Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 123 (100%)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Still available?

Bump!

03-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #32

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
According to the comparison between this one and the new DFA 24-70, the 70mm performance of this old lens is really disappointing. But the color is really beautiful, it's good for landscapes.
03-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #33

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
Hey folks,

This is the last Pentax lens I got left. make me a sensible offer and I will consider it.

- $800 FA* 28-70mm F/2.8, Excellent condition optically and mechanically, Power Zoom functions on compatible bodies, Cosmetically good apart from some paint scratch near PZ-switch, comes with original hood, caps.

Payment via Paypal or bank transfer (preferred) - for seller feedback pls see my profile..

---------- Post added 08-03-2015 at 11:02 PM ----------

Bump for Tuesday

---------- Post added 08-05-2015 at 12:42 AM ----------

Bump for Wednesday
I am interested, pm sent let me know!
03-05-2016, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 46 (100%)
The general knock on this lens is that wide open at 70mm is its weakest spot. But it doesn't have many weak spots. And, yes, I'm sure that a brand new, HD lens 2 times more costly would yield better IQ. But that's a "duh", no?

It's still a damn good lens. If I could justify owning two, I'd have bought this one already.

Last edited by sholtzma; 03-11-2016 at 08:30 AM.
03-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #35

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
Original Poster
Thank you for the continued endorsement - I did my own comparison a few years back with the full frame Tamron B007 (SP 24-70), And my conclusion is the Tamron wins on the tele end while the Pentax destroys it on the wide end (even if 007 zoomed to 28mm).
However, the most difference and my personal preference is in the colour and rendering quality of the FA*.
Call it whatever you want, the colours are just more true to life and pleasing on the FA*, the 007 had a noticeable yellow cast. The smoothness of transition and micro-contrast is beautiful on the FA*. The Bokeh ain't bad for a zoom either.
As sholtzma said, if you really want to compare sharpness of 2 lens 3 decades apart, then maybe the FA* isn't for you. We often forget a lens is far more than sharpness.
Having said that I personally haven't used the HD Pentax (which really is just a re-coated newer version Tamron). Alas, I have none other Pentax gear left to do test shoots.
03-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #36
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Wow, I'm amazed that this lens hasn't sold in such a long time. I've had mine for about 9 years and for most of that time it was the only wide lens I had. I love this lens. I find that the FA's tend to have wonderful color rendition whereas the newer lenses seem more blue to me. Guys, you can't go wrong with this lens!
03-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
Yeah, just awful...

QuoteOriginally posted by lxmouseustc Quote
According to the comparison between this one and the new DFA 24-70, the 70mm performance of this old lens is really disappointing. But the color is really beautiful, it's good for landscapes.
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
The general knock on this lens is that wide open at 70mm is its weakest spot. But it doesn't have many weak spots. And, yes, I'm sure that a brand new, HD lens 3 times more costly would yield better IQ. But that's a "duh", no?

It's still a damn good lens. If I could justify owning two, I'd have bought this one already.

Virtually unusable...I don't know how you can even take pictures with it...I'd be embarrassed to show my friends...I'll give you 50 bucks for it...

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
Thank you for the continued endorsement - I did my own comparison a few years back with the full frame Tamron B007 (SP 24-70), And my conclusion is the Tamron wins on the tele end while the Pentax destroys it on the wide end (even if 007 zoomed to 28mm).
However, the most difference and my personal preference is in the colour and rendering quality of the FA*.
Call it whatever you want, the colours are just more true to life and pleasing on the FA*, the 007 had a noticeable yellow cast. The smoothness of transition and micro-contrast is beautiful on the FA*. The Bokeh ain't bad for a zoom either.
As sholtzma said, if you really want to compare sharpness of 2 lens 3 decades apart, then maybe the FA* isn't for you. We often forget a lens is far more than sharpness.
Having said that I personally haven't used the HD Pentax (which really is just a re-coated newer version Tamron). Alas, I have none other Pentax gear left to do test shoots.

One of the greatest lenses in the history of lenses.

Cheers,
Cameron

03-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #38

Original Poster
Beautiful portrait.
03-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 46 (100%)
You know, maybe if we all scheme together quietly, we can convince Katsura that the lens IS pure garbage. Then, he'll lower the price to $100 and I can snap up the lens before you other clods figure out what a steal this lens is..... Now, let's start by agreeing that we'll all post that we think that this lens is garbage, that the new Tamron is great, and that this lens is overpriced.

Katsura won't know what hit him! ;-)
03-09-2016, 01:47 AM   #40

Original Poster
Did someone mention it's a garbage lens? Oh dear I must have over paid for it all those years ago...
I found the 70 end works great on the APS-C for portraits, on my new mount (M4/3), I have now picked up an Olympus M.Zuiko 75mm to do similar work (of course the Zuiko is 150mm equiv and thus actually a lot restricted(leg works, hard to get a full body shot, but good for half body) compared with the FA zoom.
03-09-2016, 02:02 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
OK, Ok, my LBA has been in remission for some time, but with the advent of the K-1, there are new stirrings. PM sent.
03-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #42

Original Poster
Looks like everyone raves how good this lens is but no one wants to pay the fair price for it. Rather buy the $1500+ Tamron.
03-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #43

Original Poster
I'd happily take $750 for mine but the offer so far are $450, $600 and $680 and they want shipping included. Obviously I want it to sell because it's sitting gathering dust (figure of speech, it's in my climate controlled lens cabinet) and I'd rather it out there taking photos but low balling is not going to lower the price. I have not had trouble selling any of my other dozen or so Pentax lens here so why this one?

P.S> For anyone who thinks the hood doesn't help this lens you've not used one before - it's not an internal zoom and the barrel extends a couple of inches out when zoomed, the lens hood is designed to envelope the extended barrel.

Last edited by Katsura; 03-12-2016 at 01:48 AM.
03-12-2016, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
I am surprised a moderator hasn't got heavy on all this price discussion (OP excluded - they are allowed to). I got in to all sorts of trouble for comments a 1/10th as overt as comments here.

The OP has made a price and that is that. I think we need to be fair to the seller and NOT undermine their attempts to sell this awesome lens.

Just my two bobs worth.
03-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 159 (99%)
Price discussions in a FS thread in the Marketplace are a violation of Forum Marketplace rules.

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I am surprised a moderator hasn't got heavy on all this price discussion (OP excluded - they are allowed to). I got in to all sorts of trouble for comments a 1/10th as overt as comments here.

The OP has made a price and that is that. I think we need to be fair to the seller and NOT undermine their attempts to sell this awesome lens.

Just my two bobs worth.
Beat me to it. Clear violation.