Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 149 (100%)
Original Poster
Just got back from vacation I received some PMs regarding modfied IR cameras, will reply you guys right away.

If you like to have some cheaper one, I have a converted Ds and a DL2 for $450 each including EMS shipping

Last edited by frank; 09-01-2008 at 03:04 PM.
09-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
What kind of exposure time could be expected with a converted camera filtered?

I'm assuming that if one needs an IR on the front, then you could use a blueish hot filter (or custom WB) to get normal pics again?
09-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
What kind of exposure time could be expected with a converted camera filtered?

I'm assuming that if one needs an IR on the front, then you could use a blueish hot filter (or custom WB) to get normal pics again?
W/ a converted IR camera, you can take IR photos just as easy as you take normal photos w/ it before it's converted The exposure time is about the same or slightly slower than a normal camera. You can check the EXIF of those sample photos I posted above.

And no, you can't take normal photos w/ a converted camera, it's for IR only. The only way to take normal photos again is to convert it back.
09-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
W/ a converted IR camera, you can take IR photos just as easy as you take normal photos w/ it before it's converted The exposure time is about the same or slightly slower than a normal camera. You can check the EXIF of those sample photos I posted above.

And no, you can't take normal photos w/ a converted camera, it's for IR only. The only way to take normal photos again is to convert it back.
Ahh I see, there were some conversions, where rather the hot mirror was completely replaced with a clear filter. Which made the sensor sensitive to all light, so you could stick an IR in front for IR at the same speeds as normal, or stick a blue newtonian style filter in front to put back the filteration that the camera had prior to the modification.

But I'm going to guess that the straight IR conversion with the IR at the sensor level (then why use the R72 filter?) is most effective.

And dammit you're giving me harder delimas (43/1.9.... or a true IR backup camera....)

09-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
Ahh I see, there were some conversions, where rather the hot mirror was completely replaced with a clear filter. Which made the sensor sensitive to all light, so you could stick an IR in front for IR at the same speeds as normal, or stick a blue newtonian style filter in front to put back the filteration that the camera had prior to the modification.

But I'm going to guess that the straight IR conversion with the IR at the sensor level (then why use the R72 filter?) is most effective.

And dammit you're giving me harder delimas (43/1.9.... or a true IR backup camera....)
Even you take off the IR hot mirror, when putting an IR filter infront, the viewfinder will become very dark, hard to frame I guess. But w/ a dedicated IR camera, you can use it just like a normal camera

I've been using IR converted cameras for quite a while, and I think it's one of the coolest thing for a photo gear. Most of us taking photos for fun, and there aren't many things that are funner than an IR converted camera:

09-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Only a converted DL2 is left, all the rest have been sold already.

Price for the last DL2 is negotiable. It's in mint condition, looks pretty nice actually. Please let me know if you are interested.
09-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All converted camera have been sold Don't know when my friend is gonna get more cameras converted. So I'm gonna close this thread now ...