PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Pentax-A* 300mm f/2.8 ED [IF]

Asking Price
1450.00 USD

Item Location
Savannah, GA (United States)

Item Description
SMC Pentax-A* 300mm f/2.8 ED [IF] -- $1450 + shipping/insurance (actual cost)

Well, this was a tough decision as this is probably my most beloved lens, but I've got too many expensive long lenses and I just can't justify it financially. (I also have the A*600/5.6, which I'm keeping, but if you had a serious interest in that I could probably be talked into selling that one instead for $700 more.)

Reviews:

SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF] Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Condition-wise, some paint loss and scratches, mainly on the part that the hood covers up when it is retracted, around tripod collar, etc. (Btw, don't put this lens face down on a table with the hood extended -- the little lock screw isn't strong enough to hold the heavy weight of the lens and it will slide down.)

Comes in its original trunk case, which has a little bit of interior damage (and an odd piece of styrofoam someone put in there for whatever reason). I never use the trunk -- here in Georgia it needs to be in the dry cabinet or in an airtight case with desiccants.

Other than the cosmetics, it operates perfectly. The glass is great, no scratches. It does have a minor amount of internal dust, but nothing that needs to be bothered with at this stage. Looks like I forgot to take a picture of the drop-in filter holder taken out of the lens, but it holds 49mm filters in the rear (no mechanism to rotate a polarizer though without removing the holder). The filter is the only optical element on rear side of the aperture, so while I usually leave one in there for storage I take it out for shooting for best quality. I will include a Hoya HMC UV(0) filter in the holder.

Like the others of this series, this is an internal focus model, and the focus ring turns very easily without much to any dampening. It has a focus lock gadget (what is the actual name of that?) like other lenses of this type (that extra little thumbscrew on the rear of the focus ring) which allows you to set a "click-stop" at any arbitrary focus point (or none at all). This is useful if you are in a fixed position and shooting something like a bird's nest or a particular spot on a sports field, etc, where you want to be able to get back to that spot quickly but you also want to focus on other things while waiting for that opportunity to arrive. Focus on this spot, lock in the mechanism, and you can find your way back to that point just by turning the ring until it clicks.

The tripod collar rotates 360, with click-stops at 12, 3, 6, & 9 o'clock. I wish it had more than one screw hole (and a 3/8" one, it only has a single 1/4" hole), but that's the way it is. This lens is very front heavy (since ALL of the glass is in the front, and it is heavy glass), so having a long arca plate like I've got helps. This is pretty much a tripod only (or at least good monopod) lens -- it is too heavy to take more than a shot or two handheld. You'll want a sturdy tripod with a good head, preferably a gimbal head.

I'm going to go on a digression about the tripod arca plates here. NOTE: THE TRIPOD PLATES SHOWN ARE NOT PART OF THE SALE PRICE. I will sell them to you for an additional $40 if you want for convenience sake, which is what they'd cost you (and what they cost me), or I'll just keep them. However, I wanted to point out how I doubled up the plates and why it is a good idea since it took me a while to find a solution I was happy with.

If you are going to use a gimbal head (and even if you're not, but you should), unless you're using an alternative system like Manfrotto, you are going to want a long arca plate to be able to balance the thing properly. (Did I mention this lens is very front heavy?) So you NEED a plate just as long as I've got there -- 150mm -- but as you can see if you put it directly on the tripod collar it would hit the front of the lens. Thus, I added a second smaller plate in-between to gain some distance. (This helps focusing too so the plate isn't so much in the way on the bottom.) I wanted it to be very secure, so I searched high and low for a plate that could be attached to the collar and still have two attachment points in the right place for the long plate. The only thing I could find that would work is the "Joby Ultra Plate" ($19.95 at B&H if you don't get the version with the strap) which is actually a body plate with a handstrap attachment, but it works perfectly. The long plate is a Desmond DPL-150, also about $20 at various places. (It has an anti-twist back, but the screw hole position is just about a millimeter shy to get it to the edge of the upper plate -- still, this particular plate was the best I could find for the job in terms of the opening being in the right place to position it properly.) Anyway, as you can see, with the double-plate it still just barely clears the hood when it is retracted. I stick that little piece of blue foam in there just for extra support at the front, but since it is soft the hood can still retract. Mission accomplished, balance achieved.

The front filter threads are 112mm. However, they are a different thread pitch than most filters you might buy today, so if you happen to have or get a 112mm filter, don't force it (it may only go on a half-turn or something). I think Pentax had a 112mm protective filter as an option, but they are pretty scarce. The Tamron Adaptall 300/2.8 & 400/4 models have the same threads as this (112mm with the same pitch) -- so if you are looking for a protective filter one of the Tamron 112 "Normal" filters that are a bit easier to find will also work.

$1450 + shipping&insurance. This will cost at least $45 to send anywhere, and if it is not near Georgia than it will likely be $60-$90 for shipping. I will consider shipping outside the USA on a case-by-case basis if you have a forum track record and good feedback, etc. I have no idea what it will cost to ship overseas -- a lot, probably. If you a serious buyer, ask me for a shipping quote. Payment is to be via PayPal, sent to your confirmed address. If you are anywhere near Savannah, GA, you can examine the lens in person and pay cash. (I would consider delivering it personally if it was within 100 miles -- gas would cost about the same as shipping.)

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
at least $40 USD (actual cost + insurance)

Shipping Services
USPS, FedEX ground

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
Will accept returns if not as stated. Please let me know of any problems within 3 days of delivery.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by vonBaloney; 06-19-2015 at 07:47 AM.
05-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
Nice lens. I probably would have jumped on this in February but have since acquired the DA*300/4.... good luck selling!
06-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 63 (100%)
Original Poster
bump.
06-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
A great lens. I am hanging on to mine.

06-04-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
bump!
06-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some nibbles, no bites. Will list on ebay soon...
06-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
I've often had wild moments of desire for this lens, but I will admit that I seldom use my “Duchess” (SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0) so this fine optic would be wasted on me. Good luck with your sale.
06-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I've often had wild moments of desire for this lens, but I will admit that I seldom use my “Duchess” (SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0) so this fine optic would be wasted on me. Good luck with your sale.
It is big and heavy, and definitely not for everyone. Tripod or substitute (I often shoot from the car with a window mount at the wildlife refuge) mandatory. But the images...mmmm.

06-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I often shoot from the car with a window mount at the wildlife refuge
You need to be careful with that, sad story from last week.

Moment lion killed Game of Thrones? Katherine Chappell pictured | Daily Mail Online
06-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You need to be careful with that, sad story from last week.

Moment lion killed Game of Thrones? Katherine Chappell pictured | Daily Mail Online
I have to watch for alligators, but I don't think they taken to jumping in windows so far. In Colorado it was buffalo...
06-08-2015, 02:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
This is tempting

How well does this perform with the AF 1.7 adapter? I note the reviews have said it is OK.
06-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
This is tempting

How well does this perform with the AF 1.7 adapter? I note the reviews have said it is OK.
It works quite well. The 1.7 isn't as high quality as the "L" converters, you will find a few more aberrations sometimes but as long as you are nailing focus it is plenty good and still quite fast at a f/4.5 equivalent. This was taken with the AFA 1.7x.
Attached Images

06-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter

OK, so the combo is a goer. I am going to have to contemplate, but don't wait for me ......

Overnight I snagged a FA*85 for an unexpectedly lowish price (still big money). So the piggy bank was raided between posts ...... but were there is a will there is a way
06-09-2015, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
This lens with the AFA1.7x is definitely a good combo. The attached photo is good proof.

06-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter

ahhhhh I am held once again in the grip of LBA ......