Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Walkaround zoom lens

Hello everybody, I'll be taking a family vacation next month (Florida beaches and Disney) and I'm thinking it would behoove me to consider a zoom lens instead of lugging around all my primes... I'm still quite the neophyte, but I've been shooting manual primes exclusively for the past year + and I greatly prefer them over the kit lenses that came with my K30. I also like the idea of using the AF on a more modern lens instead of the MF I'm stuck with now...

From the research I've done it looks like the lenses that would suite me best are the DA 18-135mm, Sigma 18-250mm and 17-70mm (although it's a bit over my price range...), and some of the Tamron zooms. My budget is between $200 and $350, and I'm open to other lenses besides the ones I mentioned.

Please send me a PM with anything you might have. Thanks!!

06-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by jeantarrou Quote
Hello everybody, I'll be taking a family vacation next month (Florida beaches and Disney) and I'm thinking it would behoove me to consider a zoom lens instead of lugging around all my primes... I'm still quite the neophyte, but I've been shooting manual primes exclusively for the past year + and I greatly prefer them over the kit lenses that came with my K30. I also like the idea of using the AF on a more modern lens instead of the MF I'm stuck with now...

From the research I've done it looks like the lenses that would suite me best are the DA 18-135mm, Sigma 18-250mm and 17-70mm (although it's a bit over my price range...), and some of the Tamron zooms. My budget is between $200 and $350, and I'm open to other lenses besides the ones I mentioned.

You may be interested in the Sigma 18-125 I just posted on the marketplace.
06-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
The first question is: how much reach you really need? As a general rule, the wider the focal range the greater the compromises in image quality.

As someone with a bag of primes and two kit lenses you should be well placed to answer your own question!

If you don't need more than 135, the 18-135 would be a good choice, especially as it is WR.

For a one-lens travel kit, I like my Tamron 18-250 for its versatility; I use the full focal length range. I can live with the lack of speed because I am almost always shooting outdoors, and I will trade the compromise in IQ for the benefit of not having to change lenses (especially at beaches and in dusty conditions). Shooting RAW and using DxO Optics Pro brings out the best in it. But that's just me. Everyone has different needs and preferences.

If you can't live without the IQ of a prime, consider carrying your favourite one as well! I find the DA 35 f2.4 a good alrounder, and it weighs next to nothing. Other people would choose a 15 or 21.

There is endless debate on this forum about how these walkaround zooms compare in quality. I can't add to that debate, but there seems to be a lot of sample variation, so getting a good copy might be as important as choosing the best model.
06-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by jeantarrou Quote

I think you're definitely going to want weather resistant if you are going on the beach and down waterslides, etc so that will limit your options

06-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 121 (100%)
Have you considered the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8?
I have one (like new) with hood + caps + box
Please PM if interested....
06-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 177 (100%)
I have listed for sale a great traveling zoom on a budget. It may not be as wide but I find it great in traveling especially when paired with the 15mm limited or a good 20mm prime.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/265419-sal...mm-f2-5-a.html

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 06-10-2014 at 05:54 PM.
06-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #7

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the pm's and offers, I ended up with a DA 17-70 and I'm very excited to try it out!

Matt