PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Super smooth focus modded Helios 44-m 58mm f/2 prime lens Biotar clone

Asking Price
110.00 USD

Item Location
Pennsylvania (United States)

Item Description
A Helios 44-M for over $100 I must be joking, you say! Why, I could order one from Russia for 50 bucks!

Of course, there is a reason I am selling this lens for significantly more than the typical ebay sellers do. Here's why:

These Soviet lenses were not made great mechanical standards. Rather than machine to the tight tolerances that Japanese and Western manufacturers do, Soviet and East German lens manufacturers typically manufactured to poor tolerances and relied on liberal quantities of very low quality grease to mask the problems.

If you find a genuine Eastern European lens that hasn't been worked on, typically this grease has broken down, leaving you with oily blades and a barely functional helical. The Eastern European eBay sellers typically open up the helical, slap on a new coat of grease, reassemble and call it a day. None of the original degraded grease is removed from the helical, the aperture ring, or other areas.

The other problem with the Eastern European lenses is that they are typically military surplus or otherwise heavily used, and more often than not have tons of cleaning marks, scratches, and debris in the lens.

So how is this lens different?

Well, for starters, it's a Western Market lens, removed from a camera sold in the US, and it was very lightly used, so its optics are in fantastic condition. No scratches, haze, or fungus.

Secondly, I fully disassembled the lens down to indiividual parts and cleaned them in an ultrasonic bath, completely removing all tracces of the original grease.

Thirdly, I re-lapped the helical. As is typical of these lenses, once what was left of the original grease was removed, the tolerances on this helical were so bad that it wouldn't even turn when reassembled. I hand lapped all the surfaces using a special compound to remove all the high spots in the helical thread, rendering them completely smooth. Once completed, even with zero lubricant, the helical threads glided past each other like a skate over ice.

Finally, I relubricated the helical with a modern teflon-containing grease, for a superbly damped, smooth feel.

I guarantee that you will never find another sample of this lens that is as smooth or clean on the interior as this one.

As far as the overall condition of the lens goes, there is some slight wear to the paint on one side of the barrel and some light mounting wear. Everything else (glass, aperture, etc.) is perfect. And hey, it's still waaaaay cheaper than a Biotar

As always, due to the huge volume of PMs I get, if you are interested in this lens, please contact me via the email link in my profile!

And since everyone loves cat pictures, here's a picture of mine just taken with this very lens:

And a 100% crop for all you pixel peepers (right click and click "view image" to avoid forum resizing):

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Actual shipping cost.

Shipping Services
USPS Priority

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Item may only be returned if arriving in damaged/DOA condition.

Buyer pays return shopping unless previously arranged with seller.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

07-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
does this fit the K3 camera? It does not need a pin or anything removed doe it?
07-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorpops Quote
does this fit the K3 camera? It does not need a pin or anything removed doe it?
To use on a K3 (or any Pentax DSLR), you just need an M42 to K adapter. Personally, I recommend always using a Pentax brand adapter, but there are many 3rd market adapters available. Just be sure to buy one without a flange if you intend to focus to infinity. This version of lens has a A-M stop down switch, so you do not need to work on the pin mechanism.

Pentax Mount Adapter K (M42 Adapter) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
07-15-2016, 01:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
Hi,
How are my two lens that were sent to you for silvering, going?
Regards.

07-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
Brian I have sent a PM for purchase of this lens. Use my paypal account. Thanks