Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Bigma Price Reduced Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3 EX APO RF

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3 EX APO RF (Original Bigma)

Asking Price
675.00 USD Reduced to $625.00 Reduced to $600

Item Location
Orange County, California (United States)

Item Description
This is the original Bigma, not the newer HSM OS version.

I bought it used to shoot my daughter's high school soccer. I then bought a Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM and used it more than the Bigma, primarily because of it's size. But my daughter is graduating and I don't shoot birds or anything where the flexibility and reach of this lens is more valuable then its substantial weight and size. The lens has seen a lot of use, showing scuffs primarily on the hood, although some on the body as well. The biggest scuff is on the tripod foot as can be seen in one of the photos. Image quality is excellent when used properly (sufficient shutter speed and/or tripod/monopod). My experience has been that the lens can be hand held, but not for long periods of time.

There is nothing else that gives you the reach and extraordinary range that this lens does for the price.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
$20.00

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
No returns, unless lens is not as described.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by lenp; 07-03-2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Price Reduction
05-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump!
05-15-2015, 05:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will be gone for the weekend and unable to ship until Tuesday.[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added 05-16-2015 at 10:

Last edited by lenp; 05-16-2015 at 08:54 AM.
05-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump again

05-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Price reduced to $625.00
05-23-2015, 06:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Saturday bump
05-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Saturday bump

06-06-2015, 06:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another Saturday bump
06-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
if I had the money this would be good for my upcoming Yellowstone trip... Good luck with the sale! Here's a free bump!
06-11-2015, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The lens is temporarily not available to be shipped. Will is borrowing it to take on his trip to Yellowstone. Hopefully, he will post some great photos and provide some comments about the lens after his trip.
06-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I won't let you down, Len! The kindness of everyone in this community never ceases to amaze me.
06-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

After using lenp's Bigma for my trip to Yellowstone, I can officially say that this quite the fun lens. Having never used something this long, I can definitely say there is a learning curve. The lens is quite sharp up until 300mm or so, then needs stopping down a bit for sharpness out at 500mm. Most of the images I took with this lens were at the long end, and it definitely opened the door for me to make some good wildlife shots that would not have been possible otherwise. This lens is exactly as described: well used but in great shape optically and mechanically and an overall joy to use once you get the hang of it. I found shooting in TAv mode between f/8 and f/11 and around 1/1000s in good light had no issues rendering good images. If I had the means or justification to keep this lens that lenp so graciously let me borrow and try out, I definitely would. As it is, though, I cannot keep it and highly recommend someone taking lenp up on this great deal for such a versatile lens.

Here are a few of my favorite shots with the Bigma from my trip. These have been sharpened a little bit in my normal post processing. I will try to post the straight off the card versions when I get on a better network connection tomorrow to give you guys an idea of what the lens is capable off with no editing. These images are all uncropped.

This guy was almost at minimum focus distance at 500mm, quite a lucky shot.

One of the bighorns I saw:

A grizzly (I think!) bear in the shade one evening. This one was handheld in poor light, so I used a less than ideal shutter speed at ISO 2000 with the lens at 500mm. Given those conditions and my lack of skill with wildlife shots and long lenses, I would say the limiting factor here was me, not the Bigma.

This elk was particularly fun.

An example of a bison on the wide end:

And last but not least, a moose near the middle of the zoom range.

I feel that these images should provide a good indication of the lens is capable of, as the limiting factor in my images was (as usual) me, not the gear. I have many more images if any potential buyers want to see them.

Again, thanks to Len for his kindness and generosity and best of luck with the sale.
06-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
After using lenp's Bigma for my trip to Yellowstone, I can officially say that this quite the fun lens. Having never used something this long, I can definitely say there is a learning curve. The lens is quite sharp up until 300mm or so, then needs stopping down a bit for sharpness out at 500mm. Most of the images I took with this lens were at the long end, and it definitely opened the door for me to make some good wildlife shots that would not have been possible otherwise. This lens is exactly as described: well used but in great shape optically and mechanically and an overall joy to use once you get the hang of it. I found shooting in TAv mode between f/8 and f/11 and around 1/1000s in good light had no issues rendering good images. If I had the means or justification to keep this lens that lenp so graciously let me borrow and try out, I definitely would. As it is, though, I cannot keep it and highly recommend someone taking lenp up on this great deal for such a versatile lens.

Here are a few of my favorite shots with the Bigma from my trip. These have been sharpened a little bit in my normal post processing. I will try to post the straight off the card versions when I get on a better network connection tomorrow to give you guys an idea of what the lens is capable off with no editing. These images are all uncropped.

This guy was almost at minimum focus distance at 500mm, quite a lucky shot.

One of the bighorns I saw:

A grizzly (I think!) bear in the shade one evening. This one was handheld in poor light, so I used a less than ideal shutter speed at ISO 2000 with the lens at 500mm. Given those conditions and my lack of skill with wildlife shots and long lenses, I would say the limiting factor here was me, not the Bigma.

This elk was particularly fun.

An example of a bison on the wide end:

And last but not least, a moose near the middle of the zoom range.

I feel that these images should provide a good indication of the lens is capable of, as the limiting factor in my images was (as usual) me, not the gear. I have many more images if any potential buyers want to see them.

Again, thanks to Len for his kindness and generosity and best of luck with the sale.
Thanks Will. Judging by these photos, I'd say you did very well.
07-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Price reduced to $600
07-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #15

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
I'll take it....

Hi Len--I'll take your Bigma. Been watching this for many months. PM me your pp address and I'll send funds ASAP. brian