Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 104 (98%)
Pentax 28mm Nirvana: SMC K 28mm f3.5 (see why inside) Pixie Dust included.

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax 28mm Nirvana: SMC K 28mm f3.5 (see why inside) Pixie Dust included.

Asking Price
169.00 USD

Item Location
Kearney, NE (United States)

Item Description
I remember when I used to think that the "faster" the lens the better the lens must be. This lens (along with the Tele-Takumar 200mm f5.6) showed me the error of that sort of thinking. In order to achieve wider apertures, sacrifices must often be made and costs skyrocket (larger diameter glass, prone to more flare, and weight for just a few of those things). Therefore, the 28mm f2.0 must be much better than the 28mm f3.5, right? Was I ever wrong. Please read on to learn why this lens is considered the K-mount 28mm Nirvana lens.

This is the awesome image that a fellow member of the PDML (Pentax Discuss Mailing List) showed that made me take a closer look at this lens.

The SMC K 28mm f3.5 - 8 elements in 7 groups was the pinnacle of Pentax K mount 28mm lenses. The only comparable lens would be the more expensive and harder to find SMC K 30mm f2.8 (Do NOT make the mistake of confusing this with the radically inferior Pentax-M version with has only 6 optical elements in 6 groups.) If you have the M version consider trading up... you won't regret it.

Photographically speaking, that image (linked above) is just a snapshot. But WHAT a combination of superb contrast, superb colors and superb sharpness (micro-contrast). That image has pixie dust sprinkled all over it. That got me researching more imagery made with this lens: Here is what convinced me to never be without one of these (I sell only duplicates):

Examples on Flickriver.com taken with the SMC K 28mm f3.5 (Tell me if you don't see more pixie dust in those examples).

Compare those images with the much more expensive Pentax-A 28mm f2.0. Do you see superior Image Quality? I sure don't. It is lower contrast, lower colors, and more prone to flare. People who rate the 28mm f2.0 higher simply because it is rarer and cost them more dough are out of their bloomin' minds.

Enough ranting. Look at the images accepted on the Pentax Photo Gallery taken with the SMC K 28mm f3.5 and get yourself one. This one is priced reasonably to sell, in near mint condition, for $169 plus actual shipping cost. Will ship worldwide to PF members with good Marketplace feedback. (By the way, KEH has NONE of these). It in is cosmetically and mechanically flawless. I see one possible pin prick spot on the front coating, as I photograph this. Will try to see if that is on the surface and will come off, but in any event it is nothing that would have a discernable effect on image quality.

Get your little chunk of 28mm Nirvana: The 8 element Asahi Optical Co. SMC K 28mm f3.5.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
actual

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
7 day return policy. You must be 100% happy that my lens matches, or is better, than my description or your purchase price (but not shipping) will be refunded upon safe return of the lens in the same condition. Buyer pays any return shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by cheekygeek; 11-22-2014 at 10:26 AM.
11-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
I have it and it's a great lens!
Good luck with the sale
11-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 17 (100%)
PM sent