PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax Spotmeter V Zone VI Modified

Asking Price
292.40 USD

Item Location
Hansville, Washington (United States)

Item Description
This is a Pentax Spotmeter V Zone VI modified. It comes with lens cap, original manual, case, and two sets of batteries for operation. One set of batteries is slightly used since I wanted to make sure all was in working order.

I have been the sole owner of this spotmeter. It hasn't been used for many years but has always been stored inside; protected, dry, and away from any harsh conditions. I had actually forgotten about it until recently cleaning a closet and coming upon all my old film camera gear. It is clean and functional with a few very minor handling blemishes as can be seen in the photos. The meter works smoothly and holds steady.

This spotmeter served me well back in the days I was shooting film. Though the Zone VI modifications apply most specifically to black and white photography this meter enhanced my working with color film as well. After I bought it my success rate in capturing the images as I saw them in my minds eye increased dramatically. I found it to be an essential tool for the film photographer who uses the zone system.

You will not find many of these with the Zone VI modification available these days.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
Free Shipping

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
I'm not accepting returns though I will insure the package for shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

01-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
I deleted the comment because it was intended to praise the meter in general, not knowing the specific attributes of this one. I am glad the OP explained the modifications. They sound wonderful.

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 01-17-2018 at 04:48 PM.
01-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Original Poster
Actually, there is more substance to this meter than a sticker though I may have misunderstood your comment. There are physical modifications that were made to the meter by the Zone VI Studio that made it more effective for use with the zone system. Most specifically the zone system as applies to black and white photography.

There has been some debate over the last 20 some years on the value add of the modifications but in my experience, the guidance of professional photographers who's workshops I attended, and from the testimonials of others that can be found on the web these meters added value as promised.

The following quote from another post lists the modifications that have been made.

"The modifications, on the other hand, involve physical changes to the meter. Here's what Zone VI Studios said they did in making the modifications: Installation of superior photo-electric cells; installation of a series of step-down baffles to eliminate flare; installation of a braod-spectrum (ultra-black) infrared absorbent coating to eliminate reflections; design and installation of four corrective filters, intended to match the meter's spectral response to the spectral response of the film."

---------- Post added 01-18-18 at 02:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I deleted the comment because it was intended to praise the meter in general, not knowing the specific attributes of this one. I am glad the OP explained the modifications. They sound wonderful.
No problem, it game me an opportunity to put in some technical details about the modifications. Especially great for the dynamic range offered by the dynamic range of black and white film in particular. The meter in general was just an essential tool for composition even when I was shooting color slide film.

A very useful tool.
01-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 159 (99%)
PM Sent