Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
SMC K 28mm f/2.0 [Zeiss 'Distagon'/'Hollywood'] lens [w/ optional dedicated hood]

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC K 28mm F/2.0 [Zeiss 'Distagon'/'Hollywood'] lens [w/ optional dedicated hood]

Asking Price
899.00 USD

Item Location
Massachusetts (United States)

Item Description

Looking for another good home is this SMC Pentax K 28mm F/2.0 full-frame lens. The K 28/2 (optically not the same lens as the M 28/2 or the A 28/2, by the way) is well known for its excellent sharpness, color, and "3-D" rendering -- check out the rave PF lens reviews at SMC Pentax 28mm F2 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database . The K 28/2 is also sometimes named (or nicknamed) for its Zeiss "Distagon" and/or "Hollywood" roots from back in the mid-1970's -- well, more about that heritage later on, below...

This copy of the lens is in Excellent condition. The optics show no scratches, haze, or fungus, and there's only a minimum of dust. The mechanics are solid and focusing is buttery smooth. The aperture ring moves exactly as it should and the aperture blades are "snappy". Cosmetically, there are no dents or scratches -- just a few tiny paint nicks on the outer edge of the front bezel and just a bit of aperture ring wear on one side (visible in one of the images below). This is quite a pretty sample of a 40-year-old Pentax masterpiece. [I really do not want to sell it at all, but I can also really use the money.]

Here are a number of images showing this lens and its accessories (both "standard" and "optional"). [Please note that the original Pentax front and rear caps, along with a Pentax lens case (slightly oversize, and not the proper "SMC PENTAX 2/28" dedicated case) are included in this sale -- the optional Pentax PH-S52 dedicated hood (seemingly harder to find than the lens itself) and its hood case are available to the lens buyer only if he/she wants them, and would cost $75.00 additional above the cost of the lens.]

OK, here are a few links that might be of interest to anyone curious about the history behind the design of the legendary Pentax SMC K 28/2 "Distagon"/"Hollywood" lens:

First, a few general articles about the magical Pentax/Zeiss collaboration that begat the K 28/2 -

SMC Pentax 1:2/28: the poor man's Distagon?

The Pentax Distagon 28mm f/2: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Poor man's Zeiss Distagon 28mm f/2 "Hollywood"?

$60 Pentax that's actually a $800 Zeiss by designer of Stanley Kubrick's NASA glass - EOSHD

(although I have no idea where the "$60" in the above article could have ever come from -- the list price for the lens in October of 1976 was $429.50 USD and in January of 1978 it had risen to $471.00 USD).

Then, an Italian article with a lot of the technical details, along with a Google machine translation of the article (that works well enough) -

SMC PENTAX 28mm f/2 : LA STORIA NON SCRITTA

SMC PENTAX 28mm f/2 : HISTORY NOT [yet] WRITTEN

And here's a nice optical diagram graphic from the above Italian article -

[I am still in awe of the fact that fully two-thirds of the lens elements are ground from high refractive index glass -- this was quite a "deluxe" lens design.]

Well, thank you for your interest in this lens.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge

Shipping Services
USPS Insured Priority Mail

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
[The "Fine Print"]

1. The buyer may return the lens and accessories within 7 days at the buyer's expense if the items are not as described.

2. Please note that the dedicated Pentax PH-S52 hood and its matching hood case are optional, at additional cost, and are not included in the price for the lens (with its caps and case), and that the camera body shown is not included as part of the sale.

3. Please note that payment must be made by PayPal only and that shipment will be made only to the buyer's verified PayPal shipping address.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by fwcetus; 11-30-2016 at 06:37 PM.
12-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 53 (100%)
PM sent with interest in the "dedicated Pentax PH-S52 hood and its matching hood"
--Moe--

P.S. the ad photos were not visible on my PC
12-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 38 (100%)
Beauty and a hood to boot, good luck with the sale.

Overall for me the K28/2 is still the bestl wide angle lens that Pentax has ever made, a true classic.

Phil.
12-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
PM sent with interest in the "dedicated Pentax PH-S52 hood and its matching hood"
--Moe--

P.S. the ad photos were not visible on my PC

Hi, Moe.

Yes, "this is the rectangular lens hood for the 52mm 'wide' angle lenses (28mm and 35mm)".

However, I am sorry, but I'm not really interested in selling the hood, except as a courtesy (and, to be honest, as a possible inducement) to someone who might consider buying the K 28/2. I have not listed the hood for sale by itself (and am not too likely to do so - sorry.), for several reasons:

First, before the K 28/2 sells, I do not wish to remove that purchase option for the potential buyer.

Second, if the lens doesn't sell, and if I end up just keeping the K 28/2 (which would cure the "seller's remorse" I'm already feeling due to unwisely offering the lens for sale), I would then want the hood to use on it myself.

Third, if the K 28/2 does sell but the buyer didn't also want to purchase the hood, then I might likely still want the hood to use on my K 28/3.5.

Fourth, if the K 28/2 doesn't sell, and if I then wished to sell the K 28/3.5 instead, I might consider offering it as an option as part of the K 28/3.5 sale (although I'm not so sure of that, at the moment -- I'm starting to feel "seller's remorse", even for the hood, already).

The bottom line is that, at least right now, I am offering to also sell the hood as a courtesy to the K 28/2 buyer, and I am likely to otherwise hold onto the hood, at least for right now, for my own use on either the K 28/2 or the K 28/3.5 (or both).

I do understand that the PH-S52 hood is a tough one to find, especially at a favorable price, as it does seem to be harder to locate than each of the lenses if fits on - even the more rare ones (e.g., the K 28/2) - and I would not look forward to having to locate another one for myself later on.

As for the photos, I dunno -- I just checked, and I can see them in three different browsers (that use three separate hard drive locations for their temp file caches). (?)

I do wish you success, Moe, in finding one of these neat rectangular hoods for your own lens(es).

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Beauty and a hood to boot, good luck with the sale.

Overall for me the K28/2 is still the bestl wide angle lens that Pentax has ever made, a true classic.

Phil.

Hi, Phil.

Thanks for the "good luck" wishes. However, as I mentioned in another reply here, I'm already beginning to feel the pangs of "seller's remorse", and your "helpful" (LOL) comment about the K 28/2 being "the best wide angle lens that Pentax has ever made, a true classic" didn't help at all...

Last edited by fwcetus; 12-01-2016 at 11:46 AM.
12-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
want it

I sold mine right here on PF. Now I want to buy another.

---------- Post added 12-01-2016 at 04:20 PM ----------

Need to buy it, after I sold mine right here many years ago.
12-01-2016, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #6

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
Lens so good that I end up owning 2 copies of this. Chronic GAS at its worst.
12-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 111 (100%)
What a gem. Incredible 3D look to its' images!

12-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
PM sent
12-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sale pending . . .