Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
ExpoImaging Rogue FlashBender 2 Softbox Kit (Large)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
ExpoImaging Rogue FlashBender 2 Softbox Kit (Large)

Asking Price
32.00 CAD

Item Location
Laval (Canada)

Item Description
I have the rule not to hang onto stuff if I'm not going to be using it anytime soon. We'll, I've got a new lighting kit and I'm about to get back on the road for nine months. I think someone else can have fun with this handy light modifier.

It's great for walking around with a camera in one hand and flash another. Flash pictures in https://www.flickr.com/photos/comprock/sets/72157656545724440 are using this FlashBender with a Cactus RF60. Yes, I'm aware now that I could've come down a stop or half on the flash.

Soften and enlarge the light from your on-camera flash with the large Rogue FlashBender 2 Softbox Kit from ExpoImaging. This kit combines the large reflector with a diffusion panel that allows you to quickly convert it into a softbox. Also, this updated version uses a belt and buckle attachment method as well as more lightweight and flexible materials to cut down on weight by about 20%. Additionally, it packs flat for portability.

Reference B&H

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Local meetup, $6 CAD North America, ask for others

Shipping Services
Canada Post

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Return if DOA.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

---------- Post added Sep 29th, 2015 at 21:51 ----------

If not sold by Tuesday, October 13th, it'll be given away to a local photography group or put into storage for at least nine months while I'm working around the world.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
09-30-2015, 01:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
Pm sent.
09-30-2015, 04:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Original Poster
Sale pending
09-30-2015, 06:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
I should've waited a day. I just bought it new... darn

09-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@wissink, no worries. I don't see lighting modifiers on here all that often anyways. Truthfully, I was surprised this sold.
09-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by comprock Quote
@wissink, no worries. I don't see lighting modifiers on here all that often anyways. Truthfully, I was surprised this sold.
Ha! Nabbed it. I have a Gary Fong lightsphere (older model) but it is not portable in any of my bags so I thought about getting one of these and then BAM! One popped up! If I don't love it I'll contact wissink and pass along the option. Or if it totally blows me away perhaps I'll list my Fong LightSphere.
09-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Rogue FlashBender is good to work with. To get the most of soft lighting edges out of it, I used the wide angle diffuser on the Cactus RF-60 flash, put a diffuser cap on the flash, and then attached the FlashBender. Once you've done this and slightly underlit the shots, it works very, very well with a touch of brightening in post production.

My other lighting modifier is the Lastolite umbrella kit you see up for sale.

My expensive light modifier replacement is Chimera OB2 PRO Kit on top of a Manfrotto 5001B Nano Black Light Stand - 6.2' (1.9m). I found myself wanting more soft box coverage than the FlashBender, but more portability than the umbrella kit.

Below are recent out of the camera RAW to JPEGs. The shot of Drusus under the comforter is using the Chimera Octa Beauty 2 softbox. Drusus wearing the blue shirt is using the Lastolite umbrella in shoot-through positioning with a diffuser on the flash. Check the skin softness and shadows in the background. Whoa to me and the catchlight appears more pleasing too.

In using the Chimera Octa Beauty 2 softbox, I swear I don't have to do so much post production. I admit that I'm finally learning to blend my flash into the ambient, not overpower it, and use a grey card set for white balance.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by comprock; 09-30-2015 at 03:43 PM.
09-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
NIce shots. Thanks for the explanation. At somepoint I hope to get the Westcott Apollo 28, maybe the 50. Although I guess its the size of an umbrella when packed.

09-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@wissink, You're welcome.

In case you missed the Otakuthan photos above using the FlashBender, these are a sample below. They demonstrate my not blending the flash into ambient (should be lower by 0.5 to 1.5 stops) and not having enough of a light spread which results in harder edges.

Those Westcott's are a big step up from the FlashBender. They're also not so one-hand manageable which I require and can do with the Chimera Octa Beauty 2. If you're starting from scratch and know that flash is what you want to get into, then give one of the following Westcott kits a look.

* Westcott 28" Apollo with 8' Stand and Bracket Kit 2331 B&H
* Westcott Apollo Orb Duo Kit 2349 B&H Photo Video
* Westcott Bob and Dawn Davis Perfect Pair Kit 2028 B&H Photo
Attached Images