Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by freerider Quote
I would say that Pentax/Ricoh's response is contrary to the language of its own warranty, misleading, and should be the subject of a consumer class action.
Good luck with that. At this point, I am done. I have substantiated what I said about the warranty is correct, per Ricoh/Pentax. If you don't like it, take it up with them and let us know when you get it changed. Until then, we'll go by their printed and dated response as being the final word in this matter.

01-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #32

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The warranty is transferrable as long as you're given the original receipt. You don't need to register for Pentax warranty service eligibility (unlike other brands).
does that mean that if I purchased a camera and extended warranty at the same time, sell it, and pass along my original bill of sale and the extended warrant card that the purchaser can obtain warranty service during the original term of the warranty (3y)?
01-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by tram57 Quote
does that mean that if I purchased a camera and extended warranty at the same time, sell it, and pass along my original bill of sale and the extended warrant card that the purchaser can obtain warranty service during the original term of the warranty (3y)?
In the US, I believe so. I haven't heard of any users having trouble with this.

On the other hand, official answers from Pentax and now Ricoh have been all over the place, so I wouldn't put all my money on it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #34

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Hi, I'm intrested and I will live in CA until march, it's still availble?

01-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #35

Feedback Score: 30 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Good luck with that. At this point, I am done. I have substantiated what I said about the warranty is correct, per Ricoh/Pentax. If you don't like it, take it up with them and let us know when you get it changed. Until then, we'll go by their printed and dated response as being the final word in this matter.
I understand Tom's point. People should know about Pentax/Ricoh's position with respect to its warranty. The problem is that the warranty simply does not say that you must be the original purchaser in order to receive service. The one year warranty does not include this language, and the extended warranty is ambiguous at best. I'm not sure if Pentax/Ricoh is being intentionally vague so that it can deny service requests, or whether it let the interns draft the warranty language. At best, it's bush league. At worst, it's fraudulent and deceptive. If you had the chance to speak with Randall, like I did, you would not have confidence in anything he says.

---------- Post added 01-28-14 at 08:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
Freerider - My suggestion to you, is that you sell it under the condition that YOU as the original purchaser would take care of any warranty issues (contingent upon a US sale).
That's a good suggestion, and yes I would be happy to do this.
01-29-2014, 06:25 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 57 (100%)
If the camera breaks just send it back to the original owner and have him send it in for you. What is the big deal? I think shipping would be much cheaper than the repair.
01-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #37
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
Last year I was about to buy a used K5 that was advertised with an existing warranty; due to the ambiguous nature of the Pentax policy I ultimately declined the deal. The amount of money I would have saved was not enough to offset the risk of having a problem requiring repair. I guess the manufacturer's logic is that by eliminating the warranty to purchasers of a used Pentax a customer will be more likely to buy a new one. (That strategy worked in my case as I bought a new K3).

The ambiguous nature of the warranty makes the purchase of a used Pentax all the more complicated (from a value standpoint). It benefits the manufacturer but hurts the consumer who bought new and now wants to sell or the consumer who is looking to buy used.

This is probably standard corporate operating procedure except where laws are enacted to preclude such policies (like with automobiles or in France). Corporations are always looking for ways to enhance profits and giving a transferable warranty to Pentax users does not seem to do that from the manufacturer's point of view.

01-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
PM sent
02-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #39

Feedback Score: 30 (100%)
Original Poster
Camera is sold.