Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
Tokina AT-X 80-200/2.8 SD Ka-mount Lens with Hood and Case

For Sale: Tokina AT-X 80-200/2.8 SD Ka-mount Lens with Hood and Case
fwcetus | Ships: United States | Located In: United States | Price: $199 USD

Looking for a good home is this Tokina AT-X 80-200/2.8 SD manual focus lens. This lens design was released in both K-mount and Ka-mount versions -- this particular lens happens to be the preferred Ka-mount model, which can be used in many exposure modes with a Pentax DSLR (unlike the older K-mount version, which necessitates "green button stop-down metering").

This lens is in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition, although, optically, there is some internal dust (the bane of lenses that change length while focusing or zooming, since doing either will suck air in or pump air out each time). However, the glass (except for the dust particles) is clear. The lens focuses and zooms very smoothly, the aperture ring moves properly, and the aperture blades are "snappy". There are no significant scratches that I can see (and certainly no dings) on the all-metal body, although the plastic hood shows a few very light scratches (probably not visible in the pictures appended below).

The lens comes with the original Tokina front and back lens caps as well as the original hood and the "mostly original" hard lens case (I have replaced the foam inside the hinged cover of the case). The lens case is fully functional and structurally solid, with just a few external marks from sacrificing itself to protect the lens within.

I like the clip-on lens hood design (common to several MF AT-X lenses) -- it attaches very securely aimed forward to shield the front of the lens from stray light, but it also attaches aimed backward for lens storage, and, since the clip-on design leaves the 77mm filter threads free, the lens cap can be attached to the front of the lens with the lens hood already attached for stowing.

You may also read user reviews of the Tokina AT-X 80-200/2.8 SD manual focus lens at Tokina AT-X SD 80-200mm f2.8 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I have appended a number of photos below -- the first ones are of the lens itself, while the rest I took around town just yesterday (9/14/2015), to illustrate how the lens performs. Please view all of the images of the lens, or taken with the lens, and then please contact me by PM if you have any questions, or if you wish to buy the lens. Thanks.

Shipping will be to the USA only, by USPS Priority Mail at the buyer's expense. [Depending on the buyer's location, I would estimate this to be perhaps $12-$15 USD, but please remember that the exact USPS cost is yet to be determined.]

Payment must be by PayPal only.

Thank you for your interest in this classic lens, photos of which, and from which, now follow:

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent mechanically, cosmetically, and optically (except for some interior dust)

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
USPS Priority Mail at cost

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Return is allowed if the lens is not as described.[Thanks.]

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by fwcetus; 09-16-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: correction
09-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 43 (100%)
Hi there, nice photos of the lens and the dogs.
09-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
how much foe the lens
09-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
how much foe the lens
Hmmm... Well, that was strange -- I filled out the "For Sale" form, with fields for such items, and all the sale info is missing. [Maybe I deleted it by mistake when I edited the listing.] I will try to fix it -- sorry. Stand by, please...

EDIT: OK, I fixed it the best I could, manually putting the price, item location, and shipping destination back into the listing. [If I can figure how to fix it properly, I'll do so.] Sorry about the confusion...

Thanks for your question, lguckert79 -- without it I wouldn't have noticed for at least a while that the price and other info were missing.

---------- Post added 09-16-15 at 09:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
Hi there, nice photos of the lens and the dogs.
Thanks, Michael.

Last edited by fwcetus; 09-16-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: update
09-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
Definitely one of my favorite old school tele zooms from back when I still shot with a K-5. I might be tempted to nab it for my a7s if it's still around once my paycheck rolls in
09-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens Doctor Conversion for C---n Video

Some of these ol' MF Tokina AT-X 80-200/2.8 SD lenses are being converted by "The Lens Doctor" to video lenses (which basically involves changing the mount and removing the click stops from the aperture ring, I think) -

Link - Lenses For Sale

"We have had the opportunity to do a comparison test with a Canon 70-200 EF USM IS L lens recently, please see the comparison pictures below and in the gallery, you will not believe the results.. For definition the Tokina Beat the Canon, as tested by a professional Photographic analyst. It will certainly make you think twice about parting with £2500 for a EF Canon lens when this Tokina is just as good."

Perhaps a "bit" of hype...

I also found it interesting that a few other of my ol' cult classic lenses can be similarly converted (listed on the same page as above) - the VS1 35-85/2.8 Varifocal, the VS1 135/2.3, the VS1 24-48/3.8, and the VS1 28/1.9.

However, while the VS1 35-85/2.8 Varifocal is a gem, I can't understand why it would be desirable for video, in that it is varifocal (ie., not parfocal) on purpose -- I don't do any video, but I think that this characteristic would be a nuisance for video...

Oh, consider this a bump . . .
09-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
I have this same lens. If you can live without autofocus - as I can - it is excellent. On my K 5 with the blessed in-body shake reduction it is eminently hand holdable. It will also help your body-building, since this all-metal beauty is HEAVY. I'd think that with a strong camera strap this bad boy would be a fine personal defense weapon! My only quibble with the lens is that I can't mount the Tokina to a tripod using its tripod mount when I have the battery grip mounted on my K 5.

09-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 63 (100%)
Payment sent.