Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 17 (100%)
pentax smc da* 16-50 sdm (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
pentax smc da* 16-50 sdm (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)

Asking Price
250.00 USD

Item Location
Edmonton (Canada)

Item Description
Up for sale is the 16-50 that I have talked about on this forum previously.

I got it from the national camera exchange knowing it had a bad SDM motor. So the plan was to convert it to screwdrive.

however, being the huge idiot that i am, i didn't back up the original lenseep file and loaded a screwdrive lenseep from a different lens. i know i know, idiot, but that's not something to be discussed here.

obviously the lens now acted erratically and wouldn't focus well. so i started a mission to find as many lenseep files as i could and tried them all. i had limited success with this effort so i found another 16-50 and decided to cut my losses. the new 16-50 (Dead sdm) arrived today and i converted it to screw drive, backing up the lenseep this time.

i decided at that point to try the lenseep file from the new 16-50 in the messed up one, the results i got were quite surprising.

here is the details of the test i ran.

all shots were taken wide open at f2.8

http://members.shaw.ca/wibbly/lens/comparison.html

you can see that the lens i'm selling (the first set of pics) is actually sharper in some places than the new one, however the miss at 24mm and again at 36 makes me a bit more nervous. i'd rather have the new one a bit soft at 16 and 50mm and good inbetween than have this one which is off at 24 and 36, that's why i'm selling this one.

i'd say it's 95% good focusing, just that hitch at 24 and 36.

if you purchase this lens it's in great condition, and comes with a promaster front cap and oem rear cap, it does NOT include a hood.

i will also include all the lenseep files i have collected if someone wants to mess around. if you can decode the lenseep data there are some lenseeps that are bang on at 24mm and 36, maybe you could use the values for that focal length to correct the current file. with the lenseep files i'll also include a folder of test shots from each of the files (there are 5 pics per lenseep, all taken with my k3 and all in raw format still, unmolested)

PLEASE PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THIS CAREFULLY BEFORE CONTACTING ME

the asking price includes all shipping costs and paypal fees.

here are pics of the lens

any questions please reply here or send me a message.

Thanks!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
included

Shipping Services
Canadapost/USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
returns accepted if not as described, however PLEASE PLEASE read carefully before making an offer. all defects are described in detail in the listing.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

---------- Post added 02-02-15 at 04:35 PM ----------

am i asking too much?

i'm certainly open to offers here. this is a difficult thing to price, but given what a new one costs and considering i'm less than half what a used one seems to go for, i thought it was fair.

pm me if you'd like to make an offer on this lens.

Thanks

---------- Post added 02-02-15 at 05:57 PM ----------

at the request of a member, i reshot the pics at 24mm and 36mm in phase detect, contrast detect, and manual with confirmation,

here are the results.

http://members.shaw.ca/wibbly/lens/2436.html

i could not get the lens to behave the same way, in the first set i just used phase detect in afc with back button focusing, holding the button until i got confirmation, then releasing the button and pressing again to hear confirmation again. then remote trigger with a timer. are occasional misses the norm?

02-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 59 (100%)
PM Sent!