PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50mm f/1.8 Prime Lens, m42 moutn

Asking Price
45.00 USD

Item Location
Pennsylvania (United States)

Item Description
This one was a rehab project. When I received this item attached to a Practika body, it was in very rough shape - it was extremely dirty, the filter ring was all chewed up, the blades were stuck, and the cheap East German cosmoline lubricant used in the helical had thickened so much, it had nearly seized. I pulled all the mechanics apart and cleaned them, and relubed with modern lubricant, and I bumped out the filter ring and machined it down so it would accept a filter again. The resulting lens isn't cosmetically perfect, but it is a nicely performing lens and is mechanically smoother than it would have been even new, so this is a good chance to get a very nicely performing European lens at somewhat of a discount.

Lens exterior shows light handling wear overall. The front of the filter ring shows a few small gouges where it looks like the previous owner had tried to use a screwdriver to bump out the dent, but functionally, the re-machining has restored it to 100%, since filters go on and off just fine.

Externally, the glass appears to be in excellent condition. Internally, there appears to be a very small bubble in the cement in one of the rear groups, but there is no apparent effect on the images the lens produces, which are sharp with nice rendering.

Mechanically, the lens is cleaner and smoother than it was even new. The East German greases are absolutely terrible, and the modern grease I used brings the smoothness of this lens up to a level rivalling a mint Takumar! The low-quality grease also ususally migrates to the aperture blades on these lenses, causing them to seize and bind. I did a full solvent immersion on the blades, and now they are sparkly clean and snap lively in and out of position.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
New

Shipping Destinations
Other (See Listing)

Shipping Charge
$7.50 US, negotiable elsewhere

Shipping Services
USPS Priority

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Item may only be returned if arriving in damaged/DOA condition. Buyer pays return shipping unless otherwise arranged.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
PM sent.
Thanks.
01-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
purchase completed. nice lens.

When I was a kid, this was the lens I couldn't afford, so I got the Meyer-Optik Domiplan 50mm F2.8 instead. Although not highly rated, the Domiplan served me well on film for many years.
Now, I get to try out the lens I wanted, just ~40+ years later.