Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
No takers at $180? Wow... If I hadn't been on the wrong continent I'd be sorely tempted - despite already having a 43

08-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 44 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentDisco Quote
Since I'm so new to the Pentax world (coming from an Olympus SLR), can someone break down the difference between this lens and the Pentax DA 35mm F2.4?

I'm looking for a prime that's going to be (in order of preference)
1) good in low light
2) quiet
3) quick to focus
Since this is a sale thread I would suggest a separate thread for that. But since you asked...
I own both. I have the 35 2.4 for sale myself and I am keeping my DA 40 - I could have easily gone the other way but that is what I have done so far. The differences are:

The DA 35 is technically slightly better in low light but only by 1/3 of a stop - inconsequential in real use.
The DA 40 is a bit quieter when focusing - maybe due to metal body vs. plastic.
The two lenses are nearly as fast to focus as each other. I'm not sure which is faster.

PIcture quality wise both are good. The DA 40 just feels nicer. I hope that helps.
08-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #18

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Since this is a sale thread I would suggest a separate thread for that. But since you asked...
I own both. I have the 35 2.4 for sale myself and I am keeping my DA 40 - I could have easily gone the other way but that is what I have done so far. The differences are:

The DA 35 is technically slightly better in low light but only by 1/3 of a stop - inconsequential in real use.
The DA 40 is a bit quieter when focusing - maybe due to metal body vs. plastic.
The two lenses are nearly as fast to focus as each other. I'm not sure which is faster.

PIcture quality wise both are good. The DA 40 just feels nicer. I hope that helps.
Thanks to all of you guys for offering your opinions and making the differences clear. I'm hoping to add this as my first-ever non-kit lens.
08-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #19
Closed Account

Feedback Score: 33 (100%)
Original Poster
Thanks for all of the support

Sale pending -- PM replied