Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 41 (100%)
Panasonic Lumix ZS50 / TZ70 (same model, different names)

Panasonic Lumix ZS50

$289 USD

Purchased this camera new from Amazon this past summer. I was doing a lot of travelling (flying), and I was limited by carry-on restrictions, so I had to shelve my DSLR for a few months. Of course I needed a camera, and no longer being a clueless tourist photographer, there are certain things I wanted in a travel camera:

- RAW capability
- TRUE pocketability
- Superzoom range (24mm - 720mm FF equivalent, 16mm - 480mm in APSC terms)
- Built-in wifi [for off-camera control + easy photo transmission]
- Electronic viewfinder.

I settled for the Panasonic ZS50.

At this point in time I am unsure if I will be doing any travelling now or in the near future, so instead of letting this camera sit and grow stale on my shelf, I thought someone here on PF might be looking for a solid travel cam.

You can search engine up some reviews of this cam, and they all point to a great performer.

Shutter count is less than a thousand (Panasonic apparently doesn't make this a thing you can easily find, but I'm just going off of the number of pictures I have saved [around 350] and doubling it to account for deleted pics, videos, etc). This camera still has a long life ahead of it.

Package comes with:

- Panasonic Lumix ZS50
- Original battery
- 2x third party batteries (Wasabi) + travel charger
- PC cable (THAT ALSO CHARGES THE BATTERY WHILE IT'S IN THE CAMERA!!!!! THIS IS AMAZING)
- Soft camera case that can accommodate the camera + spare batteries
- Wrist strap
- Original box + papers + CD

Pictures are here.

My standard disclaimer:

All prices are in US dollars. Shipping will be via. Canada Post (which continues on as USPS in the US). I will cover the shipping and PayPal fee. Please note that I will not list this as a gift or skimp on the declared value for insurance purposes, so please keep that in mind if you are wary of potential duties incurred from this purchase. Unless otherwise told, I will be shipping your order to the main address tied to your PayPal account.

PayPal will be the method of money exchange. I will also accept email money transfers from Canadian buyers with established feedback on these forums. I am located in the Vancouver area of BC, Canada, so if you're in the area I would not mind meeting up locally and doing a cash exchange.

No returns from people with < 3 feedback, so read descriptions carefully and please ask any and all questions before pulling the trigger, but if you have an issue with the item that you have received, message me and let's chat about it to work something out. For everyone else, I'll accept returns within 7 days of receiving the item, you pay shipping.

Thank you for looking. Have a good day. :3

Attached Images

Last edited by EarlVonTapia; 11-16-2015 at 05:31 PM.
11-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Bump

In light of this camera's price as a new item, I've decided to just cover the shipping and paypal fee. What you see is what you pay!
11-20-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Bump!

I didn't really expect this to get much interest here, what with it being a non-Pentax camera, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Open to offers that ARE NOT DUMB.
11-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
Hi,
Sounds like it was a good choice for a travel camera.
Did it have any short comings or would you buy it again for travel?
I noticed you said you "settled for the Panasonic ZS50".
Would that be compared to another travel camera? Or your DSLR?
Thank you,
Walter

Last edited by Parallax; 11-21-2015 at 07:35 PM.
11-23-2015, 02:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iquest35 Quote
Hi,
Sounds like it was a good choice for a travel camera.
Did it have any short comings or would you buy it again for travel?
I noticed you said you "settled for the Panasonic ZS50".
Would that be compared to another travel camera? Or your DSLR?
Thank you,
Walter
I replied to Walter via. PM, but I also wanted to post a bit of my reply in regards to this camera's "shortcomings":

QuoteQuote:
The shortcomings of the camera were few, but there were definitely some there:

- The raw files are in .RW2 format. It's not that big of a deal, it just means there is another step involved in post-processing, namely using another program (I used Faststone Image viewer) to change the RW2 files into 16 bit TIFF files before importing into Lightroom. Also, Lightroom does not have profile corrections for this camera. None of this matters if you will be shooting JPG.
- On the note about RAW files, it seems that the camera has some algorithm that has built-in distortion correction, because at the widest focal length, there is quite a bit of barrel distortion in the RAW file that requires at least a +50 adjustment in distortion correction. Again, just another step. It only seems to affect the widest focal length. At longer focal lengths there is minimal to no distortion. And again, if you're a JPG shooter, this doesn't matter.
- The camera is solid overall, but the lens barrel is just plastic. I remember some old Sony digi-cams I had that had metal lens barrels, no idea why Panasonic didn't do that for this model, but metal is kind of more reassuring for durability purposes. But it was never a problem, and for normal travel shooting though, it's just fine.
- I used to have a different camera case than the one I am packaging with this camera, and because the on/off button on this camera is in an easy to press location, there were a couple of times that the camera turned on while I was trying to put it into its pouch (as soon as the camera turns on, the lens barrel extends!). Kind of scary, but I always managed to pull the camera out before the lens barrel extended. I ditched that case and got a different one that allows a person to just "drop in/pull out" the camera from the pouch via. the wrist strap, so there's no danger of even accidentally pressing the button and turning the camera on while it's in the pouch.

Hmm, those are the only real shortcomings I can think of. Obviously it would be great if it had a bigger sensor, tilt screen etc. but for what I paid for it new, and the features it had, it was really the best in its class.
Bumping this thread. I've got a few offers, but I wanted to sleep on them, so in the meantime I'll just bump this so others may see it.

^_^

EDIT: SOOOOOLD!!!!!

Last edited by EarlVonTapia; 11-23-2015 at 03:28 PM.