Sigma 8mm Circular Fisheye

Asking Price
150.00 USD

Item Location
Toronto (Canada)

Item Description

Sigma 8mm Circular Fisheye for Pentax
$150

A very rare lens from my collection of fisheyes. I see a lot of Rokinon 8mm’s up for sale, but this manual-focus Sigma can take (internal) filters and is built for full-frame cameras. Glass is flawless and the fisheye distortion is consistent across the frame (unlike the Samyang/Rokinon). Very good for making 4-shot, full-spherical panoramas, or capturing the whole sky at once on a full-frame camera.

I don't have the original box, but I will pack it well and include a Pentax lens bag (for the FA50, which fits it nicely).

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
U.S, U.K, Canada, Australia

Shipping Charge
Free for Canada, +$10 for USA, UK & Austraila (and NZ) ask for quote

Shipping Services
Canada Post

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

01-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
You seem to have a lot of insight into fisheye's.
I use the Samyang 8mm for 360 by 180 panos on my K3. I may be interested in this to replace that lens. The end result is a virtual tour. How would this lens differ?

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 01-02-2016 at 04:46 PM.
01-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 84 (100%)
Same boat as RockvilleBob. I have the Rokinon version though.
01-02-2016, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 60 (100%)
Original Poster
Since you asked, here is the best visual to explain the difference between a "traditional" circular fisheye (equisolid distortion) and the Samyang/ Rokinon/ Polar/ Bower fisheye ("stereographic" distortion):

Click here for a Flash "movie" where you can click and drag to switch between the Sigma 8mm, Samyang 8mm, Nikkor 10.5mm, and the Tokina version of our Pentax 10-17mm.

The Samyang "pinches" the center to drag out the edges a bit, and some automatic pano stitching applications have trouble un-distorting this if they expect a traditionalm 8mm circular fish. The result could be slightly wavy lines that should be straight, even though I think the latest versions of apps like Hugin and Autopano have the Samyang in their databases.

Aside from that, put the Samyang on a full-frame camera and you will see that nifty plastic hood in every shot (unless you cut it off like some pano-diehards do), while the Sigma has been designed for 135 frames from the outset.

(ahem)
Anyone who has been bored by this, just ignore us lens geeks and buy this rarity, before I think better of it and raise the price!

Last edited by panoguy; 01-02-2016 at 06:08 PM.