Item for Sale
Sigma 100-300 F4 - Price Drop - As is - Read Description Carefully

Asking Price
650.00 USD

Item Location
Phoenix, AZ (United States)

Item Description
For Sale:

An early version of the Sigma 100-300 F4 lens.
This is the lens with a great reputation for image sharpness, but it has a quirky side. See link below..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/288879-sigm...ml#post3161437

This lens is one of "those" lenses that is inconsistent at f4. I'm not a professional, but I do have some paying jobs that require confidence in my equipment. I can no longer use this lens with confidence, so I am selling it at what I consider below market value due to the back focusing issues.

It is important to note, the back focusing is not a 100% miss 100% of the time, but it does happen often enough to frustrate and aggravate me. The final straw was when I was forced to do a reshoot, thus costing me time and money as well. Luckily it was something I COULD reshoot, but I can't take any more chances. When it does perform, it is stellar, to the point I have acquired a newer version to replace this one.

I will note the focus has improved with my K3 as stated in the thread referenced, but I can't, in good conscience, be all praise and hyperbole. So here is you chance to get this out of production and rarely available lens for a little less.

This lens has spent the last 5 years with me in the field chasing critters as well as sports and portrait work. Focus is screw-drive, and fast. The glass is excellent, no cracks, dust, chips, fungus or scratches. It was last cleaned by CRIS about 1 year ago when I attempted to fix the back focus issues. I was not as lucky as others, in that CRIS told me they could not acquire parts. Others have actually had their lens' electronics replaced which resolved the issue.

There is some minor cosmetic wear and tear, but it is limited to minor smudges and scuffs on the lens hood, tripod mount and barrel as well as a little coating deterioration here and there. However, I would still classify it as cosmetically "Good". I will post a couple pictures as I get a chance, but this is not being sold as a museum piece.

I'm selling the lens as-is because I feel my description is accurate with enough information for a buyer to make an informed decision. You get a wonderfully performing fast zoom that rivals many primes at a price that takes in account it's not a perfect copy.

Keep in mind, not ALL camera/lens combos suffer from back focus with this lens, but MY K3 and K5iis did. So, if you feel you can't pass up an amazing lens at a bargain price and you are willing to accept its limitations shoot me a PM.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
Actual

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail Insured

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Lens being sold as-is. Please read item description carefully.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by nomadkng; 11-24-2015 at 09:23 AM.
10-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
Good luck with your sale, but I'm curious why you would have sent it to C.R.I.S. for service instead of Sigma. I had a 100-300mm F4 that needed a major repair a couple years ago, and Sigma did the work within a few days at a reasonable price. I've also had good results from Sigma's lens-to-body calibration.
10-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
Original Poster
CRIS is within an 30 minute drive of my house, so its local. I figured as an authorized Sigma repair facility, they could do anything Sigma could do without the hassle of shipping and a much quicker turnaround. Perhaps I was wrong, but I also don't have the luxury of a 2-3 week wait. As you know, no other lens for K mount can do what this lens does, so I use it frequently. It was a major dent in my schedule just having it out of my bag for 5 days.

But if that's the case, someone gets a great lens for enough a discount to cover a Sigma repair if they choose to go that route.
10-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It's kind of nice that C.R.I.S. is so close to you, but I would definitely recommend using Sigma's US headquarters in New York for any Sigma lens service. IMO, it's one of the best reasons to own a Sigma lens.

I've shipped lenses to them 3 or 4 times over the years for calibration or repair, and the turn-around time is usually about a week. Maybe 2 or 3 days to ship there, a day or two in service, and 2 or 3 days in transit back. I'm in Indiana, so I guess if somebody was on the west coast, the total turnaround time would probably be a bit longer.

I realize 3 or 4 instances is a small sample, but I've heard good things from some other people too.

