Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
[2 sold, 1 left] Three Vivitar [Komine] 28mm f/2.0 Close Focus Cult Classic Lenses

Lens #1 (SN 28310206) has been spoken for . . .

Lens #3 (SN 28500749) has been spoken for.

Lens #2 (SN 28406581) is still looking for a Good Home . . .

Here are three separate Pentax-mount Komine-built Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus lenses up for sale. These generally hard-to-find lenses prove that, among Vivitar lenses, it is not only the Series 1 lenses that can be interesting - sometimes one of the non-VS1 lens designs can turn out to be truly outstanding as well.

There actually have been about 20 distinctly different Vivitar 28mm lenses that fit various Pentax body mounts, and the number is almost 40 if one counts all the different Pentax mount type possibilities. Most are admittedly fairly pedestrian f/2.8 or f/2.5 designs, although there are two faster more interesting designs - one is a somewhat common f/2.0 (SN 22nnnnnn) design made by Kiron (whose only serious but all-too-common flaw seems to be a tendency to develop sticky aperture blades, a flaw unfortunately typical for many of the older Kiron-made lenses), but the other is a rather uncommon brilliant Komine-made (SN 28nnnnnn) f/2.0 Close Focus lens design that is likely the most highly sought-after of all the Vivitar 28mm lenses. [There is an exhaustive tabulation of the various Vivitar 28mm lenses in "The Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary".]

To get an idea of how highly the Vivitar [Komine] 28/2 CF lens is thought of, take a look at the "Vivitar (Komine 28xxxx) 28mm F2.0 MC Close Focus Wide Angle" lens reviews here on the Pentax forums - six of the seven reviewers rated the Vivitar 28/2 CF a full 10 out of 10, although one rated it "only" a 9 out of 10, for an average score of 9.86 out of 10.

Here are some links to other web pages, if you'd like to read some additional reviews or discussion threads or to view some sample image galleries:

A review by Robin Parmar (maintainer of "The Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary") for the "Vivitar 28mm 1:2.0 Close Focus Wide Angle [K01]"

A thread here on the Pentax Forums about the "Vivitar 28mm f/2 close focus"

A review and some sample pics in the Micro Four Thirds User Group forum about the "Vivitar 28mm f/2.0 Close Focus (Komine)"

A number of sample pics in the Sony Alpha E-Mount Camera User Group forum about the "Vivitar 28mm f/2.0 Close Focus (Komine made)"

Here is a specification sheet from Vivitar -

[I also have a large version of this spec sheet "thumbnail" posted at http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/v282cf/specsheet.jpg.]

And here is the lens diagram from the spec sheet showing the optical construction -

OK, let's get to the three copies I have for sale - Please do read the descriptions and view the images of each lens, and please do read as well the terms and notes at the end of the listing that do apply to all of them.

[Lens #1 has been sold.] Lens #1 (SN 28310206) - P/K-mount -[/B] variant "K01" in "The Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary" - $129.00 USD plus shipping - Optically, to my eyes, the glass on this lens is clear - there are no scratches, there is no haze or separation or fungus, and there is just a minimal number of tiny dust particles from the normal usage of a non-internal focusing lens. Mechanically, there seem to be no significant issues with this lens - the diaphragm blades are oil-free, the diaphragm action is "snappy", the diaphragm ring works as it should, the focus is buttery smooth, and there is just the very slightest mechanical wobble tangible in the barrel. Cosmetically, this lens in EXC+ condition overall - there are no dents or dings or scratches that I can see. This lens comes with a Vivitar slip-on front cap and a Pentax bayonet rear cap. [This lens, as the only non-P/KA-mount lens offered here, with the lowest serial number, is obviously the oldest of the three lenses, but it is the lens I have used the longest, and it has the cleanest glass and the prettiest cosmetics of the three lenses.]

Lens #2 (SN 28406581) - P/KA-mount - variant "A01" in "The Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary" - $149.00 USD plus shipping - Optically, to my eyes, the glass on this lens is clear - there are no scratches, there is no haze or separation or fungus, and there is just a relatively normal number of tiny dust particles from the normal usage of a non-internal focusing lens, although there is one slightly-larger-than-a-tiny-dust-particle-sized speck visible on one of the interior elements. Mechanically, there seem to be no issues with this lens - the diaphragm blades are oil-free, the diaphragm action is "snappy", the diaphragm ring works as it should, the focus is buttery smooth, and there is no mechanical looseness in the barrel. Cosmetically, this lens in VG condition overall - there are no dents or obvious scratches that I can see, but there are minor traces of wear on the diaphragm ring (just from use), the white and green markings are just a bit less bright than on the other two lenses, and there is one very tiny pin-point ding on the barrel adjacent to the mount flange (but this is not a dent in that there is no deformity in the metal barrel shape outside of that tiny pin-point). This lens comes with a Vivitar clip-on front cap and a Pentax bayonet rear cap. [I would estimate that this lens was the most used of the three lenses here for sale (although it does have the newest serial number), but it is fully functional and, as a P/KA-mount lens, it does offer the convenience of using normal (i.e., non-green-button) metering and exposure modes for taking those Vivitar 28/2 CF pics that you will enjoy.]

[Lens #3 has been sold.] Lens #3 (SN 28500749) - P/KA-mount - variant "A01" in "The Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary" - $169.00 USD plus shipping - Optically, to my eyes, the glass on this lens is clear - there are no scratches, there is no haze or separation or fungus, and there is just a relatively normal number of tiny dust particles from the normal usage of a non-internal focusing lens. Mechanically, there seem to be no issues with this lens - the diaphragm blades are oil-free, the diaphragm action is "snappy", the diaphragm ring works as it should, the focus is buttery smooth, and there is no mechanical looseness in the barrel. Cosmetically, this lens in EXC condition overall - there are no dents or dings or significant scratches that I can see, although there is one very superficial scratch on the focus ring (that cannot even be felt with the fingers, but can be barely seen in the first and third pics). This lens comes with a Vivitar clip-on front cap and a generic bayonet rear cap. [This lens is the prettiest of the two P/KA-mount lenses here for sale.]

And, in case you were wondering why I am selling these three lenses, I actually have four of 'em (due to terminal LBA), so that I "really" don't need the other three, and so I am selling three of 'em (but only in order to buy other lenses, of course - LOL).

Terms and Notes -

1. I am actually selling the three lenses individually, for $129, $149, and $169 (USD) (plus shipping), but the PF For Sale multi-item form really wants the total price for the three lenses to be stated (which seems rather irrelevant), so here is that total: $447 USD.

2. Shipping will be to the USA only, by USPS Insured Priority Mail, and will cost $20.00 USD in addition to the price of the lens.

3. Please note that payment must be made by PayPal only and that shipment will be made only to the buyer's verified PayPal shipping address.

4. The buyer may return a purchased lens and its caps within 7 days at the buyer's expense if the lens is not as described.

5. Please send me a private message if you are interested in any of these lenses, but, to minimize confusion, and to minimize extra back-and-forth PM's, PLEASE refer to any particular lens by its number (#1, #2, or #3) AND by its serial number.

I thank you very much for your interest in these cult classic lenses.

Last edited by fwcetus; 12-08-2016 at 03:52 PM.
12-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
RDP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
PM sent
12-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
Original Poster

Last edited by fwcetus; 12-07-2016 at 07:15 PM.