Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Feedback Score: 117 (100%)
Original Poster
The converter's barrel twists and will extend to almost double in length. So attach the lens (A 50MM is best but you might find it easier to start with a lens from 90-135mm range- not a zoom) and focus the lens manually to infinity. Then extend the vivitar barrel out as far as it will go. Pick a subject and just slowly move the camera and lens assembly toward the subject. Mine is packed and gone now so I can't test it but if memorey serves, with a 50mm attached, the focus distance is around 5 inches.

It's really that simple to use as a macro unit.

06-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 177 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The converter's barrel twists and will extend to almost double in length. So attach the lens (A 50MM is best but you might find it easier to start with a lens from 90-135mm range- not a zoom) and focus the lens manually to infinity. Then extend the vivitar barrel out as far as it will go. Pick a subject and just slowly move the camera and lens assembly toward the subject. Mine is packed and gone now so I can't test it but if memorey serves, with a 50mm attached, the focus distance is around 5 inches.

It's really that simple to use as a macro unit.
Hope you all don't mind more questions as this adapter interest many including me who are new to macro. How about SR focal length? Say if I have my FA 50 f/1.4 mounted with the adapter, do I dial in focal length as 100mm? And do I dial in a different focal length if I turn the adapter from one end to the other in extending the adapter to the full length?

I got a similar Kenko Teleplus KAX 2x Macro Adapter that has all the electrical contacts. And they look very much the same in appearance as the Vivitar 2x macro with electrical contacts. I am yet to test Kenko teleplus 2x macro on my 50mm.
06-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Feedback Score: 117 (100%)
Original Poster
Sorry for the slow replies. I just drove from Charlottetown to Toronto (1700 Kms). Yes dial in 100mm and leave it there. Whether the barrel is fully extended for macro shooting or pulled back for normal 2x use, it doubles the focal length of the lens attached.