Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #1

Feedback Score: 104 (100%)
[SOLD] Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 Macro and Matching Yuzo Ring Flash

For Sale: Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 dedicated macro lens with "A" setting.

This lens needs little introduction. It is a very well regarded Kiron made manual focus dedicated macro lens (As you can see, the serial number starts with "22"). I got it from a dentist who claimed to have used it exactly twice. From the looks of this lens, I believe him. The lens is flawless. Has built in hood. Mostly metal construction. Very well built. Has "A" setting so using it with a flash is easy. Does 1:1 without any adapters. Manual focus of course. Since it was designed as a dentist's macro, it has two stickers on the barrel (removable) which shows the proper magnification for dental photos. I think they are kind of cool, but if you don't like them, simple matter to peel them off. Don't have the original caps, but I will provide generic ones.

Some say that the Lester Dine 100mm f2.8 dental macro and the Kiron 100mm f2.8 macro are also optically the same as this lens only the construction is different. I don't know whether that is true or not, but this lens definitely ranks up there.

Asking $420 + shipping. Sold

Pics of the lens and samples (sorry for the mundane subjects, but I think they adequately show the quality of the lens):

pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
pic5
sample1
sample2
sample3
sample4
sample5

Also available is a Yuzo DC2814 Ring Flash 52mm diameter.

This ring flash is perfectly matched to the Vivtar 105mm macro (although it can be used with any lens with 52mm diameter or less. If you have a lens less than 52mm diameter, you'll need a step down ring though.) It too is practically new, in fact the plastic protective film is still on the back of the power unit. It is selectable for use in both ring mode and direct flash mode (if you'll notice, it is actually two flashes in one). It is a pretty strong flash.

For those of you not familar with a ring flash, a ring flash is a specialty flash designed to aid in provided light for macro photography. Basically, the flash bulb is round and surrounds the front of the lens. This allows light to reach areas that a normal flash (even an off camera one) would have difficulty illuminating. With a ring flash, many high speed handheld shots are possible and hand shake becomes much less of a factor.

It is a Pentax TTL compatible flash, but it has an auto-flash function (locked at f11, ISO 100) and I have successfully used it on my K10D without much difficulty. I have included pictures of it mounted with the Vivitar lens on my K10 for your reference. In addition to the auto-flash mode, it has 1/16 power mode, TTL mode and Manual modes. Even manual mode is quite usable if you reference the chart on the back of the flash unit to gauge distance and aperature. Needless to say if you are using a newer film body or one of the *ist cameras that support TTL, then this flash will work absolutely great for you. Oh also the flash module is interchangable, so theoretically you may be able to purchase one to make this flash fully P-TTL compatible. (although where you might find one outside Japan, I don't know).

I have measured the trigger voltage of the flash at 4.7 volts so there should be no problems with your camera. Flash uses 4 AA's.

Asking $125 + shipping Sold

Here are the pics of the flash and the entire setup:

flash front
flash back
on my camera
from the back

If you buy both items, I will discount the total price to $520 and combine shipping costs.

Shipping for one item (or both items together) is:

$20 inside US via insured priority mail.
$40 worldwide via insured express mail.

I have a number of very positive reviews on this forum and 100% on ebay PM me if you need references.

Last edited by Youngster; 05-23-2008 at 07:59 AM.
05-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 60 (100%)
PM sent for flash