That is consistent with the language of the warranty provided to U.S. customers as well.
01-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 68 (100%)
Tom,
While at some point you are right with the confirmation with Pentax's response - Freerider's point is very valid. This is pretty damn shady. Look at Adam's point on the first page. Even he is incorrect with Pentax's response. Obviously, they have not been clear at all, and for them to default to the stance they take it is pretty sad.

Freerider - My suggestion to you, is that you sell it under the condition that YOU as the original purchaser would take care of any warranty issues (contingent upon a US sale).

And all this effects a lot of us that bought new cameras lately considering Pentax's response is different than the assumption (and certainly within the guidelines of the warranty language put forth in the manual and website). To offer any sort of warranty on a Pentax good that has our name on the purchase is invalid? Even the first year? Wow, guess I am glad I bought an Amazon transferable on the K30 instead of the "Pentax" one. My new K5II, not so much.

Overall, I am a huge Pentax fan, but the dispute is valid and I think this once again smells like their "website sale mess up".