PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Tokina AT-X 50-250 f4-5.6 Macro 1:1.4

Asking Price
50.00 USD

Item Location
Seattle, WA (United States)

Item Description
AT-X was Tokina's top line. I have the only review of this lens in our forums, though I found some others on-line that you'll see if you look. It's a great lens, so good in fact that it got me a little obsessed with Tokina and I picked up another one. This is the better of them. The one I'm keeping gets me out to 300mm and I'm trading some sharpness and macro functionality for the extra 50mm reach.

This lens doubled my reach from my 18-135 zoom and I picked it mostly for a vacation last year. It's a phenomenal lens for someone like me who isn't ready to invest heavily in long telephoto lenses, which seem to be very expensive or very soft. This one is neither! Seems to have much better optical quality than modern consumer zooms of this range. I haven't used the DA 55-300, but has a good reputation. I handled one once and the build quality is NOTHING compared to this lens. Optically, I can't say. I may end up with the WR version some day, but I'm not ready to spend the money. If you feel the same...here you go!

The other surprise for me was Macro to 1:1.4. That's ALMOST 1:1 compared to a lot of 1:2 and 1:4 "Macro" lenses from this era. Fun to be had, again for someone who doesn't need or want to invest in a dedicated macro lens. Macro is only at 50mm, though.

Glass is super clean, aperture works great. I don't know how to know with a manual lens where in the zoom range the max moves from f4 to f5.6, if you do, let me know and I'll check. It has partial aperture stops between f5.6 and f16 and min aperture of f22.

It operates very smoothly. It looks like it's been in a stock room since the 80s. Smooth focus and zooming. Zoom creep? Probably, I haven't noticed, but I assume that all one touch zooms do. Great build quality and condition, though.

Front and rear caps that came with it and I'll throw in a 55mm metal hood that is probably not as deep as it could or should be, but it's what I found and used with it. You might get better images with a deep rubber one, but I'll leave that to you to decide.

The photos "with" are from my archives, I can take specific shots of or with the lens if you want to see something else, marco for example. I'm pretty comfortable stating that the bear was photographed at 250mm. The ISO was 6400 and I suspect my aperture was all the way or mostly open, because it was dusk and I would have wanted the ISO lower if I could have managed. Probably not a best case scenario for sharp imagery, but it shows what it can do.

I know this isn't a very well known lens, but the AT-X reputation is very strong and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Catch in focus and green button metering works great with it.

I'll ship the same weekday I receive payment PayPal fees and shipping are mine. I can ship from work with pretty good 2 day rates. If you want it faster, I'd like for you to share the cost. If you live outside of the US, we need to discuss, agree on some things and negotiate shipping costs.

Not really looking for trades, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I could be tempted with something wide or a fast prime in the 70-135 range. I probably also need a focusing screen upgrade at some point and some day will want a flash other than the one on my camera.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
Included - US

Shipping Services
UPS or FedEx

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
I'd like to sell it "as-is", but want to keep my perfect Pentax Forums reputation and rating in tact, so if there's a problem, we'll work it out, even if that means I have to take it back. But, there won't be. It's a great lens in terrific condition. Ask questions about things you care about and feel I haven't fully addressed

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by troika; 05-04-2014 at 10:43 AM.
05-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
Original Poster
Sold Pending Thursday Pickup and transaction
For a state with no Pentax dealers, there sure seem to be a lot of us here in Seattle!

Last edited by troika; 05-07-2014 at 06:41 AM.
05-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
Original Poster
Sold, locally via Pentax Forums to a super cool young lady!

Post those pictures!