Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 63 (100%)
The Bokina! Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina) 90/2.5 macro (NEW & IMPROVED!) w/ 1:1 adapter

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
The Bokina! Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina) 90/2.5 macro (NEW & IMPROVED!) w/ 1:1 adapter

Asking Price
240.00 USD

Item Location
Savannah, GA (United States)

Item Description
Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 macro (1:2) w/ matching 1:1 macro adapter (PK mount) -- $240 + $20 shipping (USA)

NOTE: This lens has been slightly modified (improved!), so read description carefully.

This is the so-called "Bokina" because it was made by Tokina for Vivitar and is known for its creamy wonderful bokeh. Because of this, it is both a top-notch macro and portrait lens. (It's full-frame!) Without the adapter, it reaches 1:2 magnification ratio. With the adapter, you get full life-size 1:1 magnification along with a rotating tripod mount -- it is matched adapter made specifically for this lens to correct aberrations and maximize image quality at macro distances. (However, there is nothing preventing you from experimenting with the adapter for use as a close-up adapter on other lenses as long as they don't have a protruding rear element.)

Both the lens and the adapter are somewhat scarce, it is fairly hard to find them together as a set. This has a plain PK mount (no 'A' contacts), so that means "M"anual mode and green-button metering on your digital body.

Reviews:

Vivitar Series 1 'Bokina' (tokina) 90mm F2.5 Macro Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Tokina 90mm f2.5 AT-X Macro Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

(Second review link is for Tokina-branded version that came out later which has a different build but same optical formula.)

Ok, so about that modification: So even though this is a stellar lens, it turns out on digital cameras it tends to suffer from veiling flare caused by internal reflections. That's the sort of "all over" contrast-lowering haze that doesn't seem to come from any particular source -- it tends to show up with any sort of bright background (just a plain overcast sky or bright window in the background will do it, even if it is all soft diffuse light) or frustratingly almost randomly in situations you wouldn't expect it. (A hood helps, but not enough.) I had a copy of this lens for quite a while without being aware of this problem, and then discovered it only when I received another copy and was wondering what the heck was going on with all the flare. Turns out the one I had originally had been modified already by someone else which seems to completely solve this problem so I never noticed it. So then, I figured out how to make the same mod more-or-less, and now we have an improved lens.

What it is...is in the rear element group there is an air gap with a black spacer ring. And even though it is of course painted matte black/gray, if left unmodified it creates internal reflections bouncing around -- the reflections from the back of the aperture blades aren't helping either as the problem seems worse as you stop down. (I'm assuming this a digital only problem because it is the light bouncing back from the sensor.) Anyway, the modification involves taking the rear group apart and adhering some non-reflective fuzzy black fabric on this ring (it is a black velvety material).

And the result -- it works great! Completely eliminates the problem. (Now of course if you shine a light straight into the lens you'll still get flare like with anything, but this gets rid of hazy veiling flare and actually improves sharpness all around even in shots where it is not noticeable.) So what I'm saying is that this particular modified copy of this lens will perform better than any other copy you are likely to run across. And even better than the later Tokina version which presumably has better coatings on the glass surfaces but still suffers from this flare problem to some extent (but less than the unmodified Vivitar version since it is constructed a little differently). However I saw no simple way to modify the Tokina version when I had one of those pass through my hands, so I sold it as the modified Vivitar version is actually better optically.

Follow all that? Good! Bottom-line: if you look at the rear element group, you'll see a bit of fuzzy black fabric in the rear group that may look slightly "homemade". But the result is a sharper lens with better contrast and resistance to flare.

Condition is very good all-around. Some normal marks, etc to the body, but no dents or dings. Everything operates perfectly. Focus action is smooth and uniform.

Glass is great, no scratches, no haze, no fog, no fungus. Since I took it apart anyway, I cleaned all the internal glass, so there is little to no internal dust. Aperture is clean and snappy. Glass on the macro adapter is also great -- no issues.

Comes with original "Vivitar Series 1" metal front cap (but it is not very tight -- could use a new felt ring) -- the other three are plastic.

Price is $240 + $20 shipping for USA (priority mail). I will consider shipping outside of US on a case-by-case basis if you have forum track record. International shipping cost is usually about the same for the slow, cheap way, but you may owe import duties depending on where you are, etc, or if you want an upgraded, faster option it will be at least twice as much.

Payment is to be via PayPal (I pay fees) shipped to your verified shipping address.

If you have an interest or have questions, please PM me.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
20 (USA)

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
If not as stated, let me know within 7 days of delivery and I'll remedy situation or accept return.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

09-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 38 (100%)
I would have liked to have seen a pic of the "bit of fuzzy black fabric in the rear group"...

Interesting.
09-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 63 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I would have liked to have seen a pic of the "bit of fuzzy black fabric in the rear group"...

Interesting.
You can see it in the pic of the rear of the lens...you can see the "unclean" edges. So what originally was a painted ring is now a fuzzy ring...understand it is between elements.

---------- Post added 09-23-15 at 01:53 PM ----------

sale pending!
09-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 38 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You can see it in the pic of the rear of the lens...you can see the "unclean" edges. So what originally was a painted ring is now a fuzzy ring...understand it is between elements.
Ah, yes, now I see it - thanks for the hint on how to see it.