Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #1

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
Two M42 screw mount lenses - Takumar 28 and Chinon 135

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
One (remaining) M42 screw mount lenses

Asking Price
45 USD

Item Location
Portland Oregon (United States)

Item Description
Two M42 screw mount lenses that can be used on Pentax or other digital cameras for "special effects" Only Chinon 135/2.8 left for sale.

Filmmakers and digital photographers know that sometimes you need to use unique lenses for special effects. Each of these lenses is, IMO in that category, especially if the lenses are shot wide open.

1. Super takumar 28/3.5 (original large front element)EX+ overall but optically in near mint condition. Sorry this lens is sold!

Why this lens? - it flares more than the later smc version which has a smaller front element. Also, at f3.5 there is a unique glow to the images, and there's tons of falloff. Stop the lens down to f8.0 though and it's sharp out to the edges, and the "glow" (and falloff) is gone.

2. (Rare) Multicoated version of the Helios 44M. $80 - Sorry this lens is SOLD!

Marked MC and from the Zenit factory this lens is the rarest of the Helios 58mm lenses, even rarer than the 44-3 MC. It is in Mint condition, but note that the lens is a bit stiff to focus, and could use re-lubrication. It focuses perfectly properly, just slightly stiffly.

Why this lens? - Helios 44 lenses have a "swirly" out of focus look when shot wide open. Most, however, also flare very badly. This one doesn't as much because it's got the added multicoating. There is some coma (flare) at f2.0 but it is controlled. Stop the lens down to f4 and the swirls and coma are gone. Has the A/M switch (silver tab) which works perfectly.

3. (Strange) Mir 1B, 37/2.8 - comes in original plastic lens case (sweet!). Removing this lens from sale for re-evaluation/repair.

I know this lens is 42mm M42 mount, but it looks like a CCTV lens, doesn't it? It is a pre-set lens, and the aperture is easily adjustable by use of two rings. It also focuses past infinity so might need to be adjusted. It is clean inside and out, though and looks like it is very simple to work on. Could also be that it is meant to be that way? I can't figure it out but I bet you can.

The worst lens I have ever used wide open in terms of flare, but if that's the look you want, shoot it wide open into the sun!! Stop it down and it behaves like a modern lens but with a touch of "glow". I can't really do much better to describe it, and may just add some sample photos to show it. Cool photos are possible with this lens! You just have to experiment.

Special!!! Buy All THREE of these lenses and I will throw in free a nice Chinon Auto Chinon 135/2.8 (shown next to the Takumar). This is an under-valued 135mm lens. It has amazing color rendition in the blue/gold spectrum. Focus is super smooth, aperture and optics perfect. Has the A/M switch. $45.

There you have it. Three special use lenses for that retro, 60's, Hal from 2001 look. Plus one free lens if you are daring enough to buy all three.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Like New

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
At cost, reduction if multiple purchase

Shipping Services
USPS, UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
Returns: At my discretion I will accept a return if item condition is not as shown or item is not functionally as described. Note: return shipping and initial shipping charges will generally not be refunded.

Notes on condition: All items are tested and condition thoroughly checked prior to listing. I rate conservatively. Please contact me first with any further questions about condition or shipping/refunds prior to purchase.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

---------- Post added 05-04-15 at 12:50 PM ----------

The Helios 44M MC lens rarely shows up and when it does it typically goes for $80-100. It is the only non-preset version of the Helios 44 series with 8 aperture blades.

Here is an example selling for $99 from the Ukraine.

MC Helios 44M 58mm F 2 M42 Very RARE MC Version | eBay

I will post sample photos using these lenses tomorrow. Better hurry... once people see these, they will sell.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 

Last edited by Pixel-8; 05-12-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: accuracy; sold one lens, removed one from sale for repair
05-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #2

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
PM sent in regards to:

2. (Rare) Multicoated version of the Helios 44M. $80

05-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I just sent a reply.
05-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
The Helios 44M MC lens is sold. Removing the Mir for re-evaluation or repair.

Posting some photos taken by the other two lenses. First two are by the Super Takumar - flowers shows the "glow", wide open, even in subdued lighting,
then look what happens stopped down a bit (~ f5.6) with the tennis ball photo? Sharp with great color, and only a touch of glow in high contrast transitions.

Next couple are from the Mir1b (37/2.8) lens stopped down a bit (f5.6), using a deep hood (really deep one). Sharp with that old school color palette. These two shots were on a Canon body, but the lens is M42 mount so it can also be used on Pentax K bodies with an M42 to K adapter.

Last shot of flowers is from the Helios 44M 58/2 MC lens that just sold. Somebody grabbed it and got a great deal on it. Also the lens is built like a Soviet Tank! Enjoy!

Also go online and see examples of the Super Takumar 28/3.5 and Mir 1B on video:

4 Lenses for Amazing Camera Lens Flares | VashiVisuals Blog

Lists the Takumar 28/3.5 (big front element), Helios 44, Mir 1b

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 

Last edited by Pixel-8; 05-08-2015 at 09:18 AM.
05-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 79 (100%)
PM sent with interest on the Mir
05-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks I just sent a reply. I am currently re-testing the Mir lens at infinity with a different adapter.

---------- Post added 05-07-15 at 04:45 PM ----------

Still focusing past infinity, though not as bad. I'll be removing the Mir from this listing.

Takumar 28/3.5 is still available. Chinon 135/2.8 MC shown also available for $45. $90+ shipping for both (OBO)
05-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
Only the Chinon 135/2.8 lens left. The lens is Mint optically, with both front and rear caps. Will post sample photos or relist separately.

Thanks to those who made offers and sorry for those who missed out.