Free Shipping CONUS

What you get

DA 10-17mm Fisheye lens
S80-80 lens bag
Original front cap
Original rear cap
Original box

Why I'm selling it

I purchased this lens as a kit with other lenses and a camera. I'm selling this one because I already have a copy of this lens.

Condition

I have listed this lens as "Fair" per the condition key.

The good
:
Optically the lens is perfect, as far as I can tell from my own personal testing. The aperture is oil free and operates flawlessly. The front and rear elements are perfect and mark free. The lens is free from fungus and haze. The lens is dust free internally as far as I can see. Physically, it looks almost new. The mount, and contact points are perfect. The body of the lens not including the lens hood look perfect. The body shows no signs of wear, no marks, no scratches.

The bad:
There is a slight dent in the hood. (Visible on the bottom right side of the above picture)

The dent does NOT affect image quality.
The dent does NOT cause vignetting.
The dent does NOT affect the lens cap.
The dent does NOT affect filter usage.
The dent is only cosmetic.

There is a tilt in the lens. The portion of the lens that protrudes out of the body contains the tilt. When mounted on a camera, the tilt faces upwards. (Documented in attached pictures)

The tilt does NOT affect image quality.
The tilt does NOT cause vignetting.
The tilt does NOT affect the lens cap.
The tilt does NOT affect filter usage.
The tilt is only cosmetic.

There being a tilt in the lens, one would assume the image quality would be affected. One would assume the half of the image would not never be in perfect focus. This is not the case. Whomever owned the lens before me was aware of the tilt and counteracted it by tilting the front lens element (and possibly internal elements) in the proper direction, opposite the tilted barrel. I'm assuming this counteraction is the reason the tilt has no affect on IQ.

Lens Tests

To prove the lens is optically flawless, I have taken comparison shots with this lens and my other copy of this lens (in mint condition).
I took these comparison pictures with my K-3. The K-3 was tripod mounted. The neither the tripod nor camera were moved while shooting nor between shots. Both pictures were taken with the same settings, in the same conditions, just moments apart. The only post processing done on the images was the words I added, and to convert to jpeg.

Clicking the pics will link you to the full 24mp picture on flickr. Feel free to pixel peep every every inch and compare every corner and center. You will see there is no noticeable difference between the two lenses.

(Please note, the chromatic aberrations (green and purple fringing) noticeable at the corners at full resolution are most visible in abnormally high contrast scenes such as this test. They can be corrected in post processing in most real world cases.)

This next pic proves that the lens focuses at infinity. Once again you can view it full sized and view the mountains in the background at full resolution...

Lastly, this pic shows the dent in the lens hood shows no vignetting at it's widest focal length.

Operation

The zoom ring operates flawlessly. The focus ring feels like there is a slightly different amount of dampening through the middle of the range. The focus ring is a little tight at when manually focusing down from 0.48 inches to 0.46 inches. To put that into perspective, this tightness will only affect focusing when done manually at around half an inch from touching the front element of the lens.
I have tested the lens on my *ist DS (2nd oldest Pentax dslr circa 2005) and my K-3 at focus points ranging from infinity to 0.46 inches. The lens will successfully auto focus and manually focus at all ranges along it's focus distance scale.

About the lens

It's a fun fish-eye. About the funnest their is considering how close it can focus and given it's wide zoom range.

Here's the official Pentax Forum in-depth review: Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-eye - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Here are user reviews (9.13/10 average): SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF] Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
This lens is will work on full frame cameras (future proof ), the only problem is the hood. If you shave down the hood it will work for FF: DA 10-17mm f/3.5-f/4.5 Fish-Eye on Z-1p

Shipping and Paypal

I will pay paypal fees. Shipping to the continental United States is included in the price. Shipping to international location will cost extra. PM for quote. I can meet up for transaction and pickup if you're in Las Vegas.

About Me

I have bought and sold many items successfully on the forum marketplace and on ebay, and have the feedback to prove it.

Lastly

I have gone to exhaustive lengths to describe the lens to you as accurately as I can. I have provided you with tests to prove there are no optical defects nor problems. If there is anything else I can do to better describe the lens, or any more tests you'd like me to produce, I will gladly do so.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Free US, PM for international

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
Returns accepted within seven days of delivery if the lens is not as described or if it's DOA.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by geomez; 03-24-2014 at 03:03 AM.
03-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
There is a slight dent in the hood.
There is a tilt in the lens.
Any guess as to why there is a dent and tilt? Perhaps the lens was dropped? Or manufacturing defect?
03-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 46 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Any guess as to why there is a dent and tilt? Perhaps the lens was dropped? Or manufacturing defect?
The tilt and dent were there when I received it from the previous owner. My assumption is that it was dropped. I've never heard of lenses leaving the factory with those kinds of issues.
03-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
The tilt and dent were there when I received it from the previous owner. My assumption is that it was dropped.
Just by chance, would this be the thread where purchased from, which mentions a drop?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/223300-sale-sold-k5-body-in...dc17-70-a.html

03-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Just by chance, would this be the thread where purchased from, which mentions a drop?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/223300-sale-sold-k5-body-in...dc17-70-a.html
Yes that is the thread I purchased it from. I had forgotten the seller had said it was dropped. It's been a while
03-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
bumpp
03-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Back up.

03-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #8

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Have u ever sold or shipped lenses to Canada ?
Nort
03-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've sold and shipped photography equipment including cameras and lenses to the US, multiple locations in Europe, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, and New Zealand, but not Canada. You can be the first though.