Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
Pentax FA31 Limited Lens (Please Read Description)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax FA31 Limited Lens (Please Read Description)

Asking Price
475.00 USD

Item Location
Houston, TX (United States)

Item Description
I am selling my FA31 Limited lens. I've had a long history with this lens and it's run into some troubles lately and I demand a higher level of performance from my lenses, so I've decided to part with this copy and refresh it with a new one. Please read this entire description before deciding if this lens is for you.

This had been my primary lens since I acquired it in April 2015 on my K-5IIs. It was a stellar performer there--there was good reason it didn't come off my camera very often! (I actually gave up on the Sigma 18-35 because of my love for this lens.) After I got the K-1, I used it far less but it was an excellent performer for me on that body. Then something happened...

It fell from my bag in Korea in July of last year. The fall knocked the hood loose, making infinity focus impossible even when the hood was adjusted back into place, although none of the glass was damaged. I had to send the lens to have it repaired by KEH and it seems to be ok since then, for the most part. I did bang the hood into a wall, denting the hood, but it doesn't seem to be behaving any worse than it had been aside from the cosmetics. (This means the original metal cap no longer fits on there. I've been using a pinch cap anyway.)

So is this lens ok? For the most part, yes. I don't have trouble focusing to infinity and performance stopped down is great. See below for link to images. Where I've had trouble with it is at f/2.8 and below, where I need it for my human subjects, for whom I do need as much reliability from my equipment as possible. The focus is a bit erratic. Resolution seems to be ok but it misses badly in these situations sometimes and it is necessary to take many photos to make sure I have the shot. I do get the photo, though, so it's not as though it can't focus. I don't see this behavior when stopped down. I think having the lens collimated wouldn't be a terrible thing, so if you're willing to put a small amount of money into the lens, I'm sure it can be the standout performer it used to be for me. Otherwise, I think you will find the lens to be adequate as is, just requiring a bit of patience, perhaps.

Cosmetically, the lens has some miscellaneous battle damage as you might expect for a lens that's been used for some 10,000 shots (not exaggerating) and has traveled some 60,000 miles around the world or so (also not exaggerating). I take the best care of my stuff I can so aside from the hood damage, I don't think you will find anything else objectionable.

Here's a folder with images I've shot in the past month (22MP each, shot with K-1):
Update your browser to use Google Drive - Drive Help

The Key West ones are right from the camera. The ones of the girl are fully edited by my usual process.

Included Accessories:
Original pouch (mint, never used it)
Original metal cap (mint, never used it)
Generic 58mm pinch cap (what I used)
Original back cap
Box and Paperwork

Shipping Policy:
Domestic shipping (USA) is included in the price. For international shipping, I will subsidize the cost of shipping up to what domestic shipping would cost and you will have to cover the rest. I will calculate that number before the purchase is finalized.

International buyers: I will only ship to a Paypal confirmed address. I will not accept payment from you and then ship to a friend of yours in the USA for him to forward on. You are welcome to have a friend pay me with his account and verified Paypal address and then I will ship to him. What he does with it after that is between you and him--the transaction will be between him and me, then--and all risk is assumed to be yours once domestic delivery is received. I am, however, happy to ship it to your non-USA address on your Paypal account. Please check about customs fees and duties beforehand.

For those in the Houston area, local pickup and testing can be arranged.

For some reason, I didn't take a photo of the front like this rear image. I don't know why. Let me know if you want to see one. Below you can see the flattening on the lower hood piece.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Included

Shipping Services
USPS, FedEx

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Given the lens's history, I'm giving a bit more time to evaluate it. You can have 20 days after receipt to evaluate the lens. If you find it unsatisfactory, I'll accept a full return, minus the cost of shipping to you. Return shipping is on you.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

03-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 12 (93%)
PM send