Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 63 (100%)
SMC Pentax 1000mm f/11 Reflex (mirror lens)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Pentax 1000mm f/11 Reflex (mirror lens)

Asking Price
600.00 USD

Item Location
Savannah, GA (United States)

Item Description
SMC Pentax 1000mm f/11 Reflex -- $600 shipped (USA only)

Monster mirror lens in excellent condition. Some reviews here:

SMC Pentax Reflex 1000mm F11 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Has built-in slide-out hood and tripod mount. Also has built-in ND and colored filters -- the filters are not removable and you are always shooting through the filters. The ND filters are 1x (no effect), 2x, 2.8x, and 4x. The colored filters are clear glass (no effect), skylight, yellow (Y48), and red (R60). Comes with original front lens cap and standard Pentax plastic rear cap.

The rear mount of the lens is quite unusual and you need to take a few minutes to understand it before using the lens. The tripod foot/mount on this lens does not rotate -- it is not on a collar but fixed. However the mount itself rotates 360 degrees instead and includes a locking knob. But it also has an additional locking collar that holds the whole mount in place -- if you remove the mount you can screw-in any 52mm filter of your own choosing and then replace the mount. (It doesn't take front filters.) This locking collar is weird and a bit tricky -- if you don't understand it you WILL end up with something on the ground. (I have a pdf scan of the manual you can have, but it still isn't the clearest thing in the world.)

Performance-wise, although no mirror lens will ever equal the quality of a traditional high-end prime of the same focal length, this is the sharpest and most contrasty mirror I've personally tried. This is the only 1000mm I've every used, but still IQ-wise I'd put it superior to the Tamron Adaptall 55BB 500mm, my previous best experience with mirror lenses. (I have not used the Russian models.) By far the biggest obstacles using it are of course motion blur (at fixed f/11, plan on using somewhat high ISOs) and precise focusing.

Like most mirror lenses, it has a fixed aperture. Also like other mirrors, aberrations are minimal although I do see a tiny bit of fringing here and there if you are pixel-peeping. (I suspect this from the filters rather than the lens.) I think best results are gotten from the skylight filter, or even the yellow filter with custom white balance set. (Or if you happen to be shooting b&w film, you'd probably use the yellow filter as standard practice.) Naturally you'll get some donut bokeh under some circumstances, although at 1000mm it really depends on the distance to the background and what the background is. Many shots will have gorgeous creamy bokeh, it just depends.

The barrel is very wide -- the diameter of the lens is about 4.5 inches, so focusing feels a bit like trying to palm a basketball. The action is smooth, but those will small hands may have a hard time. (I have kinda small hands for an average white guy male, and I'm ok, but anything smaller could be difficult.)

Condition is excellent, almost like new. (Excuse any dust or reflections in pics -- there are no issues with mirror or glass at all.) Focus is maybe just a tad dry -- it is very smooth and uniform but a some audible dry friction.

I'm assuming that this beast might be of primary interest to astro and lunar photographers (of which I am not), but it is also great for wildlife, etc if you have good technique and are patient. Of course you'll need a solid tripod, etc etc.

$600, that includes shipping to USA destinations. (Signature required.) I really don't want to ship this internationally, but if you've got a forum track record with good feedback I'd consider it for additional shipping expense.

Payment is to be via PayPal, shipped to your verified address. A signature will be required. If you happen to be near Savannah, GA, an in-person transaction is possible.

Thanks for looking, please send me a PM if you are interested.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
free to USA

Shipping Services
FedEx ground

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
I will accept returns if not as stated, please notify me within 3 days of delivery of any problems.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by vonBaloney; 07-30-2014 at 08:55 AM.
07-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
bump.
07-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #3

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
What a hunk of glass!!!
07-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It is a fun lens. That lizard is about 6 inches long (including the tail) and about 30 feet away, which is slightly out from the minimum focus distance which I think it 27 ft according to the barrel, actually pretty generous close focusing for a 1000mm lens. They made a 2000mm Reflex also -- would love to give that one a try...

07-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #5

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
It looks like it should be in a museum, vonBaloney! Gorgeous, and I assume, rare. Good luck with finding a buyer.
07-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
bump, price drop to $650
07-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
some more samples by request
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
07-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Lowered to $600, that includes shipping to USA.

07-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
I would buy it, but I'm too worried that the beast would suck up the world if I pointed it wrong.
07-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
SMC Pentax 1000mm f/11 Reflex

PM has been sent.
07-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 129 (99%)
O wonder what that would do on the new Q2.
07-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
O wonder what that would do on the new Q2.
I have used it with the original Q, and the results are better than expected, it probably would be fun to use on a newer Q with the bigger sensor. Everything you shoot is stuff you can't see with the naked eye from your vantage point -- it is pretty much a telescope. You could shoot bugs from 40 feet away. I pointed it at tall hotel building a mile away and could see people in their rooms!

---------- Post added 07-30-14 at 07:49 PM ----------

sold!