Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 31 (100%)
Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8

I know this is a long shot, but you never know unless you ask, so I was wondering if anyone in north America would be willing to part with their A* 135/1.8. I used to have one of these about 25 years ago that was stolen along with a couple of other lenses and my spare body at the time.

I've often thought over the years of replacing it, and for nostalgic reasons I thought I might look into trying to acquire one of these for use with one of my current full frame cameras (LX, PZ1 or MZ-S) instead of waiting the last couple of weeks for the new digital full frame. Clean cosmetics would be nice but they are not as important as the mechanicals which ideally should be in good shape with a smooth focus, oil free aperture blades and good solid clicks on the aperture ring. The optics should also be clear and clean with no fungus, haze or other blemishes. The original hood would also be nice, but is not a necessity as I seem to remember it wasn't all that effective anyway.

02-02-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
There is one listed on eBay in Australia. Been listed for nearly 8 months. Asking a small fortune for it (AUD$4000)
02-03-2016, 12:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
The Samyang 135/2 goes for 480 EUR brand new with warranty and is optically leagues better than the A*. So I think it is quite logical that nobody buys a used A* at a four digit price.
Compared realistically a fair price for the A* in mint condition would be around 230 EUR (-30-50% for much lesser performance and -25-35% for being used without any warranty).

Private nostalgia is a different aspect, though.

Test out the Samyang. I firmly believe there are no lenses on the market which clearly outperform it in the <$2,000 range for any mount.
02-03-2016, 12:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adorama has one in their used dept. rated E (excellent) for $1839.

02-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Test out the Samyang. I firmly believe there are no lenses on the market which clearly outperform it in the <$2,000 range for any mount.
I was actually toying with the idea of trying out the Samyang, it would certainly be much easier on the wallet. It would be nice to see a direct comparison of the two lenses, kind of like I've seen between the Samyang and the Canon 135, as I'm sure my fond memories of shooting with the A* might be a bit tainted by the passage of time.

Except for the 2 1/2 stops of vignetting at the longer focus distances on full frame, (and I don't see myself shooting distant landscapes very often with this lens), the Samyang has gotten some really good reviews. I have a couple of other Samyang lenses and I have been quite happy with them. The only area where I've heard it might fall short at all, might be long term durability. I guess that I've been wanting to replace the A* 135 lens for so long that I keep thinking that anything else would be just 'settling', but I might have to rethink this a bit in this case.
02-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
I was actually toying with the idea of trying out the Samyang, it would certainly be much easier on the wallet. It would be nice to see a direct comparison of the two lenses, kind of like I've seen between the Samyang and the Canon 135, as I'm sure my fond memories of shooting with the A* might be a bit tainted by the passage of time.
There are only very few full res 24 MPx pictures from the A*135 available and the few I know are actually not good at all.

I had tested the Samyang for 14 days and it was without actual weakness. AS I said it optically outperformed or equalled anything else I ever owned or tested. I have 135L on Canon and if the Samyang was available with autofocus the 135L would be sold within a day. The EF135 is very good already.
Try it.

The only area where I've heard it might fall short at all, might be long term durability.

For the price of it you can afford 3-4 Samyangs in a row. I am convinced they last long enough.
02-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 24 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote
Adorama has one in their used dept. rated E (excellent) for $1839.
That's a pretty good price coming from Adorama.

---------- Post added 02-13-2016 at 09:51 AM ----------

as I'm sure my fond memories of shooting with the A* might be a bit tainted by the passage of time.
Maybe, but I sure love shooting with my 135/1.8. It's art glass, I don't look for tack sharp images when shooting at 1.8, I look for images that few others can create.

02-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 61 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
That's a pretty good price coming from Adorama.
Agree. In any case, mine is NFS.

Last edited by dadipentak; 02-13-2016 at 10:34 AM.