PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO DG macro

Asking Price
1,200.00 USD

Item Location
Savannah, GA (United States)

Item Description
Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO DG macro -- $1200 + $30 shipping (USA)

Other than the even more impossible to find Pentax-FA 200mm macro, I think this is the longest focal length 1:1 macro ever made with a Pentax mount.

Reviews:
Sigma 180mm F3.5 APO EX DG IF Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Please ignore the one reviewer who obviously had a broken copy that is skewing the ratings downward -- this lens is everything you'd expect from Sigma's EX line-up, and it is sharp as hell.

I recently discovered that there were older non-DG versions of this lens also. I'm not sure if "DG" actually means anything or the coatings are actually improved over older versions.

Features:
-- 1:1 life-size macro! (also note that it is a full-frame lens, so if Pentax ever comes out with FF, you're good there)

-- I think other mounts of this lens had an HSM motor, but the Pentax version is good old standard reliable (and noisier) screw-drive autofocus.

-- A push-pull autofocus/manual switch. To switch to manual focus, you also have to disengage the AF on your Pentax body which is a little annoying if you are switching back and forth.

-- Internal focusing! Barrel does not rotate or telescope, size is constant. When AF is set with the push-pull switch, the focus ring does not move. Please note that if the push-pull is set to manual focus but the body is still has AF engaged, then AF with actually work but the focus ring will move, which if you are gripping it tightly could lead to damage I suppose. So please take care with the autofocus and set both lens and body in sync at all times.

-- Focus limiter for quicker autofocus which when engaged will either keep you in the macro range or out of it as desired.

-- Rotating tripod collar, which can be removed entirely for handheld work.

-- Large bayonet hood which reverses for storage.

-- Original case.

I don't think I need to say much about this lens. This copy is in excellent condition, no issues at all, and cosmetically pretty much like new. (Please excuse any external dust in photos.) I do see a few specks of internal dust, but quite minimal, no effect. Everything works great.

Price is $1200 +$30 for shipping/insurance within USA. USA destinations preferred, but will consider international if you have solid forum marketplace record. Shipping will cost more, maybe a lot more. (And any taxes/duties you may owe additional.)

Payment to be via PayPal, and shipped to your verified address. Delivery will require a signature.

Feel free to ask questions. PM me if interested.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
I will accept returns if not as stated. Please notify within 3 days of delivery.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

Last edited by vonBaloney; 08-01-2014 at 09:28 AM.
08-01-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 66 (100%)
I have this lens in Sigma SA mount (for the SD1) and it is a sharp, sharp beast! Great working distance for macros of insects, since they won't be spooked away. For 1:1 macro at this focal length, your next step up is the "mythical flying unicorn" Pentax 200/4 macro.
08-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
A good lens, the person who gave the lens a bad score needs his lens adjusted - or learn how to use it properly.

Pentax K5IIs - Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
For 1:1 macro at this focal length, your next step up is the "mythical flying unicorn" Pentax 200/4 macro.
The Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX has a distinct advantage over the FA*200mm f/4 ED MACRO - a removable tripod collar.
08-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
Is that bag black? Mine is green...it's a good bag and there is room in the top to store the adapter to my ring-flash (Pentax macro flash works fine with this lens, but you need to add a step-up ring to the adapter ring.

The lens is a great macro lens with really smooth bokeeh in the macro range. The lins remain sharp at all distances and doesn't appear specifically optimized for the macro range only. Hence it works for landscape as well, and the autofocus is fast enough to make it a good "sport" lens as well. I'm on the phone now so it is ackward to post pictures, but anyone interested can find examples easilly on my flickr since there is a folder for each lens there.

08-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 70 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Is that bag black? Mine is green...it's a good bag and there is room in the top to store the adapter to my ring-flash (Pentax macro flash works fine with this lens, but you need to add a step-up ring to the adapter ring.

The lens is a great macro lens with really smooth bokeeh in the macro range. The lins remain sharp at all distances and doesn't appear specifically optimized for the macro range only. Hence it works for landscape as well, and the autofocus is fast enough to make it a good "sport" lens as well. I'm on the phone now so it is ackward to post pictures, but anyone interested can find examples easilly on my flickr since there is a folder for each lens there.
Nope, case is standard black, just like my other Sigma cases of near-recent vintage. No extra room really, but a small adapter might fit. It has the molded foam circle in the lid for the mount to fit into, and the cushion on the bottom can be removed, but I don't know why you'd want to...
08-01-2014, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
The best lens in my bag...and I have several macro lens...

From last weekend:

08-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I sell this with no enthusiasm, just have too much into lenses and a backlog of things to sell since I recently moved. Anyone that wants it, grab it before I make enough money via some other method to keep it for myself...

08-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
I also have one and it is a great lens. Heavy, but sharp and made to be used on a tripod. Almost all of my work is done with this lens. You don't have to be right on top of your subject to get a really close image. And, with the APS chip the 35mm lens equivalent is 270 mm.

Jake
08-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
bump!

Note: I found out that the green case came with the earlier, non-DG version. Lens cosmetics & focus ring pattern somewhat different also...

Last edited by vonBaloney; 08-06-2014 at 06:04 PM.
08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
sold.