PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax SMC DA 16-45mm f/4.0 ED AL Lens

Asking Price
215.00 USD => 195.00

Item Location
California (United States)

Item Description
Pentax SMC DA 16-45mm f/4.0 ED AL Lens (Used)

AF adjustment was not necessary with all my Pentax DSLRs.
Feel free to PM me of any questions, thanks!!

Backlash
This copy had certain amount of backlash with zoom barrel so I sent it to Pentax lab in Japan in 2012. The lab reported that it still has a bit amount of backlash even after repair was performed which they said they can't eliminate completely due to it's fundamental engineering while the copy has passed their optical quality inspection. Having explained that, the copy still has a small amount of backlash but I have never had a problem with picture output since then.

Item Condition Key (Quoted from Marketplace Rule)
Good: Item has seen substantial use, but shows no significant scratches or dents.
Marks and signs of use may be visible as a result from wear-and-tear.

Optics are in mint condition.
Please carefully check the attached pictures to see the item's cosmetic condition.

Bundled Items
Front / Rear Caps, Hood

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide (Except for embargoed countries)

Shipping Charge
U.S. $10.00 (AK/HI +$10)
Other: Please contact me

Shipping Services
USPS / FedEx Ground

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Please contact me immediately if anything is not as described. Return accepted within 7 days of receipt. Buyer pays shipping cost.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Please check my other listings here.

Attached Images

Last edited by leonsroar; 10-20-2014 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Price Reduced.
10-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #2

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
Original Poster
Bump.
10-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
What does backlash mean more exactly? I am not familiar with this term.
10-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
Also confused by what backlash means with a lens.

10-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
I did manage to find the following at Fred Miranda, this may be what the seller is talking about. There is very little else I could find on the subject.

I have recently been troubleshooting a focusing problem with a used lens I recenly purchased (see Tonika 300mm thread) and discovered my inconsistent auto focusing problems were
due to lens backlash. One photo would focus in front of the target, the next behind.
I normally shoot, with my 7D, in Focus Live Mode, where the lens continually adjusts, looking for the best focus. I found that by changing to Focus Quick Mode, where the lens goes quickly to focus, seldomly changing direction, the effects of the lens backlash was minimized and acceptable focus is regularly obtained. I seem to get the best focus starting from infinity back rather than from near forward. This has been in my backyard, with a test setup, so I still have to check out the real world application.
Bottom line, if you use Focus Live Mode and you regularly miss focus (when you have done your part right) sometime in front and sometime behind, and suspect backlash as the culprit, you might try switching to Focus Quick Mode to see if this minimizes the problem.