DA 40 2.8 ltd + bonus item

Asking Price
Lowered to 250.00 USD

Item Location
Seattle, WA (United States)

Item Description
DA 40 2.8 ltd pancake lens.

I purchased it here, through this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/231644-sale-sold-da-40mm-f2...cake-lens.html

If you want a really thorough examination of condition PM me your questions and I'll take a critical look and macro photos of anything you want to see. For all intents and purposes, it probably wouldn't pass as new in store, but there is no obvious wear or damage to it.

It includes the original box, papers, pouch, original front cap with hood and it's original rear cap. I'm throwing in, because I'm a good guy and it makes the lens much better a metal hood that I found to be very useful on the lens outdoors. (more on that below)

Size, it's fantastic. It's the only lens I never had to think twice about taking, either on the camera or in my pocket. On trips where I was traveling light, but thought I should bring my walkaround zoom, I always thought "I might as well pack the 40 too". It's Very convenient. Walking around town with it on the camera is a joy. I though it would be weird, but it's not.

AF is by reputation the fastest of any Pentax lens. I haven't tested that, but it's easy to believe. It seems instant. It's screwdrive, but maybe because it's so small and metal, it's very quiet.

On my camera I didn't need any focus adjustment. It seemed dead on +/- 0

I found that my indoor photos were much better than my outdoor photos, until I tried it with the bonus hood I'm including, then they were equal. This tells me that though the hood that comes with it is really cool and clever, it really isn't sufficient in all conditions.

People who complain about the mounted size might like it with the larger hood, it makes it feel like a nice small M28 or something. This also solves the screw on lenscap issue, if it is an issue for you. I used a pinch cap on the end of the aftermaket hood when I used it. That said, the screw cap didn't really bother me and I carried it both ways, depending on what I was photographing and how compact I wanted it to be.

Great lens, limited quality and construction is out of this world. I'm glad I owned it.

It's been kicked out of my bag by faster primes at 35 and 50. If it wasn't for $ and my never ending interest in lenses that I do not yet own, I think I'd keep it.

Image quality was fantastic. Bokah was great for me. It was my unparralled best lens for long exposure night photography. I'm going to miss those starbursts. If you search photos I've submitted, you'll see some that I took with this lens. If you'd like to see others, I'm happy to find some in my Lightroom.

I'd like to get what I paid for it and I think it's worth it. PayPal fees are mine and I'll cover shipping in the US. I can get good rates via FedEx and UPS through work and usually quicker delivery service. If you want expiated shipping or would like me to ship out of the US, I'll want you to cover all or part the shipping costs.

I'm open to full or partial trades as well.

I'm interested in something fast in the 70-85mm range. DA70, FA77 or something in that range with good AF.
I might also consider something wide, though I'm not interested in the DA21 and I've got a K24/2.8.
I might consider a fast (f2.8 or strong wide open f4) zoom as well at either the wide end or the 70-100 range.

If you have something to trade, let me know and we'll talk about it. Questions? Shoot!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling or Trading

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
included

Shipping Services
UPS or FedEx

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
I guarantee the lens to be as advertised and will accept it back if it is not. I don't anticipate any disputes, but I'll certainly try to work them out with you if they should arise. If you want more assurances than that, let's talk about them up front.

Please don't "buy to try" with the idea that you can always return it, though. We're both too busy. It's a liquid investment on Pentax Forums.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

---------- Post added 03-31-14 at 04:38 PM ----------

It doesn't look like I can edit my post, but let me clarify a few things. There are some photographs of the lens in the original sale, which I linked to, that show a small mark that the previous owner said he didn't notice until he took that photo to sell it. I forgot it was there too. Holding the lens in my hand right now, looking for that mark, I have to look at an angle and move it back and forth through sunlight to see it and it's not nearly as obvious as in that photo.

So, last owner and I never knew it was there while we owned it and unless you are really, really, really focused on things like this, you won't either. It is slightly visible in my 3rd photograph too.

If you have any questions on condition, please ask. I'm happy to macro photograph it helps.

---------- Post added 04-01-14 at 08:17 PM ----------

Here is a night shot I took with this lens. I wasn't happy with how the moon turned out, but that's photographer error. I was really happy with the rest of it. Check out the starburts of the lamps on the bridge.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by troika; 04-03-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Changed Trade Criteria
04-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 38 (100%)
PMd a trade offer
04-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
Original Poster
Gnaztee made me a great trade offer that was on my list, but it forced me to shorten and refine my list, which is reflected now. There's no harm in floating a trade idea past me, though.

I lowered the price a little bit too. I'm not going to go too low on this, it's too good of a lens for too many things (walkaround, casual photos of friends, landscape, night photography...)

I would like to sell or trade it though, so keep your offers coming.

---------- Post added 04-03-14 at 07:45 AM ----------

I'm not sure what's going on with the value of these amazing limited lenses, but I originally priced it at what I bought it for here on the forums, which I thought was a great deal. Checking now, 2nd Market prices have continued to drop on these, maybe because the HD version is out. Don't know.

I'm going to lower my price to $250, though it hurts. I'll call the $30 that I'll lose on flipped this lens a "rental fee".

I'm still open to the right trade offer + or -.
04-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 9 (91%)
pm sent

04-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #5

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
I like the moon in your first shot!
04-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
Original Poster
Offers...discussion...maybe close to a deal...but still available for now.

...and it's outta here!

Last edited by troika; 04-04-2014 at 01:25 PM.