PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm 1.7

Asking Price
35.00 USD

Item Location
Lancaster, PA (United States)

Item Description
I know there aren't likely many people looking for Minolta gear on PF, but I thought I'd try here before resorting to an auction...

Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm 1.7 - $35: This is the fast-fifty I used regularly on my Samsung NX camera with an adapter. Similar to Pentax's old "M" lenses, the Rokkor-X series were available in f/1.4 and f/1.7 varieties, and both were quite good, making the decision between faster/more expensive and slower/cheaper quite difficult!

The lens is in overall good condition, considering this design is about 40 years old. The glass is clean and clear - no blemishes or scratches, and no internal haze or fungus. There are several microscopic flecks of dust inside, nothing that affects image quality whatsoever. The aperture ring moves well with good clicks. I'll mention the aperture settings include half-stops between f/2.8 and f/16 (no half-stop between 1.7 and 2.8). I would compare the focus action similarly to the old Pentax-Ms - smooth and well damped, an 8 out of 10 compared to the "M"s, in my opinion. The lens barrel does show some signs of handling, mostly in the form of some paint lost here and there. A few flecks are missing from the depth-of-field scale and the serial number. Note, however, most painted details are also engraved, so the information is still there. A couple superficial scratches here and there on the barrel, purely cosmetic and obviously nothing that impacts function or image quality.

The lens will come with its original rear cap and a brand-new, generic front pinch-cap purchased specifically to go with the lens for this sale.

Some quick-and-dirty samples with 100% crops. Only adjustments were for exposure and contrast. It was a breezy day, so the first shot was a little difficult to focus on when taking in to consideration the narrow depth of field. Doing a Flickr search for the lens can give further indications of image quality.

Shot at f/2.8 - since this wasn't shot wide open the highlights have a hexagonal shape.

Shot wide open at f/1.7 - The background was extremely far away, hence the extreme blur.

A note about adapters:
As mentioned above, I used this lens with an inexpensive MC/MD adapter on my Samsung NX. A myriad of sellers on eBay carry these adapters for many brands. If you are using a Canon, Nikon, Samsung, or any of the NEX or 4/3rds bodies the lens can be adapted and retain infinity focus. For Pentax and Sony Alpha bodies, there are adapters available, however they include a glass element to achieve proper infinity focus, and much like teleconverters they can lower image quality. Be aware, though, if you look carefully enough you can find Pentax and Sony-mount adapters without the glass elements - you can no longer achieve infinity focus, but the adapter essentially becomes an extension tube, making the lens into a macro. I believe the maximum focusing distance becomes around five feet.

I'm asking a flat $6.50 for USPS shipping and PayPal fees. I'll gladly ship through FedEx or UPS upon request, but the shipping cost would change appropriately.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Continental U.S. Only

Shipping Charge
$6.50

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Items must be returned in same condition as originally sent (i.e. as they appear in the original sale photos). Buyer must return items within 7 days of original receipt. Buyer pays return shipping, and shipping must include the appropriate insurance coverage for the value of the item. Please contact me before returning items.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

05-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 31 (100%)
Original Poster
Bumping this back up to the top for a few days before it goes on eBay.