Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
KatzEye Focus Screen for K-3 (K-3, K-5, K-5II, K-7, K-30, K-50, K-500), New or LN

I am looking for a genuine KatzEye focus screen for the K-3, either new (unused) or in like-new condition.

I am looking for a KatzEye split-image focus screen that will fit a K-3 without shimming (etc.).

[I believe that the K-3, K-5, K-5II, K-7, K-30, K-50, and K-500 all use the same screen.]

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by fwcetus; 04-05-2016 at 04:14 PM.
04-07-2016, 06:25 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
I'm not sure that KatzEye made a screen to fit a K3. I have one of their screens in my K5, but as I recall, it is not supposed to fit a K3.

FYI: I tracked down a post her on PF my TaiChiTom posted Nov 9, 2013 that addressed the question of a KatzEye screen for a K3. There are many comments and replies, including several that say the KatzEye offers no significant advantage over the stock K3 screen. Also, there are some indications that a KE screen alters the light meter reading and may cause incorrect exposure. As to the compatibility of a K5 screen on a K3, the fact that Ricoh lists exactly the same screens (=same stock numbers) for K5 and K3 suggests the size, registration and mounting frame are all identical.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-07-2016 at 06:47 AM.
04-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I'm not sure that KatzEye made a screen to fit a K3. I have one of their screens in my K5, but as I recall, it is not supposed to fit a K3. FYI: I tracked down a post her on PF my TaiChiTom posted Nov 9, 2013 that addressed the question of a KatzEye screen for a K3. There are many comments and replies, including several that say the KatzEye offers no significant advantage over the stock K3 screen. Also, there are some indications that a KE screen alters the light meter reading and may cause incorrect exposure. As to the compatibility of a K5 screen on a K3, the fact that Ricoh lists exactly the same screens (=same stock numbers) for K5 and K3 suggests the size, registration and mounting frame are all identical.
Hi, WPRESTO -- thanks for your reply.

First, in regard to compatibility, one of the last functioning web archives for the KatzEye site on the Internet Wayback Machine ( Pentax DSLR Models -- and -- KatzEye™ Focusing Screen for the Pentax® K-3, K-5, K-5II, K-7, K-30, K-50 & K-500 ) lists the KatzEye models for various Pentax DSLR's, and one of them is "KatzEye™ Focusing Screen for the Pentax® K-3, K-5, K-5II, K-7, K-30, K-50 & K-500 Price: $105.00". So, between that and the Pentax screens compatibility that you noted, I think a K-5 screen would fit a K-3 body OK.

Then, as for the metering problems, I have followed the various threads on PF about focus screen replacements, and I agree that a KatzEye screen is a compromise. However, at least on my K20D, a KatzEye screen can be a workable solution (better focusing, without serious metering issues except for spot metering).

Thanks again for your input.

Last edited by fwcetus; 04-07-2016 at 02:14 PM.
04-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI: Another site I visited that discussed CaNikon screens suggests that any screen with something at the center - split-image or microprism - will give best exposure results with old-fashioned center-weighted rather than either spot of matrix. I personally prefer an all-microprism spot at center, as that's what I learned to use way back. The only way to get one is a Chinese-modified EOS screen (www.focusingscreen.com), and I have a little trepidation about ordering and installing.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-07-2016 at 02:16 PM.
04-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FYI: Another site I visited that discussed CaNikon screens suggests that any screen with something at the center - split-image or microprism - will give best exposure results with old-fashioned center-weighted rather than either spot of matrix. I personally prefer an all-microprism spot at center, as that's what I learned to use way back. The only way to get one is a Chinese-modified EOS screen (Focusing Screen), and I have a little trepidation about ordering and installing.
Yes, i do believe that good ol'-fashioned center-weighted metering is the least affected.

I have tended to shy away from the focusingscreen.com screens, primarily because of the needed shimming. [I'm not saying that they can't be adjusted to work well, but I'm just not interested in the fiddling involved.]

I've had good luck with KatzEye screens for my *ist-DS and for my K20D, so I just wanted to go the same route for my K-3.

Unfortunately, I had no knowledge of that KatzEye "final run" (until too late), or I would have ordered some screens back then, before KatzEye shut down totally.

