Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
[SOLD] Vivitar 28mm F2.8 for K-A/Rmount - Minty

This is a minty Vivitar 28mm F2.8 for Pentax K-A/R mount. I believe this lens will work on all K mount Pentax cameras as well as some (if not all) of their later autofocus and digital models. The condition is superb. Sold with rear cap.

Price: $30 plus shipping

I take PayPal, money orders or checks. I can also ship internationally although I don't mark items as gifts or devalue them on shipping documents. Thanks!

Last edited by davealta; 04-14-2008 at 09:00 AM.
04-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
If that's mint then i'm Tiger Woods.

Note: I am not Tiger Woods.
04-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for those witty comments Alfisti. The lens is "minty" (not mint) -- it's in quite excellent condition. I'll offer the new owner a 7 day right of return if he/she is unhappy (return shipping is not refundable). I ship at published rates plus the cost of a box and tracking.
04-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
If that's mint
I think that the right way is to ask about the nature of some visible marks...

04-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
I think that the right way is to ask about the nature of some visible marks...
You're right of course but there is no such thing as "minty", it's either mint or in excellent used condition. No such thing as half pregnant .
04-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Not Registered

Feedback Score: (%)
Comments like that should be done on Private messages and I found Alfisti's comment offensive and senseless considering a 30USD value lens.
04-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
I'm not saying that it's a bad lens, however looking at my Vivitar 28mm f2.8 right now, and I can assure everyone that the one showing is not the same as mine.
So it's NOT a Series One. Which is considered as Vivitar's best.

Personally I'd still consider it as a bargain, if Dave can produce some quality images taken with it.
04-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Feedback Score: 35 (100%)
Let's cut the comments, please.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
It is ok to comment that the K/R mount is for Ricoh cameras and so the "I believe this lens will work on all K mount Pentax cameras" is perhaps not entirely accurate? Especially as this might result in damaged equipment. Or am I totally wrong?
04-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Perhaps someone can enlighten me, but my understanding is that my lens is a K-A mount lens. I assume the R designation is Vivitar's way of notating that this lens also works on Ricoh cameras, which of course were a common aftermarket K-mount SLR's in the heydey of the K1000. If this lens is not broadly compatible with K mount and K-A mount SLR's, I'd love to know that, but please PM me. I'm new here and I am a little surprised at the interest in this fairly garden variety lens -- but pleased as well.

Also, as far as the condition, by "minty" I do not mean "mint", but something close to it. Thanks, David
04-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
osv
Pentaxian

next time put up a pic of both ends of the lens, people need to see the ricoh pin.
04-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Not intending to be a smartarse, but it'll only get less minty if you keep putting it on granite.

You willing to shop over yon Pacific?
04-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davealta Quote
Perhaps someone can enlighten me, but my understanding is that my lens is a K-A mount lens. I assume the R designation is Vivitar's way of notating that this lens also works on Ricoh cameras, which of course were a common aftermarket K-mount SLR's in the heydey of the K1000. If this lens is not broadly compatible with K mount and K-A mount SLR's, I'd love to know that, but please PM me. I'm new here and I am a little surprised at the interest in this fairly garden variety lens -- but pleased as well.

Also, as far as the condition, by "minty" I do not mean "mint", but something close to it. Thanks, David
David,

Just so that you know the Vivitar Series one 28mm f2.8 is one incredible lens. I understand that some German lens company was even buying some, and re-badging them.

I can show you the image quality I got from mine if you'd like. I messed up while modifying it to work with my Sigma camera, so I can't use it on my Pentax anymore (it works fine on my Sigma )

If yours was the series one I'd buy it instantly. However it isn't. I'm still interested in seeing what sort of IQ it has, and might consider buying after I see a sample pic.

As long as the flange is the same as a Pentax I can probably make it work with a little mod. Which I wouldn't mind doing on any quality lens.
There are several others here whom do this mod from time to time.

Please post a photo of the bottom, and also please take the time to slip it onto any Pentax camera to see if it will fit.

However, and this is very important. Do Not attempt to twist it on. This is where you'll run into problems if it's the wrong mount
04-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 63 (98%)
QuoteOriginally posted by davealta Quote

You are correct regarding the meaning of the "R" designation. To the best of my knowledge, where this can cause problems is that the Ricoh mount's aperture information is passed to the camera through a small pin that, unfortunately, aligns perfectly with the Pentax mount's auto-focus screw location. When used in "A" mode, an "R" lens can get stuck on the Pentax mount and can be a bear to remove.

That being said, I've got a number of K-A/R mount lenses and none of them give me any trouble on my K10D. Put your lens in "A" mode and you'll see two spring loaded pins emerge from the mount. The one at approximately 8 o'clock if you are holding the lens as if you are the camera is the Ricoh "A" pin and is the potential troublemaker. Take a look at that pin closely. If it's cone shaped or rounded like the end of a ball point pen (I guess tapered would be a better description), I don't think you'll have any problems as it should get pushed back into the lens as soon as you attempt to remove the lens. I think on some lenses, that pin has a blunt end (like a paper clip) and won't get pushed back into the lens.

Others may correct me, but that's my understanding based on what I've read and the K/R lenses that I own.

Kevin
04-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for that expert advice Kevin -- should come in handy for the new owner