PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 DC EX

Asking Price
185.00 USD

Item Location
Rising Sun, MD (United States)

Item Description
This is a well-used lens, and it has some problems, but it's definitely still very usable. Last year, I noticed some decentering in photos taken at 10mm. I contacted Sigma, who had me send it to CRIS. CRIS insisted that there was no decentering, even after I showed them photos taken at f/11. The technician that I spoke with said that all wide-angle lenses on APS-C are technically decentered, and he said that the rear element would hit the mirror otherwise. I've never heard anyone say this before, and I know that the left edge of images used to be much sharper with this lens. They adjusted the autofocus on the lens, charged me $112, and shipped it back to me. No difference. So I purchased another 10-20 and I'm selling this one. The new 10-20 has a similar problem, but it's not quite as pronounced. I've found that the problem can be minimized by focusing beyond the intended subject and using a small aperture - f/13 works best for me.

The decentering is only apparent at focal lengths smaller than 13mm. Other issues: there is a small cleaning mark on the rear element, and I feel like I saw something on the front element too, but I couldn't find it. As usual, these things probably don't have a visible effect on images. The lens body is in okay shape. Some whitening of the finish here and there (visible in photos). comes with lens, caps, hood. The hood still locks into place pretty tightly.

Here are photos of the lens:

Slightly different light here.

Some folks like boxes!

And here are recent photos taken with the lens. You can click through and check out the high-res versions.

This one's f/9 and the decentering is pretty apparent.

This one's at f/11 and the decentering isn't obvious. Used my head as a monopod for this one.

Right-click and "view image" for slightly higher resolution. You can definitely see the decentering here.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Poor

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Free priority mail to US. Others pay actual shipping.

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Return within two weeks if not as advertised.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

11-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 84 (100%)
Pm sent
11-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 54 (100%)
Item sold. Payment Sent