So, I'm hoping someone may have an extra one, either in LN shape, or maybe even a new one from that "final run".
04-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll think hard about the KatzEye in my K5 as it has not been as useful for my purposes as I'd hoped. If I decide to let it go, I'll send a PM.
04-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bumpety-bump...

04-16-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ka-Bump...
04-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Still hoping . . .
04-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmm ???
04-29-2016, 06:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone...?
05-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 61 (100%)
Fred, I too was looking for a KatzEye screen for my K-3 - didn't realize Rachael closed it down. I went ahead and got one from FocusingScreen.com. Just installed it about an hour ago. Didn't use any shims - focusing seems to be spot-on. Only issue I had was metering - I had always used spot metering - seriously over-exposed with the new split-image screen (I got the one identified as K3 for the K-3 - it's a Nikon K3 screen) so I switched to center-weighted - all works fine. Just sharing my experience. Good luck with your search.
05-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Fred, I too was looking for a KatzEye screen for my K-3 - didn't realize Rachael closed it down. I went ahead and got one from FocusingScreen.com. Just installed it about an hour ago. Didn't use any shims - focusing seems to be spot-on. Only issue I had was metering - I had always used spot metering - seriously over-exposed with the new split-image screen (I got the one identified as K3 for the K-3 - it's a Nikon K3 screen) so I switched to center-weighted - all works fine. Just sharing my experience. Good luck with your search.
Hi, Chip. Thanks for your comments.

I am pleased that your Nikon K3 did not need shimming -- perhaps it has the same thickness as a Pentax screen (???), and perhaps different from a Canon screen (???).

My experiences with split-screen DSLR metering (on a KatzEye for a K20D, and earlier for one on an *ist-DS) match yours. Spot metering is gone, but center-weighted works pretty close to "normal" (or as close to "normal" as green-button metering ever gets).

Thanks for your FocusingScreen.com report -- maybe I should revisit that web site. I'm possibly capable of shimming if needed, but, now that I'm a "bit" older than I used to be (now that I'm "older than dirt"), my vision (more than any manual dexterity shortcoming) might make shimming an error-prone process -- for me, just getting a screen installed (without any shimming) would be a bona fide achievement.

Last edited by fwcetus; 05-01-2016 at 08:45 PM.
05-02-2016, 02:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
oh well Fred, I will wait for your report (does yoga enhance old-age eyesight?).
The advantage of age-related eyesight is that even with the best lenses, DFA or plain SMC, is that it still translates to blurry IQ more often than desirable!
05-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 148 (99%)
I have tried many different types MF screens, including the Katzeye split screen, cheaper split screen from eBay, Canon E-es screen from focusingscreenc.om, and lately a very interesting screen from a Chinese ebayer called "big-eye" split screen.

1. For Katzeye, I used the one has "brightness enhancing coating" -- something like that. It works well for 50mm and longer lens. For wide lens, everything is too small in the split screen for accurate focusing. E-es is much better.
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I have tended to shy away from the focusingscreen.com screens, primarily because of the needed shimming.
I found it is very nice that focuingscreen.com provides shims in the package. The KE screens I bought did not have one but both actually needed one. I ended up using clear tape on the edges which was a pain in ...
2. cheaper split screens from eBay work almost as good as KE ones. they all need shimming, but my KE one also needed. A little harder to install because they are not necessary cut very precisely, but all fit eventually.
3. E-es screen works best for fast focusing. Just trust your eye, and don't have to worry about finding a line alignment in the split screen. I have used it successfully with Samyang 85/1.4 to chase moving kids. Great for wide lens also. Only issue is it makes VF darker if lens is slower.
4. The interesting "big-eye" split screen. The split circle is so big in the screen (1/3 area?) that I almost wanted to laugh at first, but soon fall in love with it. Much easier to find something for alignment, and it much brighter. Even with F 8 lens, both sides are bright.

I never found metering a big issue. Auto exposure form camera is just a suggestion anyway. focusing screens do affect metering but I simply adjust my judgment.

Back to your topic, I will recommend the "big-eye" or just cheaper split screen from eBay. $20-30. worth trying if you can not find a KE screen.