PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma Art 18-35mm f/1.8 + USB Dock

Asking Price
600.00 USD

Item Location
Houston, TX (United States)

Item Description
The sale of this lens marks the end of an era for me. This lens taught me depth of field, bokeh shots, etc. It was the first fast lens I used on a regular basis. I've taken thousands of shots with it. I've come to prefer the FA31 in all aspects of lensing so it is time for me to move on.

Condition:
I carried this lens everywhere with me for nearly 2 years and but took great care of it. Cosmetically, the only place you'll find anything of notice is some minor wear on the zoom ring. The focus ring is nearly spotless. There are no dings or scratches anywhere else on the lens. The front element is pristine, having been kept under UV filter its entire life. Back element is similarly clear, since this lens stayed on the camera and when it went into the bag, it did so front down and the back was immediately covered with a cap.

The lens hood probably is the most worn. It's been turned around a number of times but it still works and there's no issues with it. There's a couple marks on the outer edges of it, "battle damage" if you will..

The lens has never been dropped or otherwise fallen. I took as good of care with it as one can take of a lens that's traveled nearly 100,000 miles and taken some 12,000 shots.

Included Accessories:
Original box, Hoya UV filter, original lens hood, original lens cap. I have the warranty card as well and can provide you with proof of purchase (Jul 2014).

The photos show a Pentax back cap. People seem to hate the Sigma back cap, which I do have, so I will give you your choice of the original one (not in photos) or a genuine Pentax one.

This bundle also includes Sigma USB dock for fine tuning and calibration. I'm also tossing in an Op/Tech lens hood sleeve. It does fit over the hood but it's a bit of a snug fit. I used it mostly for protection when storing the lens.

Performance:
I'm sure you have only one question about this lens: how is the autofocus performance? I have a thread about this issue, which you may have read. Some of my comments in there are not so positive. Let me summarize it this way:
  • Before I got the dock, I believed to have a perfect copy of the lens. It took me quite a time to see the issues.
  • I calibrated it and have seen sporadic misfires. I question the quality of my calibration. Before shipping it, I give you the option of keeping my adjustments or asking me to wipe it clean and reset to factory defaults.
  • You can only see the lack of focus if you pixel peep. For the most part, it produces really sharp images that look perfectly focused at 30-50% viewing size or so. It may be the best this lens is truly capable of under PDAF.
  • CDAF autofocus seems to be perfect, although I rarely used it.
  • Before calibrating my FA31, I saw a number of misfocuses with that lens and I still see them below f/2.8 with my K-5IIs, so the camera itself may have a role in the issues.
I have thousands of photos I've taken with this lens. If you're serious about the lens and want to discuss its AF performance before purchasing, I am happy to do so. See also the return policy.

Filters:
I also have a whole bunch of filters available that fit the lens. If you want one or all of those, I'm willing to make a deal. The more filters you want, the more I'm willing to deal. (The filters thread is over here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/312042-sal...h-grad-nd.html)

Trades:
I am willing to accept part (or all) of the purchase price in trade. Things I'd be willing to deal for:
Pentax FA43 f/1.9 Limited
Pentax FA*24 f/2
Pentax DA21 f/3.2 (HD or SMC)
Pentax DA15 f/4 (SMC greatly preferred)

Those are ranked in order of preference, with the FA43 being my #1 interest head and shoulders above all else. I'm not interested in anything but the above lenses, thank you.

Photos:
I'm nearly incompetent with a cell phone camera (my P&S is having issues). If you want better photos, I can take some with the SLR.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling or Trading

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
$5 USD for domestic. This lens is quite heavy so I'm only subsidizing the cost for shipping. For worldwide shipping, I will cover what it would cost me to send the lens domestically (California delivery will be the computed cost). You will be responsible for everything over that. I'll compute the cost before the final sale, but given that I have to pack everything up to get that cost, I'd prefer you be really serious about the lens and not just casually ask "What's it cost to send to my country?"

Shipping Services
USPS, UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
I'll give you a trial period on this lens. Let's say 2 weeks? If you find the focus to be maddening, I'll let you send it back for a refund minus actual shipping charges. You pay return freight.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by MadMathMind; 01-18-2016 at 12:57 PM.