PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
FS: Sigma 24mm f2.8 AF Super Wide II Macro Lens

Asking Price
200.00 USD

Item Location
Sunnyvale (United States)

Item Description
Up for sale is a Sigma 24mm f2.8 AF Super Wide II Macro (1:4) Lens in amazing condition! There is a small crack on the distance scale window, but other than that, the lens looks great! Performance is similar to the SMC DA 21mm Limited, but in a longer focal length equivalent to 36mm. AF is as fast if not faster than the DA 21, close focusing is better, and I think the distortion isn't quite as funky. Also, this lens is full frame and film compatible!

I'm selling because I need to fund a purchase for the Sigma 35mm f1.4 which will be my one lens

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
10.00 for US, Please contact me for international shipping quotes

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
Returns accepted within 3 days upon receiving the item. Buyer must pay for return shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by Dirtistasty2; 11-20-2015 at 10:39 PM.
11-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 37 (100%)
Original Poster
Monday bump!
11-26-2015, 12:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
I would have bought it if it hadn't been so that I've already got myself a copy a few months ago. I was looking for a 24mm full frame autofocus lens as part of filling wholes in my lens line in preparation for the Pentax FF (specifically to fill the whole between my Sigma 21mm f1.8 and my Pentax-FA 28mm f2.8). There aren't many options, The FA*24mm is pricy, quite big and have somewhat divergent reviews, and there are other *-lenses I wanted to put the money on. The Sigma ultra-wide II design were first used on a manual focus versions, and sold in large numbers (as well as its 28mm sibling), and has fairly positive reviews. For a short period Sigma turned both of these lenses into autofocus lenses, but the much shorter production period makes them quite rare compared to the manual focus equivalent. I've used it now on the K-3 and the K-5, and on film with the MZ-S, and the autofocus is fast. It behaves well optically both on APS-C and film. And it is a very compact and well built lens. Later Sigma designs became bulkier and more plastic. Can only recommend it...especially if you shoot film or are waiting for the FF Pentax.
11-26-2015, 04:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Great lens indeed. My copy has slick shiny metal body, this one looks like the metal version with coating. Are they exactly the same or there are any differences between them ?

11-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 61 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Great lens indeed.
I, too, am a member of the cult.
11-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! All pms replied to.

Great lens indeed. My copy has slick shiny metal body, this one looks like the metal version with coating. Are they exactly the same or there are any differences between them ?
Ive never seen the AF version in shiny black! I thought only the manual focus one is like that? This is the second lens I've had and they both had the rubber coating over the metal body.
11-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtistasty2 Quote
Ive never seen the AF version in shiny black! I thought only the manual focus one is like that? This is the second lens I've had and they both had the rubber coating over the metal body.
Apparently they do come in at least two versions. My shiny black metal body version , with strip of rubber as a focusing (same as yours) exhibit a problem when focusing with contrast detection (Pentax K-01) by severe front focusing. It works great on Phase detection bodies ( film and digital).

I was wondering how the matte/ coated metal body version works on contrast detection digital bodies (K-01 or Live View on others) - can you check with your copy in Live view ?

11-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Apparently they do come in at least two versions. My shiny black metal body version , with strip of rubber as a focusing (same as yours) exhibit a problem when focusing with contrast detection (Pentax K-01) by severe front focusing. It works great on Phase detection bodies ( film and digital).

I was wondering how the matte/ coated metal body version works on contrast detection digital bodies (K-01 or Live View on others) - can you check with your copy in Live view ?
Great question! Never knew to check this, but it does seem to front focus a little bit in live view at or near the minimum close focus distance where maximum magnification occurs. Below is a sample image. I focused on the large "H" in CHICHIBU and it would constantly focus between the H and C. Once I move away a few inches or use phase detection AF, the problem goes away and it focuses dead on.

11-27-2015, 01:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great question! Never knew to check this, but it does seem to front focus a little bit in live view at or near the minimum close focus distance where maximum magnification occurs. Below is a sample image. I focused on the large "H" in CHICHIBU and it would constantly focus between the H and C. Once I move away a few inches or use phase detection AF, the problem goes away and it focuses dead on.
Thanks ! Sounds kinda similar to mine - would be interesting to hear your result in live view at f2.8 and near infinity. this is where I notice the most inaccuracy , so only phase detection AF is way to go for me.
12-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, been on holiday. I'll test out infinity soon!
12-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sorry, been on holiday. I'll test out infinity soon!
thanks - looking forward to hearing your conclusion. Especially how AF in liveview works with this lens. My copy front focuses badly.. in phase detection focusing is extremely fast and accurate. Either case whoever buys this lens will not be disappointed for sure
12-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks - looking forward to hearing your conclusion. Especially how AF in liveview works with this lens. My copy front focuses badly.. in phase detection focusing is extremely fast and accurate. Either case whoever buys this lens will not be disappointed for sure
Finally found some time to take it outside today! Looks like focus at or near infinity with live view is accurate with this copy and matches the phase detection result.
12-05-2015, 03:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Finally found some time to take it outside today! Looks like focus at or near infinity with live view is accurate with this copy and matches the phase detection result.
thanks for reporting back! This then proves that these sigmas has to be different electronically because my shiny-metal-bodied copy would not focus accurately in liveview and works good only in phase detection AF mode.

Someone will grab a nice bargain here !
12-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To the top!
01-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
to the top!