Item for Sale
Pentax DA* 16-50mm 2.8 SDM

Asking Price
515.00 USD

Item Location
Montreal (Canada)

Item Description
Pentax DA* 16-50mm 2.8 SDM
I'm selling my DA* 16-50mm 2.8 in favour of primes and other options.

Edit(2) : I edited my description of the lens to what I believe to be a more accurate description. If you have any question, please contact me.

I know some people are afraid of the 16-50mm because of the several reports of SDM motor failure. Although I am not the original owner of the lens I have used it long enough to tell you that the SDM motor does not show any sign of eminent failure : there is no noticeable high pitch sound when focussing and there is no warm up time, or period of slowness or any of those symptoms. If you need me to send you a video, or to answer further question, don't hesitate. If I may add a comparaison that might be useful for some of you, it focusses faster than my perfectly working 50-135mm.

I find my copy of the lens sharp at 2.8 and very sharp from 3.2 and up. I actually find it sharper at 2.8 than my Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 (also for sale in another thread). I don't pixel peep like crazy, but I calibrate my lens with focus test charts to optimize them for my camera bodies and thus I'm confident that if you do so, you will find this lens sharp from wide open and up.

The lens was used as an indoor event lens (concerts and such). The body and lens hood shows small sign of use like small scratches and such that are apparent under certain light condition. There is no dent, or sign of abuse at all, but you can tell it's a used lens. The lens cap (original) has some paint missing and is well worn. You should be able to tell the condition of the lens from the pictures.

**edit(1) : I rate my lenses harshly so that buyer are never disappointed upon closer inspection. Have a look at the flickr account from which you will be able to magnify the picture to a size where you should be able to tell the overall condition of the lens.**

The mount seal is in great condition, the hood attaches firmly, the MF/AF switch works and the focus ring is very smooth. The zoom ring is a little stiffer between 28 and 50 while being a little "looser" at the wide end. I always thought it was somewhat normal because the lens extends while zooming and because it's WR, I assume the tubes are rather tightly fitted together. Just to be clear, the zoom ring performs well and has no problem getting from one hand to the other. It's just not perfectly uniformly stiff, and this may actually be the fact for every 16-50mm out there, I haven't tried another one.

No scratch on the front or rear element and I can't see any dust inside, but I can't guarantee that you won't find any with a very close inspection and a flash light... at this point, there is absolutely no chance that it will affect the pictures, of course.

The lens comes with the original front cap and Pentax rear cap, the original Pentax soft case and original Pentax hood.
asking 530USD --> 515USD

I will not provide a warranty on the SDM motor but I will stand by my description. If you receive the lens and the SDM motor does not perform the way I described it (I say that it performs exactly like it should on a new lens without a motor problem), you could return the lens to me after your initial inspection (within 10 days) and I will split shipping with you.

In the unlikely event that you would prefer get the lens with the SDM motor deactivated and have the screw motor take over, I can do it for you at no extra charge. (If you are not sure what I am talking about, see this thread
)

Pictures

[SIZE="3"]Pentax DA* 16-50mm f2.8/SIZE]
Flick album for more picture (and bigger res)

Thank you and pm me if interested.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
10$ to Canada, 15$ to the US

Shipping Services
Canada Post / USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
Item may be returned within 10 days - buyer pays all shipping unless the item is defective and/or not as described.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by kp0c; 12-06-2014 at 05:06 AM.
11-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 62 (100%)
Original Poster
bump - edited the description to what I believe to be more accurate.
11-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Saturday bump!
12-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Still available.

12-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Forum Member