Item for Sale
2 x Pentax DA* 50-135mm 2.8

Asking Price
435.00 USD

Item Location
Montreal (Canada)

Item Description
Reason for selling :
(if you don’t care, please skip to item description )
I am selling some back up lenses that I won’t see myself using much in the future. I have had four copies of this lens and now have three in my possession.
I had two because I decided that I wanted to shoot more wedding this year, and bought a third one when a bunch of Pentax lenses showed up "as is" on Ebay a few months ago for great prices. I tried to get lucky but it didn't work out so great. The one I bought then was cosmetically perfect but had a dead sdm motor as well as a problem focussing between 90 and 135mm. Anyway, I sent it for repair, got a new SDM motor in and a lens adjustment as well, so I’m keeping that one and selling my other two copies. We had our third child last week, with my oldest being 3 and myself still a full time University student, I’m pretty sure I won’t need a back up copy of this lens for a little while since I don’t plan on shooting much wedding this year. And so, this is the story of this sale.

Shipping is 10USD to Canada, 20USD to the US.

DA* 50-135mm #1 - Serial # 9007069

435 USD plus shipping

Item description

Physical condition : 8/10

The lens body is in good condition, has no scratch or dent or anything you wouldn’t expect from normal usage. Focus ring is smooth and constant throughout the whole range. The zooming ring is extremely easy to turn, it barely has any stiffness, making it very easy to go from one extreme of the zoom range to the other without any necessary effort. AF/MF button works fine as well, focus scale also works fine.
The bayonet mount where the lens hood attaches to the lens cracked and is now missing a small plastic part. I used a small amount of glue to fix it. (see photo and explanation just below)

Lens hood
The lens hood got knocked on a wall while using the camera (not a fall) and that’s how the lens hood mount of the camera got cracked. It also cracked a small plastic part inside the hood, where it attaches to the camera. A small drop of glue took care of it. To be clear, the exterior part of the hood is not cracked whatsoever, it’s only the small plastic part that attaches to the camera that is. The lens hood still attaches firmly to the lens, without any wobble. The same twisting motion is needed to attach and detach it. it also aligns perfectly.
The lens hood has some small scratches, especially on its left side where you can see several tiny scratches. No dent and white dots and Pentax Logo still intact. See photo for more details.

Does not come with original Pentax soft pouch.

SDM
I have converted the lens to use screw drive motor 6-9 months ago. The SDM was still working, but it had been making a high pitch sound for a while and I was worried that it would give up on me at the wrong time. When I was still using the SDM, it didn’t need any wake up time, it seemed reasonably fast and accurate. Using screw drive, focus is relatively fast (it's not the fastest focussing lens, either using SDM or screw drive, which is a know fact), accurate and working good throughout the zoom range and in different lighting condition. I can revert it back to SDM upon the request of the buyer, but I can’t guarantee how long the SDM will last. Could be years, could me months.

The lens is sharp, even at 2.8 and 135mm. I have included some quick snapshots taken today, in my backyard, of my kids playing around (in some rather harsh light), all at 2.8, most of them at 135mm. See flickr album.
I have had 4 copies of this lens over the years. This les wasn’t use for wedding, mostly for concerts and family pictures. I didn’t use it much, preferring item #2 as my primary one.

More pictures of and from the lens in the flickr album : https://www.flickr.com/gp/22941979@N05/356Gj4

DA* 50-135mm 2.8 #2 - Serial number #9291636 SOLD

475USD plus shipping.

Item description

Physical condition : 8.5/10

The lens body is in excellent/as new condition. I rated it a 8.5 because I had to glue a small part of plastic that holds the hood in place (yeah… same problem that number 1 had) and I somehow put more glue than needed, and it shows quite a bit if you look for it. The glue is strong and will slightly decolor plastic, for which I used a black permanent marker to cover up. It all sound crazy and messy, but it really isn’t that bad, just look at the pictures. It won’t show when the hood is on too. Other than that, the lens is in pristine condition, very clean copy.
Focus and zoom ring both work flawlessly.

The lens hood is brand new. I had only one lens hood that I shared with my two lenses but decided to order a new one from Ricoh when I decided I would sell the lens. This is the lens that I used for wedding and portrait sessions.

It also comes with the original Pentax soft pouch. (not pictured)

SDM
The SDM motor works well, is very silent (no noticeable sound that I can hear) and is accurate. I do find it slow, but this lens is reputable for it’s rather slow focus. I actually think the screw drive might be a little bit faster.
The lens is equally sharp as number one, I find it performs perfectly optically.

Flickr album for photos of and from the lens. All taken today, straight out of camera jpeg, no sharpening applied. https://www.flickr.com/gp/22941979@N05/eQ68i6

Pictures of the lens for sale (see flickr for larger size)

DA* #1

DA* #2

Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Other (See Listing)

Shipping Charge
varies

Shipping Services
Canada Post / USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
Item may be return if not as described or defective. Buyers pays return shipping. Money is refunded upon inspection of the lens.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by kp0c; 05-27-2015 at 05:44 PM.
05-27-2015, 05:52 AM   #2

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
hi, will you consider shipping to UK ? also what will be the delivery cost for that ? I'm interested in the second lens.
cheers
05-27-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 65 (100%)
Original Poster
I made a small mistake in the description, please be aware of it if you are returning to my post - the Pentax soft pouch is NOT included with the #1 lens. It is included with the second one.

---------- Post added 05-27-15 at 09:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcmaze Quote
hi, will you consider shipping to UK ? also what will be the delivery cost for that ? I'm interested in the second lens.
cheers
I will gladly ship worldwide. However, for such expansive lens, I would rather use air mail, of course, and that can be pricey. Let me get a quote and I'll get back to you.