10-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 70 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Good luck with your sale, but I'm curious why you would have sent it to C.R.I.S. for service instead of Sigma. I had a 100-300mm F4 that needed a major repair a couple years ago, and Sigma did the work within a few days at a reasonable price. I've also had good results from Sigma's lens-to-body calibration.
I wanted Sigma to look at my pre-DG version recently and they wouldn't touch it -- off the service list. Not sure if they are making a designation based solely on it being the earlier version but I doubt it because I think it is the same mechanically otherwise.
10-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I wanted Sigma to look at my pre-DG version recently and they wouldn't touch it -- off the service list. Not sure if they are making a designation based solely on it being the earlier version but I doubt it because I think it is the same mechanically otherwise.
Interesting. I believe the one I sent them was DG, but it was not the last version with the more modern looking exterior.
10-30-2015, 01:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
Sigma serviced an early version of the 100-300/4 as late as April 2015.

When I had my copy calibrated for a slight front-focus, I was told that they can only calibrate copies from a certain serial number onwards. Luckily, my copy was in the right range and is working perfectly now. Perhaps even Sigma service centres differ in their capabilities, depending on location / country?

Last edited by Class A; 10-30-2015 at 10:52 AM.
10-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Sigma serviced an early version of the 100-300/4 as late as April 2015.

When I had my copy calibrated for a slight front-focus, I was told that they can only calibrated copies from a certain serial number onwards. Luckily, my copy was in the right range and is working perfectly now. Perhaps even Sigma service centres differ in their capabilities, depending on location / country?
Mine had an apparent mechanical problem, albeit minor (tiny hitch in the zoom ring at one point). I mentioned that, but I also thought it was maybe a little decentered and was wondering about getting an adjustment and that's really all I wanted. They said they won't touch it, because they don't have parts and if they disassembled it in any way, they might not be able to put it back together again. This was Sigma NY a couple of months ago. I'm sure I gave the serial#, but they didn't say anything specifically about that. They just said this lens has been out of production for more than 10 years, is off the service list, and they literally will not touch it. (Do you happen to know the serial# cutoff?)
10-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Do you happen to know the serial# cutoff?)
No, sorry, I don't. I was never told, they just confirmed that they could service my lens, when I gave them the serial number.
10-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

They just said this lens has been out of production for more than 10 years, is off the service list, and they literally will not touch it. (Do you happen to know the serial# cutoff?)
Sigma US has been pretty responsive when I've contacted them in the past. It may be possible to just ask them what the cut-off is.
10-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Sigma US has been pretty responsive when I've contacted them in the past. It may be possible to just ask them what the cut-off is.
Yes, they were very responsive in telling me I could not send them the lens, and neither should I send it to any other authorized Sigma repair facility. And then repeated it when I said, "Yeah, but couldn't you just evaluate it?" Nope, will not touch it.
10-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, they were very responsive in telling me I could not send them the lens, and neither should I send it to any other authorized Sigma repair facility. And then repeated it when I said, "Yeah, but couldn't you just evaluate it?" Nope, will not touch it.
I guess they could have taken it and then kept you in the dark for weeks or months, like some other repair shops have been known to do...
10-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
Original Poster
Pics added. Note the focus and zoom rings are still intact and very well cared for. Aside from the small scuffs and scrapes expected on a 10+ year lens, in very good shape and excellent working order.

Please keep in mind, the back focus issues are hit and miss, it is still very useable, especially if the subject is well isolated on a plain background. However, a chain link fence or strong contrasting shadows or textures tends to catch the lens' eye. AFC has helped reduce the misses and a technique of multiple focus attempts by half press, if I have the time, also reduces the miss rate.

A couple photos taken with this lens at Bearizona

Last edited by nomadkng; 11-09-2015 at 08:46 PM.
11-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
Good luck with the sale @Nomadkng. The straight talking is really commendable after the puffery one so often sees in online ads.
11-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Please keep in mind, the back focus issues are hit and miss, it is still very useable, especially if the subject is well isolated on a plain background. However, a chain link fence or strong contrasting shadows or textures tends to catch the lens' eye. AFC has helped reduce the misses and a technique of multiple focus attempts by half press, if I have the time, also reduces the miss rate.
Sounds like regular AF woes for which the camera (not the lens) is to blame.

Your lens copy may still have BF issues, if your respective description is accurate, but if the camera fails to lock on the proper target, there is nothing the lens can do about it.