PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Focusing screen S-Type w/ AF Frame (focusingscreen.com) unopened

Asking Price
65.00 USD

Item Location
Savannah, GA (United States)

Item Description
This is the "K-5 S-Type with AF frame" focusing screen from focusingscreen.com -- new, never opened. I bought it a year ago or so when I *thought* I was about to buy another body to put it in (I already have one of these in my K-5), but then suddenly I was moving to a new state and never did get that body, so it has just been sitting around.

Reports are that this doesn't possibly doesn't play nice (because of the AF frame lines) with the newer models (K5II, K-3) with their fancier metering and AF systems, but if you have a K-5 or K-7 (K20D? K10D? Are those the same?) this really helps with manual focusing, especially faster lenses. But please do your homework -- there are about 200 pages of pros and cons of this on this forum, and of course you have to install it, possibly adjust shims, etc. (Everything you need is included.) Just make sure you want it, I'm not going to take a return because you don't like the changes in your metering or some such. (It actually improves the metering, I think.) Personally, I love it, that's why I bought this even before I (almost) bought the camera I was going to put it in.

$65 shipped to USA (add $5 to Canada) -- that saves you about $30 over current prices and you'll get it a heck of a lot faster. Priority mail to USA (2-3 days), first class international to Canada (takes a week or so usually).

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
New

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
free to USA (+$5 for Canada)

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Only if defective/damaged (it is unopened), i.e. make sure you want it.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

Last edited by vonBaloney; 07-15-2015 at 10:24 AM.
06-03-2015, 06:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 79 (100%)
Bump for a great item and even better seller!
06-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 63 (100%)
Original Poster
Any interest at all? Shoot me an offer.
06-13-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 79 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Bump for a great item and even better seller!
And again!

07-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
bump!
07-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a focusing screen, it's brand new, it's still available, yep. Lowered the price too....
07-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
I've the S-type with grid lines but no AF marks on my K-3 and it works flawlessly... I seem to remember there being a slight metering problem on mid-apertures but I usually operate in manual and honestly it's never been the slightest issue for me. Just throwing in my opinion of these screens. The biggest thing for me is the visible focus depth - it improved my manual focus on the K-3 by at LEAST 3 times the successful "hit" rate for lowlight shots especially. Love it.
07-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I've the S-type with grid lines but no AF marks on my K-3 and it works flawlessly.
Here is a link to what I am selling, just to make clear what the lines are:

Focusing Screen

Stevebrot had made some observations about the AF lines possibly making the metering a bit wonky on the newer cameras with their enhanced metering sensors. On the K-5 I believe it actually improves the metering with manual stop-down lenses as you get a more linear response throughout the aperture range, and it makes manual focusing so much easier I think it is a no-brainer. Depending on the lens, you may get slightly different metering compared to live view, but I think the stock screen worse in this respect as you stop down and the amount changes with different aperture. On the K-5 I generally find that I am setting EV to -.7 if I want the metering to match live view and that will be constant with different apertures, but the adjustment depends on the lens. (Some are +.7, some don't need adjustment -- it is always less than 1 stop though either way.)

I think I will use one without lines when I do get my K-3 or newer just in case they have an effect.

07-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #9

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
PM sent!